The online racing simulator
Meteor shower!! Omg!!
(42 posts, started )
Meteor shower!! Omg!!
at 12:00 AM CDT there will be a meteor shower in the central USA! OMG!!! any other people who live here should set their alarms!!
i live in jackson , Tennessee so i hope i see them.
Meteors/Shooting Stars
There's supposed to be some kind of meteor/shooting star activity tonight and as I was outside having a smoke I've seen 4 within 8minutes.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen any, and what the story is on them. Someone told me that theres supposed to be like 1 every 20minutes, but on the scale I've seen them, it's WAY more than that. Keep your heads up guys, it's worth it just to see, I mean, sometimes your eyes can play tricks, but when it happens more than twice you know you're not seeing things!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t ... cience/article6794170.ece

Clouds haven't been a problem for me here.
I went out last night, at around 1:30 am and only saw one star before the clouds covered the sky, didn't know you could still watch it tonight... Might set the alarm for later because it's raining right now.
I saw some in finland last night.. An Estonian friend told me about it and also told that some meteor lighted up the whole country like a day light.
Quote from Blas89 :I went out last night, at around 1:30 am and only saw one star before the clouds covered the sky, didn't know you could still watch it tonight... Might set the alarm for later because it's raining right now.

I just saw one, then another, then another, and they were in the space of about one minute each. Perseid Meteor shower happens every so years I think, but around this date.
Yes it lasts for weeks but last night and the night before are the busy peak. My housemate had my telescope out last night, but with cloud cover and living in a city, I doubt he caught much.
I saw one, and that was by complete coincidence when I took a quick glance out of the window. Looked really good, even though I only caught like 2 secs of it
Is it only in Amerika you can see this, or can you see some here in Norway too this evening you think? Want to see these things, and it's good and clear weather at the moment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids

Only saw a few before cloud cover got the best of me last night. Maybe tonight I'll have more luck. They only 'peaked' last night, but usually last for about two weeks either side of that date (roughly, and it varies on which bit of the Perseids the Earth flies through).

Edit: I think it should be visible from pretty much anywhere in the northern hemisphere.
Allright, thanks.
Will keep my eye in the sky, want to see this
The sky was fairly clear about 10pm, but by about midnight it was cloudy.
#13 - SamH
My mate and I headed up into the Yorkshire Dales for the shower's peak, night before last. It was about an hour and a half to get there but we picked a good spot, with no light pollution except the moon. Saw a bunch of meteors, a couple of which were really startlingly good. We kept watching until about 4 or 4:30am.

Perseids have been appearing since the end of July and should be visible for another week and a half or so, but the frequency is dropping. The peak was actually the night of 11th/12th Aug.
What time should I stand outside staring at the sky tonight then? I remember seeing an eclipse kinda with a welding mask on
Although I was up late finishing a skin so I had a little peek because I was up anyway.. But it was way too cloudy last night here.. didn't see a thing
Quote from pacesetter :What time should I stand outside staring at the sky tonight then? I remember seeing an eclipse kinda with a welding mask on

3 am , naked with sausage rolls attached to you , dogs delight
Quote from jwardy :3 am , naked with sausage rolls attached to you , dogs delight

Yeah sounds good, will I stand in my neighbours with a rotweiller's garden? And salami covering my bits?
Quote from pacesetter :Yeah sounds good, will I stand in my neighbours with a rotweiller's garden? And salami covering my bits?

dont forget to film it
Wow the first time I decide to sleep early this summer and something interesting happens. I fail... -_- I'll try to keep a lookout for them tonight
Was too cloudy to see them here aswell last night, shame because i quite enjoy seeing things like that.
Epic bumpage!

Perseid Meteor shower tonight! Saw only 1 though.

Off to sight more.
#22 - 5haz
Meh London's wonderful orange glow putting a dampener on proceedings here.

You can listen to the radar signatures of meteorites on this site, they make quite eerie noises.

http://topaz.streamguys.tv/~spaceweather/index.html
saw lots a minute ago. stayed out for half an hour and saw probably about 1 every 30 seconds. Some lighting up the field I was in <3.

Clouds are coming in now though
Well this sucks...

Only saw 1, and even it was for like a second...

Clouds came in now, cant even see the stars.

Meh, I guess I should of actually went outside instead of peeking out of my windows...

Meteor shower!! Omg!!
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG