The online racing simulator
BMW E30 M3 V10 Build
(39 posts, started )
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :My dad has a 1984 318i. Is it possible to put a V8 in one of those?

Even bigger engines fit. Sometimes the firewall needs to be moved back a bit.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Even bigger engines fit. Sometimes the firewall needs to be moved back a bit.

My dad said you need to do a bunch of frame extending and rebuilding in order to put an engine that big in. So is he wrong?
he's right, you also need to do many other things, like suspension modding or to install better brakes because v8 engine weights a lot more than 1.8 4 cylinder engine
Frame extending... No. The firewall may need some adjustment. And better brakes/suspension is a given.
Why not just put the 3.6 inline 6 out the 2nd m5 or 535 Sport?....

Its almost a straight swap and no buchering the car to get it in.....

You dont want to spend that much money on a 318....
Quote from Foilpact :Why not just put the 3.6 inline 6 out the 2nd m5 or 535 Sport?....

But... unless the engine comes in a plywood case with a 'V10 in a box' it's just not the same.

V10 in a box = new car meme.
Amazing build this. I expect it's probably lighter than the old V12s from the 750 / 850 that a few nutters have put in.
Quote from Foilpact :Why not just put the 3.6 inline 6 out the 2nd m5 or 535 Sport?....

Well, I love the car and I grew up around it so to me, it would be worth putting a V8 in the thing. Some people have already done it anyway.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :My dad said you need to do a bunch of frame extending and rebuilding in order to put an engine that big in. So is he wrong?

Your dad is right. Firewall is just one thing, others have been mentioned yet.
The S38,S36,M88(From the E34 M5) are all quite a bit of work to fit into an E30 chassis. A V8 is one of the most simple swaps. They are generally very short so It's just a matter of custom motor mounts and drivetrain. The S38 and all other varieties are long motors. They require some very decent pounding of the firewall.

One very common swap that will leave you with plenty of power is the M or S50 series of engine from the E36 3 series.

Either way if you do your research you will find what is possible and what isn't. A v8 swap will likely run you ~$2k Depending on the motor and how much of the work you can do yourself. An M50 swap averages around ~$700 If you can do most of the work yourself.
a lightbulb has ignited somewhere in my head (and now I can't sleep with light coming out of my nose)

A 344 E30 would be nice to have... I just wonder how much it would cost to make one

BMW E30 M3 V10 Build
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG