The online racing simulator
Quote from Forbin :This forum helps and has helped me greatly in that respect.

Or at least insofar as understanding the geeks in the rest of the world.

Hehe!
Quote from tristancliffe :

*except boring open wheel hotlap racing - I just watched some Formula 1 at Monaco, and it was the dullest motor-racing I've ever had the misfortune to watch, with terrible single file racing, no action, and rarely overtaking. Seeing a former underdog like Jenson Button win was the best bit...oh wait.

Fixed

The fallacy of over generalization for the win.
Quote from tristancliffe :...NASCAR...with terrible commentary...

This.

American racing commentary is absolutely awful. You could be watching the most exciting race ever and they'd still say the most asinine and cliche things. One of the biggest offenders for me is the guy who does AMA racing commentary, Ralph Sheheen (see youtube vid below). I can't even watch AMA because of him. He just comes across as a used car salesman with gobs of American-style faked enthusiasm.

The only exception to this is the Formula 1 commentary team*, who happen to be 3/4ths British, Bob Varsha being the only American.

*David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, Bob Varsha, Peter Windsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YSnCpc0a4 (first guy you hear is Freddie Spencer, Ralph Sheheen is the other guy)
Quote from Forbin :This.

American racing commentary is absolutely awful. You could be watching the most exciting race ever and they'd still say the most asinine and cliche things.

The only exception to this is the Formula 1 commentary team*, who happen to be 3/4ths British, Bob Varsha being the only American.

*David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, Bob Varsha, Peter Windsor

I knew there was a reason why Derek Daly was invited to commentate for American GT races
I remember watching an ALMS race last year on NBC, and when the green flag went up the commentator just said 'here they go" and then didn't say anything for like 2 corners, meanwhile there was like 5 or 6 passes going on.

Most of the Speed guys do a good job, though. I love it when Hobbs goes a little senile during F1 practices and starts making engine noises.
Quote from lizardfolk :Fixed

The fallacy of over generalization for the win.

Someone doesn't know what "over generalisation" means. I was quite specific. But if you like watching talentless drivers on dull tracks in old fashioned cars where anything untoward is greeted by yellow flags whilst fondling lizards then that's your problem

I wonder how long FM takes to get here and cries about the small aside without Reading the last couple of dozen posts.
Quote from tristancliffe :Someone doesn't know what "over generalisation" means. I was quite specific.

Probably not your strong suit tristan...but think.

You just generalized NASCAR with 1 race. I did the same to F1 with 1 monaco race.

Quote from tristancliffe :But if you like watching talentless drivers on dull tracks in old fashioned cars where anything untoward is greeted by yellow flags whilst fondling lizards then that's your problem

Sure, it's much better than watching whinny sissy boys with heads a million times larger than their family jewels play follow the leader with 15 minute margins between each car. Who knows, maybe F1 drivers might stop acting like scared little girls who wince at every minor contact after the set foot in a muscular stock car...
My example from from one race, but that's not the only one I'm making an opinion from.

Why is watching drivers with brains smaller than their bollocks driving seconds apart yet somehow still managing to have absolutely no action on track any better? I've never watching a boring Grand Prix. But I was yawning through that drivel last night.

The irony of being told to think by Lizardfolk - ha ha ha ha ha
Quote from tristancliffe :My example from from one race, but that's not the only one I'm making an opinion from.

Why is watching drivers with brains smaller than their bollocks driving seconds apart yet somehow still managing to have absolutely no action on track

Maybe you can explain to me exactly how finish margins under 1 second is no action? And how 15 second margins are exciting with no overtaking? *yawn*

Maybe the "drivers being stupid" argument is directed towards Americans as NASCAR isn't exactly a "southern" sport anymore? You calling Americans stupid?

The irony of being told to think by Lizardfolk - ha ha ha ha ha

And this is a based of...

While my comment had a lot of basis observing your horrendous conduct.
Follow my leader is dull regardless of the time interval. I love watching motorsports. I gawp at the level of skill from Ginetta Juniors through to Land Speed Records. I gawp at the level of technical perfection they all aim for. Whenever I do sit in front of the TV, which isn't very often at all, as my life is far too busy and rewarding, 85% of the time it's watching some form of motorsports.

Oddly enough, the ONLY motorsport I find dull and boring is US top-level stuff, or anything on ovals. And that's not exaggerating or trying to make a point - it's just genuinely dull for me, either as a generalisation or in specifics (not that you'd know the difference).

My housemate came home last night sometime after midnight and said 'Hi'. I tried to reply, but my brain had melted from watching shit racing on shit tracks with shit cars driven by shit drivers (apart from Montoya as far as I can tell, and he's fairly shit). I was able, eventually, to mumble a difficult greeting, but it was probably muffled by brain-juice coming out of my nose.

Exactly when did I mention that north/south has anything to do with it?

Oddly enough, the ONLY motorsport I find dull and boring is US top-level stuff, or anything on ovals. And that's not exaggerating or trying to make a point - it's just genuinely dull for me, either as a generalisation or in specifics (not that you'd know the difference).

We know this, so? What's your point? Why do you have to force your opinion on us? Do we have to share your opinion? Are you arrogant enough to believe that your opinion of "what motorsports should be" is the law of the universe?

Quote from tristancliffe :from watching shit racing on shit tracks with shit cars driven by shit drivers (apart from Montoya as far as I can tell, and he's fairly shit). I was able, eventually, to mumble a difficult greeting, but it was probably muffled by brain-juice coming out of my nose.

So...you consider NASCAR drivers shit despite the fact that no cross over from any other series including F1 has done well in NASCAR. (except Tony Stewart who came from IRL). Regarding perfection, the field in NASCAR and most IRL qualifying is generally separated by 1.5 seconds. The Kyoto 500 event in LFS was separated by merely .06 second. I gawp at the sheer intensity and perfection of these drivers to handle the oval so well that they can be that close to each other. Where one wayward slide, one tiny misentry, ONE ERRANT TWITCH will give you a big fat DNQ. I gawp the sheer mental strength of being in that kind of pressure yet hitting all the right marks on the oval. I gawp at the drivers ability to keep their cool while maintaining constant 2 wide, 3 wide, and 4 wide racing. Beating and banging right down to the last few meters to give us a .003 second photo finish. That's what's exhilerating, and that's what circuits are generally missing. What...Do you think all those close times and constant side by side battles were random?

Quote from tristancliffe :Exactly when did I mention that north/south has anything to do with it?

You said NASCAR drivers are dumb. The stereotype is that NASCAR drivers are from the Southern United States and they are generally stereotyped as hillbillies. In 2008, out of 50+ drivers only 20 are from the south.
You know my opinion. You don't need to agree. It's not being forced down your neck, I'm just explaining mine to you. If you don't like it, or don't think it matters, then let it be. Just ignore me. Stop coming back for more, with silly replies. Are you foolish enough to think that an opinion posted on the internet is done so to make other people agree with it?

Nope, not many people have done well at NASCAR from proper motorsports. This is for several reasons that I see it. 1) Most drivers that come over do so in their retirement and are thus only having a bit of a laugh. 2) As in other forms of motorsport, the car is king. 3) Not many WANT to come over in the first place.

NASCAR drivers are dumb - just listen to their interviews to see that. Some are undoubtedly hillbillies and rednecks. But the rest are just as dumb (with maybe the odd exception). American Sportsmen are one of the reasons America has the stereotype of being filled with ignorant, fat, neanderthal, sister-screwers. Exceptions exist - see some of the wonderful USofA people on this forum that even I don't have a bad word to say about. But it's not by chance that the world hates America.

If you don't agree, then you can tell me so. You can post your own opinion too. But I'm as likely to agree with yours as you are with mine. So if you want to start crying about other people's opinions after a couple of posts then perhaps taking part in Internet Discussions isn't a good vocation for you.

Nope, not many people have done well at NASCAR from proper motorsports. This is for several reasons that I see it. 1) Most drivers that come over do so in their retirement and are thus only having a bit of a laugh. 2) As in other forms of motorsport, the car is king. 3) Not many WANT to come over in the first place.

1. I can name two right now. Marcos Ambrose and Jamie Wincup. Ambrose absolutely dominated in V8 Supercar and came over basically right after that. Wincup is dominating now and wanted to come over. What about Scott Pruet who dominated US GT racing? Max Papis who also was a Rolex Champ as well as 12h of Sebring champ. Retirement? Pffft. What are u smoking? Christian fittipaldi was quite serious about coming over as well. He even commited by moving to the US back when he had a go. If you think the frustration depicted by crossovers, especially those of Al Unser Jr, villeneuve, AJ Allmendinger, Andrew Ranger, Scott Speed, Hideo Fukuyama, Patrick Carpentier, and MANY others as a sign that they are just lollying their way around NASCAR then you lack serious cognitive reasoning.

I haven't known a single crossover driver who walked away from NASCAR thinking it was a waste of time and talent. In fact, the response is always either they want to go back for more or they realize they are over their head and went back to open wheel or GT. Emerson fittipaldi was impressed by NASCAR from just watching.

2. Exactly, not much emphasis on drivers.... Oooohhh such a good indicator.

3. Don't kid yourself. If no one wanted to go to nascar, then NASCAR would either still be filled with random no name locals or be completely defunct period. Villeneuve, after that humiliating daytona quali crash wants to do well in NASCAR. I've already states that Wincup wants to come over as well. Mika Salo, coulthard and hamilon are all interested in tests (and salo is talking to teams ATM). Important gt drivers. Lally, Pilet, Pilgrim. All wants to come over. Are you saying that GT drivers are nobodies?

Drivers also flock to 24h of Le Mans and gt racing in what you would call "retirement mode". So Le Mans, touring car and GT aren't as important by that logic as crossovers and f1 rejects tend to do well there and not one has done well in NASCAR?

Quote from tristancliffe :NASCAR drivers are dumb - just listen to their interviews to see that. Some are undoubtedly hillbillies and rednecks. But the rest are just as dumb (with maybe the odd exception). American Sportsmen are one of the reasons America has the stereotype of being filled with ignorant, fat, neanderthal, sister-screwers. Exceptions exist - see some of the wonderful USofA people on this forum that even I don't have a bad word to say about. But it's not by chance that the world hates America.

Really...and who exactly did you listen to that made you feel like they were dumb? Ryan Newman has a degree from Purdue. Brendan Gaughn graduated from Georgetown...

Hilarious statement Tristan ur really making my day keep it up LOL

Quote from tristancliffe :If you don't agree, then you can tell me so. You can post your own opinion too. But I'm as likely to agree with yours as you are with mine. So if you want to start crying about other people's opinions after a couple of posts then perhaps taking part in Internet Discussions isn't a good vocation for you.

Hey your the one who baited (in a thread unrelated to ovals at that....low even for u tristan). Don't start crying and pointing fingers if you end up in a messy argument. It's fun seeing u justify urself. Keep it up Tristan, ur definitely making the Internet a better place.
Quote from tristancliffe :You know my opinion. You don't need to agree. It's not being forced down your neck, I'm just explaining mine to you. If you don't like it, or don't think it matters, then let it be. Just ignore me. Stop coming back for more, with silly replies. Are you foolish enough to think that an opinion posted on the internet is done so to make other people agree with it?

Please...playing victim here? Really? Really Tristan? That's quite some depths you sank to. You want to express you horribly ignorant and biased opinions about ovals? Fine go do it in a thread about ovals. Better yet, go do it in a thread that specfically addresses that.

But baiting with oval bashing in a thread that's remotely connected ovals...gee and ur not forcing ur opinions on other people. :rolleyes:

Hilarious keep it up this just keep getting better. You make great entertainment.
Quote from lizardfolk :1. I can name two right now. Marcos Ambrose and Jamie Wincup. Ambrose absolutely dominated in V8 Supercar and came over basically right after that. Wincup is dominating now and wanted to come over. What about Scott Pruet who dominated US GT racing? Max Papis who also was a Rolex Champ as well as 12h of Sebring champ. Retirement? Pffft. What are u smoking? Christian fittipaldi was quite serious about coming over as well. He even commited by moving to the US back when he had a go. If you think the frustration depicted by crossovers, especially those of Al Unser Jr, villeneuve, AJ Allmendinger, Andrew Ranger, Scott Speed, Hideo Fukuyama, Patrick Carpentier, and MANY others as a sign that they are just lollying their way around NASCAR then you lack serious cognitive reasoning.

Most of those drivers are relative unknowns. How many NASCAR drivers have done well in European races? But don't make it just about NASCAR - I'm speaking of pretty much all US racing.
Quote from lizardfolk : I haven't known a single crossover driver who walked away from NASCAR thinking it was a waste of time and talent. In fact, the response is always either they want to go back for more or they realize they are over their head and went back to open wheel or GT. Emerson fittipaldi was impressed by NASCAR from just watching.

Doesn't mean the drivers are especially talented though...
Quote from lizardfolk : 2. Exactly, not much emphasis on drivers.... Oooohhh such a good indicator.

That's not what I said. The car is king. The same applies in all forms of motorsport. But talent is still required. Unless you think Maior Jr just had a worse car than Alonso.
Quote from lizardfolk : 3. Don't kid yourself. If no one wanted to go to nascar, then NASCAR would either still be filled with random no name locals [it is] or be completely defunct period. Villeneuve, after that humiliating daytona quali crash wants to do well in NASCAR. I've already states that Wincup wants to come over as well. Mika Salo, coulthard and hamilon are all interested in tests (and salo is talking to teams ATM). Important gt drivers. Lally, Pilet, Pilgrim. All wants to come over. Are you saying that GT drivers are nobodies?

They certainly aren't coming over to further their careers though!!!!! It's a bit like wrestling - they're no doubt good atheletes (the wresters, not the racing drivers), but crap at acting or thinking or fighting. But it's about the show, and catering for the level of fanbase they attract. Same with ovals - it's meant to make Americans go 'yeeee haaaaa' every time someone a small slide.
Quote from lizardfolk : Drivers also flock to 24h of Le Mans and gt racing in what you would call "retirement mode". So Le Mans, touring car and GT aren't as important by that logic as crossovers and f1 rejects tend to do well there and not one has done well in NASCAR?

So now you're trying to tell me that a series that turns in one direction, has tiny speed variations, using antiquated cars has better drivers on the basis that F1 drivers can do well at LeMans but don't do NASCAR? Right...
Quote from lizardfolk : Really...and who exactly did you listen to that made you feel like they were dumb? Ryan Newman has a degree from Purdue. Brendan Gaughn graduated from Georgetown...

Wow. A US Degree? They must be clever then... Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Quote from lizardfolk :Hilarious statement Tristan ur really making my day keep it up LOL

Aha, the typing is becoming rushed and text-like. I deduce from this that you are getting a bit annoyed. This amuses me.
Quote from lizardfolk :Hey your the one who baited (in a thread unrelated to ovals at that....low even for u tristan). Don't start crying and pointing fingers if you end up in a messy argument. It's fun seeing u justify urself. Keep it up Tristan, ur definitely making the Internet a better place.

Erm, read the thread. It is related to ovals. You might also notice that the thread, being about a completely pointless 'achievement' a small child wouldn't boast about, had gone rather off topic, and was all the better for it. Until you came along convinced that NASCAR is the best thing since bread was chopped up. I'm not crying And I'm not pointing fingers. You think it was bait because you're so defensive about oval racing. But it was just my opinion. If you agree that my opinion is worthless then why bother coming back here and replying?
Quote from lizardfolk :Please...playing victim here? Really? Really Tristan? That's quite some depths you sank to. You want to express you horribly ignorant and biased opinions about ovals? Fine go do it in a thread about ovals. Better yet, go do it in a thread that specfically addresses that.

Ignorant? No. Biased? Maybe. I'm certainly not playing victim - you accused me of claiming I think my opinion is the bee's (or bees'?) knees, and I simply said it's you that claimed that, not I.
Quote from lizardfolk :But baiting with oval bashing in a thread that's remotely connected ovals...gee and ur not forcing ur opinions on other people. :rolleyes:

How does writing text force my opinion on someone. I'm not some religious nut knocking on your door and forcing my way onto your sofa. Reading someones opinion is NOT having it forced upon you. And this thread IS connect with ovals. Quite strongly.
Quote from lizardfolk : Hilarious keep it up this just keep getting better. You make great entertainment.

Unlike NASCAR
Quote from lizardfolk :I haven't known a single crossover driver who walked away from NASCAR thinking it was a waste of time and talent.

My guess is there's a very good reason for that: money.
Quote from tristancliffe :Most of those drivers are relative unknowns. How many NASCAR drivers have done well in European races? But don't make it just about NASCAR - I'm speaking of pretty much all US racing.
Doesn't mean the drivers are especially talented though...
That's not what I said. The car is king. The same applies in all forms of motorsport. But talent is still required. Unless you think Maior Jr just had a worse car than Alonso.
They certainly aren't coming over to further their careers though!!!!! It's a bit like wrestling - they're no doubt good atheletes (the wresters, not the racing drivers), but crap at acting or thinking or fighting. But it's about the show, and catering for the level of fanbase they attract. Same with ovals - it's meant to make Americans go 'yeeee haaaaa' every time someone a small slide.
So now you're trying to tell me that a series that turns in one direction, has tiny speed variations, using antiquated cars has better drivers on the basis that F1 drivers can do well at LeMans but don't do NASCAR? Right...
Wow. A US Degree? They must be clever then... Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Aha, the typing is becoming rushed and text-like. I deduce from this that you are getting a bit annoyed. This amuses me.
Erm, read the thread. It is related to ovals. You might also notice that the thread, being about a completely pointless 'achievement' a small child wouldn't boast about, had gone rather off topic, and was all the better for it. Until you came along convinced that NASCAR is the best thing since bread was chopped up. I'm not crying And I'm not pointing fingers. You think it was bait because you're so defensive about oval racing. But it was just my opinion. If you agree that my opinion is worthless then why bother coming back here and replying?
Ignorant? No. Biased? Maybe. I'm certainly not playing victim - you accused me of claiming I think my opinion is the bee's (or bees'?) knees, and I simply said it's you that claimed that, not I.
How does writing text force my opinion on someone. I'm not some religious nut knocking on your door and forcing my way onto your sofa. Reading someones opinion is NOT having it forced upon you. And this thread IS connect with ovals. Quite strongly.
Unlike NASCAR

Tristan grow up...
Dont give me the meh im race driver so i know better shit becaus that wil surely prove your level of idiocy.
Have your ver raced a real nascar oh wait you dindt so shut up you dont know a thing al of us dont.

You just seem to think you know better than everyone in the entire world i hate this kind of arrogant ways of thinkin and i hate the persons who act with such arrogance.
Suruly i know your a fine single seater driver but hey comon that doenst mean your the king of the world.
Like you act right now and have done on multiple ocations by this i dont realy want to agree with anything you say you have some valid points but most of it is based on prely your oonpion wich you seem to think we should al agree with.

Just ad eithother on msn or something and have a fight there and dont make life so hard on the fourum mods
So now we can't look at the facts because none of us have raced a NASCAR? What about the team owners? They've probably never driven a NASCAR either, so they probably don't know anything either.

What's that noise? Oh, it's your argument falling apart.

P.S. The fact that I race an old race car in an amateur series has no bearing on my opinion of oval racers. I've held that opinion for many years, and have yet to see a single reason to change it.
Quote from tristancliffe :So now we can't look at the facts because none of us have raced a NASCAR? What about the team owners? They've probably never driven a NASCAR either, so they probably don't know anything either.

What's that noise? Oh, it's your argument falling apart.

P.S. The fact that I race an old race car in an amateur series has no bearing on my opinion of oval racers. I've held that opinion for many years, and have yet to see a single reason to change it.

I cannot give you one i geus the only way you would understand is driving a nascar.
IWhch you wil never do becaus your just to stupid to admit that anything you say is wrong.
Again what makes your thoughts the right ones to think?

I dont realy feel like continuing this becaus there is no way in actauly tring to tell you to show some respect.
I'm not telling you what to think, I'm telling you what I think. If you can't see that difference, then we'll just go around in circles. Why does seeing someone express their opinion someone convert to them trying to force it on you?

How competitive were you when you drove a NASCAR? If you haven't, then surely you don't understand either? Or can you understand without driving any race car ever, but I can't???

Who is there to respect? NASCAR drivers? Why should I respect them? Why should I respect people that don't deserve respect? Do you respect me? No? Then why should I respect others? I refuse to tolerate people just because tolerance is fashionable.
Quote from tristancliffe :Then why should I respect others? I refuse to tolerate people just because tolerance is fashionable.

I LOVE U TRISTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111oneone
Ah I love it.

Fail did his 1.000.000 on FOX on a circiut track and now we talking about oval (no)skills.

TC has still no brain.

Nothing changed. Good that there is a place you can leave for ages and when you come back - you feel home. Great...
My mind is somewhat confused about you guys who post here,
Why is it that there are some who just cant stick to the general subect matter, But then you always try and turn it into thier own post, All this talk about measurements seem to make me wonder if you are not just talking of the measure of your own egos, Plz stick to the posting headings and make other postings of the other shit you wanna talk about elsewhere in another post.

Their you are Mr Tristan, But i am still of the opinion that your head is stuffed so far up somewhere that the sky looks Brown..
I am not into people who are egotistic dicks and who also dont have manners, maybe you should talk with your father as to how difficult oval racing can be/get, However since Oval bores you, come join the FM Fox Junkies and do some racing there??
Or is that just boring too?
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm not telling you what to think, I'm telling you what I think. If you can't see that difference, then we'll just go around in circles. Why does seeing someone express their opinion someone convert to them trying to force it on you?

How competitive were you when you drove a NASCAR? If you haven't, then surely you don't understand either? Or can you understand without driving any race car ever, but I can't???

Who is there to respect? NASCAR drivers? Why should I respect them? Why should I respect people that don't deserve respect? Do you respect me? No? Then why should I respect others? I refuse to tolerate people just because tolerance is fashionable.

WHy i dont recpect you is obvious if you were a lil nicer to alot of persons here i would respect you I have recpect for your driving but that is the only thing?
Did i ssay you should respect nascar drover no i did not i dont cre if u do or not al i try to say is you can make your point without acting as an arsehead.

Thats al i actualy wanted to tell u but u wil just ignore it and learn nothing about actualy beigh at least a bit nice.
maybe i could have said it nicer myself but with the way you laugh rudly at al of us it makes not want to be nice at all.
LOL, you lack the basic understanding and ability to differentiate between "like" and "respect". From what you're saying you don't LIKE tristan because he is not "nice", but that has nothing to do with not "respecting" him. I didn't like the first croatian president, but I respected him and what he did i.e. got our country independence. Learn the difference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG