The online racing simulator
what parts are the most important?
the title says it all, what parts are the most important to update in pc? this pc probaply needs all new things but what are the main things that games need to so they can run? my comp is a big pile oh shite these days(it is ~7 yrs old) or should i just get a new computer instead of upgrading?
#2 - dadge
CPU or GPU would be the first. upgrading the CPU might require a motherboard upgrade at the same time.
GPU would be the best me finx. at least you can use it until you get more parts.
ram would give you a performance increase but nothing to write home about. so, yeah. upgrading your GPU first would give you more noticable results.
Since your current pc is that old it won´t be possible to upgrade it in single parts.

If you want a new CPU or a new graphics card you will need a new motherboard (different socket and PCI-Express connector). Therefore you will need new RAM and probably a new PSU as well.

So you are left with the drives and the case from the old PC. But you should also change the hard disks because otherwise they´ll be a big bottleneck in the new computer.

Basically that means that you need a complete new PC, if you want to do any upgrade.

For a gaming PC the most important part is the graphics card. But if you decide to build one try to match the components so you don´t have bottlenecks.
i see, i think id rather just buy a new computer then
it's either a socket A or a socket 478.
either way it has an agp slot

if you really don't want to get a new pc
you can get something like an ati 4650

for cpu, there are options. you can buy used.
for socket A your best bet would be one of the mobile barton variety, clocked to hell.
for socket 478... i dunno, i'm a DAAMiT guy :P
my P4-3.0E is s478.
best cpu for 478 would be a PRESCOTT (not cedar mill. those are 775 :schwitz.

not bad.

not bad at all.

maybe the EE would be faster but those are NOT CHEAP (you might as well get a new pc)
#8 - wild
What's your current computers specifications?

Since it's 7 years old, I suggest if you can afford it just going for a new computer.
All parts are important. Id say the least important part is the optical drive. Many people mess up their setup with a cheap psu and case. I know many friends who went with a cheap psu or case, since they said 'a case or psu wont give me extra fps', and now they suck in the summer with the temps due to now enough airflow, or simply their psu give up.
So I'd say, if you make a new PC, don't save on any main parts, or otherwise you will have problems with it. If not right away, in the really near future.

As for a personal example, I bought a 460W Enermay PSU around 6 years ago, and I'm still using it in my new system. Spent my pants on it, but It was worth it.
Quote from george_tsiros :best cpu for 478 would be a PRESCOTT (not cedar mill. those are 775 :schwitz.

If he gets a prescott he's gonna need one hell of a cooler to keep it cool. most definately if he gets a faster one like my 3.2ghz with HT. 103w of heat is epic for a stock clock.

I run a scythe Mugen2 because every other cooler wasn't hardcore enough. My chipset temp is now higher than my CPU temp most times, they both sit around 35 degrees C. It's high, but I realy can't help that with my room temp.

@Batteryy

If you have a budget get a new computer, DO NOT use the old case either. It may seem like a good idea to save some cash, but it's not worth it in the end.

Also, Get a case WITHOUT a PSU. Buy a realy good PSU seperately. This sounds odd, but the best way to judge a PSU is weight, heavier is better. The reason for this is the capacitor quality, a good PSU will have larger, higher quality capacitors that will give you stable reliable power.

Also, do not get the absolute newest CPU, get something thats been out for a while but runs on a motherboard that will support the newer ones, this way you start with a brand new PC that has tried and tested parts. I don't mean get something realy old, but don't get something thats been on the market for less than a month. It's far better to let someone else's computer be a test bed than yours.

If you plan on sticking with your current rig, a better CPU, RAM, and a GPU are the important parts. If your motherboard supports UltraATA get some 80 conductor IDE cables if you dont have them already, round ones are a good idea.

Since you have an AGP slot, get something that supports AGP4x/8x. 7 years old might be running AGP4x still. A saphhire HD 3850 will run on either and is a realy nice card.

If you get lucky and have dual channel support, get a twin pack of DDR400 1gb sticks. If you are realy unlucky it'll be running PC2100 and you won't get the full speed, or dual channel in most cases. But DDR400 will run on it any way, so its the safer bet, and it's not expensive anyway.

For a CPU, faster is better with a P4, so a 3.2 will be better than lower clock speeds, but its also dependant on the core, you want to get one of the last cores made, like a prescott. You will need a wicked cooler for a prescott, or a case with alot of airflow, both would be ideal.
Quote from DragonCommando :If he gets a prescott he's gonna need one hell of a cooler to keep it cool. most definately if he gets a faster one like my 3.2ghz with HT. 103w of heat is epic for a stock clock.

i only had a problem with mine once, when i forgot to clean the fur out of the heatsink and hit bounced off the internal temperature limiter... otherwise, my prescott has been fine. stock HSF.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG