The online racing simulator
Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
Certainly a better "feel" than Dirt1, might wait for it to become discounted before purchase.
Quote from danowat :Certainly a better "feel" than Dirt1, might wait for it to become discounted before purchase.

I always do that
Quote from Velociround :How come they didn't release the demo for PC, too? :mad:
I really hope it comes to the PC, I can't wait to play it, but I'm not getting a console just because of it either!

Damnit, FFFFFUUUUUU!!!
Console version can GTFO, PC is more important, release it damnit. :mad:
Quote from Bose321 :Damnit, FFFFFUUUUUU!!!
Console version can GTFO, PC is more important, release it damnit. :mad:

it isnt more important the consoles is where the money is
PC version doesnt come out till late next year because they're waiting for DX11 so no demo until 2010 for pc.
Quote from brt900 :it isnt more important the consoles is where the money is

Yep

Most people just torrent PC games
Bleh, look on torrent sites. All sort of games for all consoles there, or didn't the microsoft and sony realise that yet? They all think only people download for PC?
Quote from Bose321 :Bleh, look on torrent sites. All sort of games for all consoles there, or didn't the microsoft and sony realise that yet? They all think only people download for PC?

you can't play downloaded games on xbox 360 or ps3 unless you mod it(which will get you banned from xboxlive/psn)
EDIT: i tried it, it was alright, the trophy truck racing was fun
Quote from mutt107 :you can't play downloaded games on xbox 360 or ps3 unless you mod it(which will get you banned from xboxlive/psn)
EDIT: i tried it, it was alright, the trophy truck racing was fun

You can't play pirates AT ALL on PS3..
Then why are they downloadable if you can not play them?
I don't know, there are probably images of games (ISO's) for download, but you can't play them on the PS3.
Sold so far, the menu is awesome. It takes some getting used to but the moment the music in the background switch to The Prodigy - Warrior's Dance, I loved it. Turns out there are harder settings than we saw in previous footage too, you can crank it all the way up and not have any flashbacks.

EDIT: Done my first event now, with the difficulty on full. It's not exactly hard, but the grip level seems a bit better this time, it actually seems like you're driving on a loose surface. The cockpit view is just stunning, water splashes are a hoot because you're totally blind for a second while your windscreen clears. The graphics are massively improved, no more over the top bloom to cover it up, infact I barely saw any bloom at all the lighting in very impressive. Even the driver animations look good. The best part is the staggered starts, I was doing too badly to actually pass anyone but then an AI driver wrecked his car, and I drove past it on the stage (he put it straight into the side of a house). I'm definately buying this game, can't wait now.
Sounds great Quicksilver. If it has your approval then it must be atleast half decent! I shall try the demo on my PS3. Ideally I was hoping to try it on the PC with a wheel, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use the gamepad on the PS3 just to see what it's all about.
Well I have been playing DIRT recently, and even on gravel stages it's like driving on tarmac. This one is much better, you actually have to slide to go fast on the gravel, and it loves the old scandinavian flick. The cockpit view is something else, it's just like being in the real thing, and the field of view is very good unlike most cockpit views in racing games. Another neat thing I found out by accident, when you write off your car it gives your statistics about the crash. I got a bit too sideways over a crest and hit a slope knocking my wheel off, the crash was apparently 49g and did 84% damage to the car. On the whole it seems to be more realistic on the highest difficulty setting.
It sounds like we were playing different games there ATC My opinion is totally oposite. There's certainly a lot of noticable bloom, physics are like CMR3 (the worst in the series, i think majority would agree). I mean, just a slight move on the thumbstick results in very jerky and rough move, and cockpit view was horible, he's jerking the wheel like when you play LFS on a keyboard. I barely found the will to finish the lap if i'm beeing honest. It is enjoyable and fun like those flash games you play at work because you have no better things to do. And what is Mitsubish Eclipse doing on a gravel rally, seriously?

Ok, i'll give it a go on higher difficulties, but isn't that only the speed of the oponnents?
Quote from Boris Lozac :It sounds like we were playing different games there ATC My opinion is totally oposite. There's certainly a lot of noticable bloom,
what did you expect after watching just one of the vids (and i loove bloom:shy
physics are like CMR3 (the worst in the series, i think majority would agree).

dunno never played that

I mean, just a slight move on the thumbstick results in very jerky and rough move, and cockpit view was horible, he's jerking the wheel like when you play LFS on a keyboard.

that simply because you are driving witha a 20°(?) joystick so and it would be the same in lfs

I barely found the will to finish the lap if i'm beeing honest. It is enjoyable and fun like those flash games you play at work because you have no better things to do.
thats what arcade games are for
And what is Mitsubish Eclipse doing on a gravel rally, seriously?
why not
Ok, i'll give it a go on higher difficulties, but isn't that only the speed of the oponnents?

i think so

you knew its a arcade game so what did you expect and if you would plug in a wheel i bet you would be a lot more positive
Quote from Boris Lozac :

No, the lower difficulties are terrible, the driving is twitchy and there is far too much grip. Turn up the difficulty to the two highest settings and it's like playing a different game. I found another cool little feature too, when an object hits a camera it damages it and it switches to a different one. Oh and people will use any car for rallying if it works well, I've seen a few of the old shape Eclipses used as rally cars. There is still bloom yes, but compared to the first game it's like there is none at all.
Man, you're kidding me right Pass some of that stuff you're smoking, it's completely the same on the hardcore difficulty It's again very twitchy and very grippy. Who's crazy here, you or me We need a third opinion, but it's totally the same to me
Quote from Boris Lozac :Man, you're kidding me right Pass some of that stuff you're smoking, it's completely the same on the hardcore difficulty It's again very twitchy and very grippy. Who's crazy here, you or me We need a third opinion, but it's totally the same to me

I have been playing DIRT a lot recently, trust me when I say this is a huge improvement. It's certainly not very grippy when you're flat out, a slight mistake and you're in an uncontrollable slide. It's certainly no RBR, but it's a lot of fun to drive and quite challenging if you're not in easy mode taking the turns at 30mph.

I am nearly running sub 3 minute times on the Trailblazer event, and I've had some rather large accidents on my way to those times. I even managed to flip my car in the water splash just before the finish, I got out of shape going into it and you can't exactly steer or see very well while going through there, so I clipped the bank and rolled the car about 3 times.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I have been playing DIRT a lot recently, trust me when I say this is a huge improvement. It's certainly not very grippy when you're flat out, a slight mistake and you're in an uncontrollable slide. It's certainly no RBR, but it's a lot of fun to drive and quite challenging if you're not in easy mode taking the turns at 30mph.

I am nearly running sub 3 minute times on the Trailblazer event, and I've had some rather large accidents on my way to those times. I even managed to flip my car in the water splash just before the finish, I got out of shape going into it and you can't exactly steer or see very well while going through there, so I clipped the bank and rolled the car about 3 times.

But you said it's totally different game physics wise when you change the settings to the last two, i put it on hardcore. It's completely the same man CMR2 and even 4 seem like RBR compared to this game
Well I play LFS using a gamepad, so I am used to the twitchiness, perhaps if the only game you play with a gamepad is Halo 3 then it might seem a bit uncontrollable. I made a direct comparison between Easy and Extreme modes and easy mode has much more grip and stability. In Extreme there is a sweet spot you need to hit, otherwise you lose lots of time, in Easy it just seems like you can take almost any line at any speed and still not lose much momentum.

But I guess we need to wait for more people to try it, it's certainly a lot better than the earlier CMR games though, which didn't event cater to the hardcore rally fans, just the mainstream, they were unrealistic and easy. At least DIRT is challenging on the harder settings.
To the PS3 pirating as well...

> > You can't mod a PS3 due to the 7th core processor doing checks on the PS3 system at all stages as it turns on. =/

thats why developers can't use the 7th core processor, as it's too busy making sure the PS3 is working properly apparently.....

> > Seems they learned their lesson from the PSP...
I didn't notice any difference from easy to hardcore.
Sorry for my lazyness, anyone have a link to the demo?

Thanks for the quick reveiw there, makes me want to try this game a lot. I don't care if it's super realistic, just as long it's fun and somewhat "good" feeling over it.
Quote from The Very End :Sorry for my lazyness, anyone have a link to the demo?

Thanks for the quick reveiw there, makes me want to try this game a lot. I don't care if it's super realistic, just as long it's fun and somewhat "good" feeling over it.

No links, console only atm.

It feels really good, at least with the crappy Xbox wheel. You really feel the suspension and the tires and the weight.

Also, you can add little toys and things to the dash. I love the awesome fuzzy blue dice. And they're physics activated!!!

Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG