The online racing simulator
Return of the legend
(208 posts, started )
lets face it. Alonso always was and is a better driver than Piquet. This was coming for a long time. I think we all expected him to be sacked.
Ironically in singapore it's piquet who crashed, brought out the safety car and made it happen.
I obviously meant the 09 car....

And the 08, well that was purely down to luck. Massa was put out in Singapore when he was most certainly going to win, and China, well Massa spun Hamilton there....

He was free to drive to victory, especially in Singapore where he got the SC out at the exact time he needed.

Also Piquet finished 4th in China starting 12th, and nearly took 3rd away from Kimi....

I am not defending Piquet, he is crap, no doubts and still does not have enough experience to race in F1.
I am just saying that Flavio is an complete ass.....
Hah, to be honest I wonder if Piquet would have got anything like near as far as he did if he didn't happen to go by the name of Piquet.
Quote from 5haz :Hah, to be honest I wonder if Piquet would have got anything like near as far as he did if he didn't happen to go by the name of Piquet.

Yes he would've. He's a good driver, but to be competitive in F1 you must be more than that. Also, it's not easy to drive with a 2x champion.

But to be honest, I understand Piquet. Was it the last race when Briatore was about to leave when Alonso wasn't in the race anymore? Excuse me mister Briatore but you've still got one driver on the track AND you are his manager!
Quote from samjh :I have some sympathy for Piquet Jnr, but he knew what he was getting into when he signed up at Renault. If he didn't, at least his dad did.

Having said that, the results speak for themselves. Flavio may have been a bit of a bastard to Piquet, but that needn't have caused Piquet to have made as many mistakes as he did.

It's true but he was almost always in an inferior car to Alonso... Which isn't fair. He has the talent to be realllllly good, I won't say great but really good. But he just isn't because Flavio kept treating him like shit.

Put him in a Redbull and I bet he'd be doing as well as Webber. (Apart from the winning part )
Quote from evilpimp :It's true but he was almost always in an inferior car to Alonso... Which isn't fair. He has the talent to be realllllly good, I won't say great but really good. But he just isn't because Flavio kept treating him like shit.

Put him in a Redbull and I bet he'd be doing as well as Webber. (Apart from the winning part )

beating Vettel?

please no.
Ok maybe not beating Vettel :P. But thats cuz Vettel's a beast (no homo).
Quote from 5haz :It would be nice to see the FIA make an attempt at being consistant.

Truly brilliant drivers can get in any car and be on the pace almost immediately, one example being Jim Clark, if Schumacher really is as brilliant as many people make him out to be then he should be fairly near the pace from the start.

Oh yeah, Jim Clark's era's cars demanded the same fitness levels as contemporary cars. Uh-huh.
Quote from spyxter :Oh yeah, Jim Clark's era's cars demanded the same fitness levels as contemporary cars. Uh-huh.

So, Usain bolt is fit enough to run 100 metres in under 10 seconds, and there are those with infinite reserves of stamina who can run well over 10 miles without pause, does that make them, leading F1 drivers? You still needs to be able to drive the car fast to be succsessful, fitness is not everything. Even in modern F1 cars you don't have to have the fitness of an olympic athlete to be fast over an entire race, yes it is a good idea to have a lot of strength and stamina but Schumacher is hardly unfit, despite minor injury earlier this year.

And in Clark's era, drivers would get out of F1 cars and be on the pace very quickly in less demanding, lower series cars.

Good drivers are able to adapt their driving to suit different and new cars quickly.
Can anyone give a good reason what makes them think that Piquet is/would be a good F1 driver?

Bourdais, I could understand. But Piquet?
Quote from 5haz :Even in modern F1 cars you don't have to have the fitness of an olympic athlete to be fast over an entire race

You do, actually
Quote from zeugnimod :Can anyone give a good reason what makes them think that Piquet is/would be a good F1 driver?

Bourdais, I could understand. But Piquet?

His previous results in the lower Formula cars?
Quote from JJ72 :You do, actually

Nah you don't. You think Kimi's lifestyle which took him to a WDC was one of an 'Olympic athlete'? Even Piquet Jnr said driving a KZ2 kart was physically more tiring than F1, as well as Schumacher who echoed his thoughts.

What you need in F1 is a very good level of fitness and an extremely strong neck. That's the only real part of a driver that needs to be of athletic levels of strength and that does requires quite intensive training. But no one can convince me an F1 driver, or any other motorsport participant, is the same level of general fitness as a boxer/UFCer or Tour De France cyclist
Quote from evilpimp :His previous results in the lower Formula cars?

Bourdais has much better results, but piquet probably wins due to hes much younger age.

BTW karting sucks really, dont get me wrong i love to drive the things but to watch even though its tight and overtakes aplenty i just find it really boring.

and F1 cars these days required much higher fitness standards then they did 20 years ago by a huge margin, the cars these days have alot more G forces which hurts the body alot more.
Quote from evilpimp :His previous results in the lower Formula cars?

But he sucked in one and a half years of F1.
Quote from Intrepid :But no one can convince me an F1 driver, or any other motorsport participant, is the same level of general fitness as a boxer/UFCer or Tour De France cyclist

I bet you think riding motocross is just "sit and turn the throttle" right?
Quote from 5haz :
And in Clark's era, drivers would get out of F1 cars and be on the pace very quickly in less demanding, lower series cars.

Good drivers are able to adapt their driving to suit different and new cars quickly.

Clark was amazing, Monza 67 was his best ever race, he was a lap down and unlapped himself to lead the race, he ran out of fuel on the last lap and crawled round to 3rd place. Awesome.

Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :I bet you think riding motocross is just "sit and turn the throttle" right?

Well Motocross is probobly one of the most physically demanding motorsports. It's ****ing intense! I think you have to be fitter to ride these than F1, but like Intrepid said, you just need a strong neck more than anything else.
Quote from zeugnimod :But he sucked in one and a half years of F1.

Stuck with Briatore giving him shit to drive with... I'm sure that if he's in F1 next year he won't be as bad as we see him now...
Quote from evilpimp :Stuck with Briatore giving him shit to drive with... I'm sure that if he's in F1 next year he won't be as bad as we see him now...

I don't think any of the teams would offer him a seat.
Maybe one of the new teams. He has big money after all...
He has a name. That's it.
Quote from Falcon140 :He has a name. That's it.

And money. His name doesn't mean much anymore, he kinda killed it.

Return of the legend
(208 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG