The online racing simulator
My first PC :)
(43 posts, started )
Quote from george_tsiros : a motherboard with via chipset? why!??!?

VIA makes pretty good CPU's, even better than Intel. Compare VIA Nano to Intel Atom.
4200 is 533 (?) mhz, 5300 is 667mhz and 6400 is 800mhz.
If you won't play anything but LFS, I would suggest GeForce 6600GT/7600GT/8600GT/9500GT.
#28 - CSU1
Quote from Shadowww :4200 is 533 (?) mhz, 5300 is 667mhz and 6400 is 800mhz.
If you won't play anything but LFS, I would suggest GeForce 6600GT/7600GT/8600GT/9500GT.

SORRY, i'M SHOPPING FOR RAM ATM AND i DON'T KNOW WHICH OF THE ABOVE i SHOULD GET???
Quote from CSU1 :SORRY, i'M SHOPPING FOR RAM ATM AND i DON'T KNOW WHICH OF THE ABOVE i SHOULD GET???

Press capslock & check your mobo manual.
Sorry, I didn't do much research about the 106, but as my 214 is AGP and a higher model, I would have thought yours to be AGP as well.
Quote from Shadowww :VIA makes pretty good CPU's, even better than Intel. Compare VIA Nano to Intel Atom.

the intel is far better if you consider performance to power consumption.

the via is faster, indeed.
Quote from george_tsiros :the intel is far better if you consider performance to power consumption.

tho i cant see why he´s talking about VIA CPU's to be faster than Intel, when the first thing they said about VIA was that the Mobo had a VIA CHIPSET :P
#33 - CSU1
THE MANUAL SAYES - DDR2 667/533/400 x 2 DIMMs, Max 4GB

BUT WHICH DO i NEED 4200, 5200 OR 6400 ?

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE TO MY BOARD?
i DON'T KNOW WHY YOU ARE SHOUTING

YOU CAN PUT WHATEVER YOU WANT

i WOULD BUY TWO "STICKS", 1gb EACH, OF ddr2 667mhZ

NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE ANYWAY
#35 - CSU1
...Ok, earlier I was on my ipod posting and caps was stuck on for some reason. Sorry.

My question is: Is all DDR2 ram the physically the same regardless of it's frequency ie. can I simply buy any DDR2 ram and it will fit and work eg this one?

Thank you, and sorry for the confusion

E;

ok the above obviosly will not work -> manual sayes

Quote :System Memory
· Two 240-pin DIMM slots
· Supports DDR2 667/533/400
· Supports up to 4GB DDR2 memory

what I don't understand is that in this link the description sayes

Quote :Specification
- 2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM
- Standard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5, Double-Sided)

SDRAM-DDR2...is this the same as standard DDR2 or different???

E2;

Bought this fo €20
http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf8/8500gt.htm
?
I have no clue what you guys are talking about; VIA better than Intel... That's kind of like saying Matrox is better than nVidia... Don't you think?
That maybe true in the low - power netbook CPU level, but not in the enthusiast high end level.

Anyways, about your RAM question. I believe SDRAM DDR2 Is the same as DDR2, but different wording. Kinda like DDR2-6400 or DDR2 rated @ 800 mhz, i guess.

Anyways, the ram that you stated wasn't designed to work in you Foxtrot motherboard. Why?

I forgot the real reason but anyways, PC-6400 (DDR2) RAM runs at 800 mhz, as stated above. Your motherboard manual, or the specs on the website state that you can only run RAM running @ 667 mhz max.

Thus, you can always test it out. Sometimes things work on things that weren't designed to do so... like gaming on an EEE PC

Any RAM that is to run at default at 400 / 533 / 667 should work on your motherboard as it was designed to. One that runs at 800 MIGHT work, but I suggest you get one that runs @ 667 (as stated on MOBO spec. QUALITY RAM IS BETTER THOUGH. Instead of getting no name OEM RAM, get like Corsair, OCZ, or brand - name RAM They are generally more reliable, and that is what you want for a PC!

To sum it up. Yes, any DDR2 RAM will fit in a DDR2 So-dimm, provided that they are for a desktop (laptop is a different story) - because all DDR2 (desktop) RAM have the same number of pins. However, use ONLY RAM THAT IS STATED TO WORK FOR YOUR DESIGNATED MOBO!!!

EDIT: Sorry if this is confusing... =D
we aren't saying that via is better than intel. we're saying that via's lowpowerconsumption cpu is faster than intel's atom. just that. notice what i said.

there are motherboards and/or chipsets that are picky with ram.

there are motherboards and/or chipsets that can use anything, but need careful configuration (DFI lanparty)

there are motherboards that don't care much.

i've always bought very cheap ram and i haven't had a problem in 10 years of computoring.

meh

whatever
Quote from george_tsiros :we aren't saying that via is better than intel. we're saying that via's lowpowerconsumption cpu is faster than intel's atom. just that. notice what i said.

there are motherboards and/or chipsets that are picky with ram.

there are motherboards and/or chipsets that can use anything, but need careful configuration (DFI lanparty)

there are motherboards that don't care much.

i've always bought very cheap ram and i haven't had a problem in 10 years of computoring.

meh

whatever

Ooooooooohhh... Just making sure. I did state that they are in the low power consumption level. But that still doesn't make them faster, does it?

Basically... but that's taking into account that you get lucky. You may get away seldomly with cheap ram, but to be sure, you'd want to stick with QUALITY RAM. RAM doesn't cost that much these days, especially for DDR2. C'mon, I don't have a job... they must be cheap =D

There will always be yields of stuff like this. You may run into a crappy piece of electronic. Who knows?
well, you yourself said you have no clue what we're talking about, right? via's cpu is faster than the atom.

wait... what did you say?
Quote :I did state that they are in the low power consumption level. But that still doesn't make them faster, does it?

uh...? both the via nano and the intel atom are low power consumption cpus. that doesn't make them slower or faster... i don't know what does "make them faster" even mean but i know that the nano is faster than the atom.

Quote :Basically... but that's taking into account that you get lucky. You may get away seldomly with cheap ram

my friends who've bought kingston corsair etc have had more issues than me who has been buying the next-to-cheapest ram. 'transcend' 'jetram' stuff like that. not sure what is sold as 'cheapest' over there but anyway: i don't "seldomly get away with it". my machine right now has two kinds of cheap ram in it and it goes solid as a rock. overclocked too.

also, what does "QUALITY RAM" mean? the cheapest 1GB ddr2 stick i can buy here is micron's 'rendition' for 10 euros, the next one is ocz at 13 euros and then some kingston for 14-15 euros.
there is also corsair ram 800MHz ddr2 1GB stick for 21 euros.
so to understand what you suggest, which one should he buy?
i would suggest the rendition ram (micron memory chips)
What on earth is your problem? I'm trying to be nice here, and you're just going at everything I am posting. Uhhh... hmm what did I say?

"I did state that they are in the low power consumption level. But that still doesn't make them faster, does it?" Intel CPUs are slower in the low power consumption level. How about Core i7s? Ooooh. Let's do a benchmark!

Uhhh... let's see what you said, hmm? the via is faster, indeed. Ohhh... really? Via is faster than Intel? Oh, I didn't know that.

Sure... go buy some cheap crap, because we know for a fact that cheap is better!

If you want to correct me, fine. I don't even mind if you say I am wrong. If you do, tell me. I am here to learn! I will be more than happy to acknowledge that I made a mistake and I will admit it too. If you correct me, I will probably have made a mistake. I've seen your responses, and you are older, and probably have more experience. But if you are going to post it in such a 'mentally hilarious way' such suggesting that if you try to not put words or phrases such as 'hmm, i forget what he said. let's look!' or 'so to reword his stupid post, buy 10D4MU-31Dy RAM!" then get ready to get a post in a similar manner right back at you. I seriously don't know what I did to offend you or make you make me sound like a retard.
we specificaly compared the via nano with the intel atom. see:

Quote :
Quote from Shadowww :VIA makes pretty good CPU's, even better than Intel. Compare VIA Nano to Intel Atom.

the intel is far better if you consider performance to power consumption.

i reply about the via cpu. not a via cpu. the intel. not an intel. i am talking about the aforementioned VIA Nano and intel atom. like shadowww.

and again, here
Quote from george_tsiros :we aren't saying that via is better than intel. we're saying that via's lowpowerconsumption cpu is faster than intel's atom. just that. notice what i said.

about the quoting, i do it because it is easier to read replies to specific parts of messages. just that.

i can not understand why you now talk as if i said that VIA's CPUs are faster than Intel's CPUs. i never said that.

Quote from GenesisX : Sure... go buy some cheap crap, because we know for a fact that cheap is better!

... what?
#42 - CSU1
...Soooo,

Been trying to get back driving this past few evenings, rig is all set up now

except, with the cheap ass gfx card posted above(nvidia 8500GT) and new ram installed I want a little more CPU power.

But, before the new GFX card install I was able to OC with little problem and now the PC just freezes if I try the OC from within Foxcon's app or the bios the result is the same

I tried looking the interwebs and people say PSU power and such...

Bios is up to date and I'm running out of ideas and don't want to mess around for fear of melting something...

Must I OC everything on the board to match ie. is there a missmatch in frequenceys when I set CPU from 133mhz to 165mhz?
My first PC:

My first PC :)
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG