The online racing simulator
So I've upgraded now, but the last part...need advice!
Yea...I went for cheaper parts...originally was going to go for an i7 but ended up doing a 50/50 split on a laptop and upgrade pack for the main PC...(don't ask but that laptop is like an omen in this house).

Here's the exact spec as it stands...I would post pics but my cable management is embarrasing at the moment!

Case and PSU
Hiper Osiris
Zalman 6-channel fan controller
Replaced the case fans with 3 X Noctua Vortex Control fans
Corsair 750W PSU

Main Specs
MSI FX790-GD70 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition (Thermalright extreme heatsink with 2X Enermax Magma fans)
2X2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
Creative fatality pro sound card
8800GTX - yer this is the last part to be replaced

So yea...I spend a wee bit more on the cooling to overclock it which I haven't bothered as of yet...all I can say it MASSIVE jump in fps from my last computer.

Now, I'm definately looking at an ATi solution since my motherboard is Crossfire only...infact it has 4 GPU slots...why?...I dunno...

My budget would be up to £180 or there abouts but preferably not more than that. I see the 4850X2 card is better and the same price as a 4890, but surely there was some price modelling with ATI...there must be a comprimise with more power for the same price...this is where I get confused. See I could potentially get a 4870 since they are around £110, and buy another one just after...but is it worth it...guess I need to figure that one out myself. A few options...any recommendations?

Thanks!
If i was you i would stick with the 8800GTX for the time being cause ATI's next generation gpu's are out in a couple of months (maybe October or November) if not maybe you could go with what i suggested below, also what res do you game at?

2 of these in crossfire would be very good

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... p;catid=56&subcat=938
1680x1024

Good information though! Thing is I can't really wait...I was gunna stick with the 8800GTX but already offered to my cousin for £50 with my old PSU...he has no computer atm and would rather get em both sorted asap for some TF2 fun!

Would 2 X 4850 cards be better than the single card 2x4850?
Quote from spacedskunk :1680x1024

Good information though! Thing is I can't really wait...I was gunna stick with the 8800GTX but already offered to my cousin for £50 with my old PSU...he has no computer atm and would rather get em both sorted asap for some TF2 fun!

Would 2 X 4850 cards be better than the single card 2x4850?

There would be a lower price premium as you usually pay more since the 4850x2 is one card taking up 2 slots and one pci-e.

I'd say get 2x 4870's, though. A bit more future proof and will perform better with higher AA.

OR, get one 4890 now and when your FPS starts getting below 60 fps just add a second card.
I would avoid getting two smaller cards if you're buying them both at the same time, and just get a single, big card. The 4890 would be pretty much spot-on. I'd also avoid the twin-chip cards like the 4850x2 if you can get the same performance with a single-chip card.

The only real advantage of twin graphics cards is the ability to buy one, then add another when you need to upgrade (and the advantage of even this is debatable over just selling the old card and buying a new single card) or using two top-end cards together to get more performance than a single card could ever do.
Thanks for all your help, strongly leaning towards the 4890 tbh, as said I could always add another...

I found the comprimise with the 4850x2 card vs 4890, and that is...the card is pretty loud even when just watching a film, and also uses more power than the single 4890 core.

So yea its pretty much there in front of me to do it.

I have pretty much decided on this one
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products ... pphire-HD4890-1GB-VAPOR-X

Its not the cheapest but apparently is much quieter than the other ones and I guess the pre-OC is welcome aswell.
Quote from spacedskunk :Thanks for all your help, strongly leaning towards the 4890 tbh, as said I could always add another...

I found the comprimise with the 4850x2 card vs 4890, and that is...the card is pretty loud even when just watching a film, and also uses more power than the single 4890 core.

So yea its pretty much there in front of me to do it.

I have pretty much decided on this one
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products ... pphire-HD4890-1GB-VAPOR-X

Its not the cheapest but apparently is much quieter than the other ones and I guess the pre-OC is welcome aswell.

Great choice. You'll be very happy with it
you get the accelero, stick two fans on it (the turbo module by A.C. or two fans... 8cm, 10cm, 12cm). end of problems
Quote from MijnWraak :Great choice. You'll be very happy with it

Except he wasted his money on an ATi product.

we all anticipate, with mouths agape, for dawesdust's next reality-shattering revelation.

have mercy upon our frail minds, dawesdust, for not one of us mere mortals are able to withstand the immense density of thought your superior intellect is capable of.

we quake in terror for the day you decide to not hold back anymore and, with no observable effort, nullify our existence.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except he wasted his money on an ATi product.

That's why ATI are blowing Nvidia away in the Performace Vs Price war

Show's how much you know huh
Quote from mclarenmatt :That's why ATI are blowing Nvidia away in the Performace Vs Price war

Show's how much you know huh

Yes, but if I sell a Radeon x1600 for 1$, I'm killing nVidia in the Performance Vs. Price "war". Just because you sell crap for cheaper, doesn't automatically make you good. Look at McDonalds (or any other fast food)... That beats a gourmet meal in "Food quantity Vs Price", but would you pick McDonalds over said gourmet meal?

Also, how can computer parts be considered a war... It's just simply competition [Not much of a competition with what ATi puts out] between companies.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yes, but if I sell a Radeon x1600 for 1$, I'm killing nVidia in the Performance Vs. Price "war". Just because you sell crap for cheaper, doesn't automatically make you good. Look at McDonalds (or any other fast food)... That beats a gourmet meal in "Food quantity Vs Price", but would you pick McDonalds over said gourmet meal?

Also, how can computer parts be considered a war... It's just simply competition [Not much of a competition with what ATi puts out] between companies.

Difference is the ATI product's are only just behind Nvidia's top range but cost quite a bit less.

Oh well Im off to work anyway, will let you get on with your usual trolling
Quote from mclarenmatt :Difference is the ATI product's are only just behind Nvidia's top range but cost quite a bit less.

Oh well Im off to work anyway, will let you get on with your usual trolling

Do you have any facts/proof to back this up, or are you stating your own delusional opinion?
Quote from spacedskunk :...
Main Specs
MSI FX790-GD70 Motherboard
Now, I'm definately looking at an ATi solution since my motherboard is Crossfire only...infact it has 4 GPU slots...why?...I dunno...

Because your motherboard can handle Crossfire and CrossfireX
2 Gfx cards with 16x or 4 Gfx Cards with 8x.
That's why it has 4 slots.

Quote from BBO@BSR :Because your motherboard can handle Crossfire and CrossfireX
2 Gfx cards with 16x or 4 Gfx Cards with 8x.
That's why it has 4 slots.

Or 3x 4890 with a gtx 260 for PhysX
Or 2x 4890 with a gtx 260 for PhysX and a PCI-E sound card
Or 2x 4890 with a PCI-E Sound card and a PCI-E wireless network adapter
Or ...

Also LOL @ Dawes

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Do you have any facts/proof to back this up, or are you stating your own delusional opinion?

do a google search of "4890 vs gtx 275" theres your facts/proof. Both have pros and cons, don't go spreading around that ATI sucks. You're being a complete douche.
Quote from MijnWraak :do a google search of "4890 vs gtx 275" theres your facts/proof. Both have pros and cons, don't go spreading around that ATI sucks. You're being a complete douche.

Once ATi produce something expensive (and better than nVidia) I'll believe they're good. As of now, they're bargain bin crap.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Once ATi produce something expensive (and better than nVidia) I'll believe they're good. As of now, they're bargain bin crap.

Until you realize that ATI offers competitive, good performing cards at competitive prices, noone will give a rat's ass about your opinion.
Quote from MijnWraak :
Until you realize that ATI offers competitive, good performing cards at competitive prices, noone will give a rat's ass about your opinion.

That's fine, I don't care if anyone else cares about my opinion. So long as I know that mine is right, and other peoples might be slightly correct. However so long as you prefer either an ATi card or an AMD CPU (or worse, both!), you're retarded in my books.

i think dawesdust is a plain idiot.
Quote from george_tsiros :i think dawesdust is a plain idiot.

That's fine. That's your opinion and your entitled to it. I however think your opinion is retarded and it'd be better off kept to yourself, to prevent you making an arse of yourself but that's just my opinion as well. Sadly, my opinion is the only one I really give a damn about.

your first comment in this thread was irrelevant, unproductive, unhelpful, bordering on trolling. in other words, you made the comment solely for your own pleasure without thinking what would be beneficial at that point. in one word, idiotic, from the greek word "ιδιώτης" which alludes to "considering only one's self". in more common parlance, "malakas".
Quote from george_tsiros :your first comment in this thread was irrelevant, unproductive, unhelpful, bordering on trolling. in other words, you made the comment solely for your own pleasure without thinking what would be beneficial at that point. in one word, idiotic, from the greek word "ιδιώτης" which alludes to "considering only one's self". in more common parlance, "malakas".

It's ok George. Once you get your head out of your own ass, maybe you'll see the errors in your ways.
-
(spacedskunk) DELETED by spacedskunk
I have always gone with Nvidia myself, but looking at the price VS performance ATi look easily the best choice, even considering the 275gtx.

I have to admit if my motherboard was hybrid crossfire/sli I would have probably gone with what I know and stayed with Nvidia, but I'm not 'wasting' my money on an ATi product, the card is much better than the one I have especially at my resolution with AA/AF, and its half the price of what I originally payed for my 8800GTX.

I genuinely do think the games looked crisper and better on my uncles computer (using the same monitor) then what they do on mine, and he's on a 4870.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG