The online racing simulator
Some PC parts...
(9 posts, started )
Some PC parts...
My uncle just gave me some PC parts including:

Graphics Cards:

PNY Verto GF FX5200 128MB DDR (AGP I think)
ATi Rage XL

Hard Drives:

MAXTOR D540X-4D 5400 RPM - 40GB Ultra ATA/1000 Hard Drive (IDE) (x2)
Western Digital WD400EB-00CPF0 - 40GB Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
FUJITSU MPE3204AT 20GB 5400 RPM (IDE)

Various PCI Boards:

ASONIC-8738-4C (Sound Card)
BELKIN F5U219 PCI REV:4 (USB Ports)
AudioPCI 5200 9921 (It is in the name!)

RAM:

Samsung 256MB DDR PC2100 CL2.5
ATA PC 2700 DDR SDRAM 32Mx64 256MB DDR DIMM

Motherboards:

MicroStar MS-7173 - Works but currently has nothing in it except its intergrated ATi IXP 50. I may use it to replace my current motherboard. It is Socket LGA775

MicroStar MS-6577 VER: 4.1 - Fully loaded (apart from the GFX card which was the FX5200 that I took out!) It is Socket 478 and currently has an Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz CPU.

The reason I post this is I want advice on how to upgrade my computer.

These are the details of my PC (currently - according to PC World - the place my PC is exclusive to):

CPU: Intel Celeron D356 Processor (3.33GHz)
Motherboard: Foxconn P4M800P7MB
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM - PC2700
Hard Drive: 160GB UDMA 7200RPM
CD / DVD Drive: Dual layer DVD±RW drive
Video / Graphics Card: VIA/S3 UniChrome Pro IGP 64MB Shared and ATi Radeon X800 PRO VIVO 256MB AGP Graphics Card
Sound Card: Realtek AC'97 Audio Card
Network Card: Realtek 8139 / 810X (Onboard)
Ports: Information
Mouse: Some crappy USB optical mouse that broke in like a month - no link as the one TheTechGuys talk about isn't mine
Keyboard: Some crappy PS/2 keyboard that keeps playing up

If it helps for information, here is a note:

Sean (that is the wrong spelling!)

Here are some parts I promised you

1: P4 478 2.8 GHz Board + Processor
2: LGA775 Board (Sorry No CPU)
3: Hard Drives around 40GB each
4: 2x 256MB DDR RAM (For P4 478 Board)
5: Various PCI Boards that will help to upgrade your old PCs.

Have fun assembling

Frank.

P.S. P4 478 Board runs perfect.

That isn't all quite right and he forgot to mention some stuff but, oh well! Please advise me on the best upgrade, and sorry if this thread is noob-ish.
Any help?
Am i understanding correctly that you are asking which parts from what your uncle gave you, will make your existing PC better?
If so, then tbh, none of them will
Your uncle dropped a big load of crap on you
If your 512 megs of RAM are 1 module, install either of the 256ers he sent in the second slot. Use the Samsung if it clocks 166MHz and the ATA if it doesn't.
Quote from GFresh :Am i understanding correctly that you are asking which parts from what your uncle gave you, will make your existing PC better?
If so, then tbh, none of them will

lol, this. sell the parts on ebay or something and use the money to buy a gift for ur uncle.
TheTechGuys were wrong, my computer uses a different type of memory to what I got. Also, there are only 2 power cables which are being used for the X800 and the 160GB Hard Drive meaning I can not use another hard drive. I gave the 5200 (to upgrade from the MX440) to my brother. I have fitted the USB PCI card so far. The MS-7173 is actually better than my current motherboard, in ways such as it has a PCI-Express slot.
Quote from shaun463 :TheTechGuys were wrong, my computer uses a different type of memory to what I got. Also, there are only 2 power cables which are being used for the X800 and the 160GB Hard Drive meaning I can not use another hard drive. I gave the 5200 (to upgrade from the MX440) to my brother. I have fitted the USB PCI card so far. The MS-7173 is actually better than my current motherboard, in ways such as it has a PCI-Express slot.

It's useless without a CPU and PCI-e graphics card
I could take out my Intel Celeron D356 and put it in. I could get an ATi HD4350 to go with it too.
Quote from shaun463 :I could take out my Intel Celeron D356 and put it in. I could get an ATi HD4350 to go with it too.

I'd insist that if you can, stay with your 'current' motherboard with an AGP x8 slot. The x800 (w/ BIOS upgrades) can probably destroy the 4350... right?

Some PC parts...
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG