The online racing simulator
Ban Tobacco Advertising?
(38 posts, started )
Agreed - we should ALL be allowed to shoot a fox using a hunting dog, whilst smoking asbestos cigarettes!!!

Why do the government and the 'pressure lobbies' want everything banned? And why does the Health and Safety exectutive enforce stupid rules. If someone gets tippex in their eye whilst refilling it, how is that the companies fault? Personally, I blame Americans.

*runs*
Quote from sweetreid :I don't know if home made skins illegally using copyrighted tobacco logos qualifies as advertising.

My thoughts also. Tobacco companies are not paying anything to have their brands featured in replica skins in LFS, and the skinner does not stand to benefit (financially or otherwise) by making a skin with tobacco sponsorship. There's no commercial relationship that could make an LFS skin be considered as "advertising" on behalf of the tobacco companies.
This is a true story, I was in amsterdam at the weekend and I saw a kid going vroom vroom and waving round a pack of empty malboro reds 'racing edition' he'd found on a table. His parents were not happy when they noticed.

If you can be sure that not a single kid will be influenced in any way by tobacco advertising then by all means make skins with it, if there is any doubt then surely it aint a good thing to do?

At the end of day it comes down to peoples own concience, I started this thread to maybe make a few people think and if we see a few less skins plasterd with ads then cool
If your going to be influenced by writing on a car then what chance have you got making it through life, that's my opinion on the situation at hand in the whole tobacco advertising situation. I really think this world is coming to a sad state of affairs where people will be suing companies for "making" them buy chocolate, cigarettes etc.

In the end I feel it's people trying to place blame on others for things they see wrong in themselves and also there's some just trying to get some quick cash.

Keiran
Quote from tristancliffe :Why do the government and the 'pressure lobbies' want everything banned?

*chases after you*
Lol Looney, you have a good habit of quoting the 'best' parts of my post and adding an amusing comment/pic. Keep it up, I love it.
Quote from southamptonfc : I started this thread to maybe make a few people think and if we see a few less skins plasterd with ads then cool

well.. that is never going to happen unless your some rich son of a gun with a ton of money to afford your own car, pitcrew, driver, etc.
I make a point of NOT using tobacco advert skins, or non-tobacco versions. Its fundimentally absurd why they can have (yes, I know Jordan are no longer in F1),say, BE ON EDGE on the wings. I don't need to get out a set of scrabble tiles to know it is a suicide advert .

*goes off to get images for a national secular society skin*
Don't take this wrong.... just tossing out thoughts...

BUT, perhaps something could be put in place in LFS or LFSW that permits the users to filter out skins they do not wish to download. Perhaps something like 'ratings'. A skin containing tobacco ads or marijuana leaves could be classed as 'M' for Mature, and users could choose to filter out (not auto download) any skin rated as 'M'.
Quote from SKurjz :Don't take this wrong.... just tossing out thoughts...

BUT, perhaps something could be put in place in LFS or LFSW that permits the users to filter out skins they do not wish to download. Perhaps something like 'ratings'. A skin containing tobacco ads or marijuana leaves could be classed as 'M' for Mature, and users could choose to filter out (not auto download) any skin rated as 'M'.

I disabled skin autodownload. Don't want to waste my time downloading stuff that's only cosmetic.
Quote from SKurjz :A skin containing tobacco ads or marijuana leaves could be classed as 'M' for Mature, and users could choose to filter out (not auto download) any skin rated as 'M'.

Does this image want to make you start smoking tobacco?

Does this image make you want to start smoking cannabis?

Does this image make you want to start drinking guinness?

Viewing a Tobacco/Cannabis/Booze/Mcdonalds advert on a skin will not make you start smoking/eating/drinking more of whatever the skin is advertising if you do not want it in the first place.

Next weeks discussion - Does watching violent movies make you more likely to go shoot someone up with an Ak-47?
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Does watching violent movies make you more likely to go shoot someone up with an Ak-47?

No, but playing Grand Theft Auto does.*

* According to the trippy and hallucinogenic world of Jack Thompson
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Does this image want to make you start smoking tobacco?

http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/tob_flower.jpg

Does this image make you want to start smoking cannabis?

http://library.thinkquest.org/ ... annabis_Specimen_6743.jpg

Does this image make you want to start drinking guinness?

http://www.lonestartimes.com/images/Bramanti/guinness.gif

Viewing a Tobacco/Cannabis/Booze/Mcdonalds advert on a skin will not make you start smoking/eating/drinking more of whatever the skin is advertising if you do not want it in the first place.

Next weeks discussion - Does watching violent movies make you more likely to go shoot someone up with an Ak-47?

LoOney,

Of course someone had to take my post incorrectly, your reply should have been directed at the starter of this thread not I, as I think you and I are both on the same side of this discussion.

I have no objections to any skin someone could dream up for LFS,(well mebbe draw the line at Kelly Clarkson, or feminine hygene products...) I am also against censorship. One thing I can't get enough of though... is options +) More options make it possible to please more people, please more people, and you could theoretically lead to a larger piece of the pie....

Ban Tobacco Advertising?
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG