The online racing simulator
first problem with lfs can anyone help please? [solved - packet loss]
I keep getting disconnected, i am on patch u and havent changed anything since racing yesterday but i can get on a server, everyone is lagging (to me) and I am too, keep jumping ahead etc. then I disconnect with no error message

also, the little network bar things (sorry I'm not very technical lol) are not as they normally are, I have attached a screen grab of where they are at before i get the disconnect

Can anyone help please?

thx!
Attached images
untitled.JPG
Have you tried a fresh installation of patch U?
nope, was hoping for an easier solution as it means I gotta set up all my controls again seems like other people in this section of the forum are having the same problem with this packet loss... is anyone else having the problem since the latest patch?

I will try a re-install and let you know
actually thinking about it the only thing that has changed is I d/l'ed all the setups from setup field in one zip file and put all them in, would that affect it do you think? That is the ONLY thing I have done different...
I have just tried a fresh install and it is still jerking around being all laggy, I don't understand this, I'm really gutted
have you tested in single player? just to rule out obvious hardware.

but as you say, your problem may be similar to alot of other people that have already posted here.

as i said in another thread, google for 'ping plotter' and run it to check your packet loss.
Has anything changed in your PC or more importantly your network or the way you connect to it? . any new HW ?
Do yo share your connection with others on a network? .
Do you use a wireless router? (check the arial?) if yes have you enabled security?
Do you use P2P software? sometimes this can run when you think its off. Is your OS downloading updates automatically?

What are you system and connection specs?

SD.
first of all thanks for responding and trying to help, I appreciate it

(answers in bold)

Has anything changed in your PC or more importantly your network or the way you connect to it? Nope any new HW ? Nope
Do yo share your connection with others on a network? . No
Do you use a wireless router? (check the arial?) if yes have you enabled security? I use a router but it's not wireless
Do you use P2P software? No and I have checked my task manager to make sure nothing like that is running also have done full spybot and virus check in safety mode, nothing either sometimes this can run when you think its off. Is your OS downloading updates automatically? Yes but nothing is coming down right now or has in a while now and these problems started yesterday

What are you system and connection specs?

2ghz P4
9800 pro
1 gig ram
soundblaster sound

the weird thing is that this has just started happening today, I play LFS nearly every day with no problems up till now

I ran this pingplotter tool but have no idea how to read the results... I have attached it to see if you know what it means!

Attached images
untitled.JPG
hehe, first of all, when you run ping plotter, set it up to ping google or something like that. that way we can see the losses as it jumps from exchange to exchange.

i dont know what you did there as it only had one jump. look at my attachement to see what you should be looking for.
Attached images
PACKET LOSS_pointer.JPG
lol ok I'm learning here

here is what I got;
Attached images
untitled.JPG
well, from the looks of that your ISP sucks royally, just like mine

this is becoming VERY VERY common these days as ISP seek to provide QUANTITY over QUALITY of service.

i bet you have no problems downloading or anything else, meaning that you have plenty bandwidth, but unfortunately the quality of your service sucks big time. LFS is particularly sensitive to those packet losses, so basically LFS is a bit of a no go area

i am in the same boat. at the moment i am stuck to playing LFS over a LAN with my bro until i change ISP which i dont see happening very soon.
oh really? how can it change overnight though? Do you recommend a good ISP that would be better for LFS? I was looking at Bulldog, but I'm guessing that would be worse than BT...

You're right, I have no worries downloading or with any other online games, I play WH40k regularly and UT2004 etc. no probs

Also, is there any way I can contact them about this packet loss and confront them with the issue?
Yes, that's it. The worst thing about your pingplot is the latency of the first few hops. Hop #2 is right in your area, and the pings to that one are less than great already. There may be a problem with your line (adsl?) or BT's service in your area is simply oversubscribed.

Hops 2-9 are within BT's network and apparently you can't even access these properly. I'd recommend doing a pingplot to the same IP (216.239.59.104) at different times of the day (or night) with the same number of samples. If it looks significantly better at off-peak times, then your ISP's network is to blame. If it doesn't, it would indicate a problem with your line.
ok will do, thanks for everyone's help, great bunch of guys

wish me luck
Meh this sucks i have the exact same connection as my bro but i dont see why his doesnt work and mine does. I have had warping/pausing/lagging problems before but i seem to take everything off to do with lfs and reinstall and im fine so i really dont get it
hi all, thanks for all your help, turns out you were right, rung bt and informed them of the problem, they sorted it out within 2 days which isn't bad going I suppose

thanks again for all the help, great forum
they really sorted it out?

did they say what the problem was? or how they fixed it. if BT can, hopefully my ISP can too when I get round to calling........
something to do with the exchange, I'm no technical person so I didn't understand most of the stuff they were saying (confused me with science...), but they were aware of the problem already from other complaints so it wasn't just me...I would give them a call mate, worked for me, 0 packet loss now according to ping plotter, and my LFS multiplayer is smoooooth
2 days for BT to fix something. Thats got to be an all-time record. Seriously, I deal with BT on a monthly basis for businesses and with exception of major problems, these little niggly things take ages.

Sounds like it could be a case of a DSLAM (the bit that connects the incoming ADSL connections to the web), or the line its connected to, being over subscribed, or that some other equipment was causing noise on the lines.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Sounds like it could be a case of a DSLAM (the bit that connects the incoming ADSL connections to the web), or the line its connected to, being over subscribed, or that some other equipment was causing noise on the lines.

DSLAM actually connect your line to ATM network,and not the web directly, telephone providers use bettween exchanges and main nodes.

Thing which nowdays seriously suck with most ADSL providers(its same here in my country ).They mention with big letters the speed and hiding the fact that ADSL is in fact a shared connection with ratio from good 1:10 to badly 1:40-1:50 so a 2Mbit line can turn in worst scenarion to 50kbit line or ISP do the other thing by throwing away packets if there is too many on network.

Also a problem is if the telephone line in the ground is very old.It mean then a lot of lost signal affecting the quality of your ADSL line but mostly the biggest issue I noticed ISP allow the line to be very over subscribed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG