The online racing simulator
dirt bike please help
(19 posts, started )
dirt bike please help
hello
Looking to buy a motocross bike just to ride in the garden and around the paddock
i've been looking at some on gumtree and have seen these
I want to spend £700, and preferably want something newer than 2002.

I have currently seen these:
http://www.gumtree.com/london/55/42315255.html
http://www.gumtree.com/london/15/42268515.html

Are those bikes any good?
And also, is 1 acre big enough to drive it on because some people have said that it isn't big enough to have fun on.

Thank you,
Harjun.
that bike is for ~160cm long ppl, try finding a 125cc if u are more tall
otherwise its a good choise, but on kawas try find a -03 model or higher(they are just slightly powerful than the older ones IIRC)
Quote from batteryy :that bike is for ~160cm long ppl, try finding a 125cc if u are more tall
otherwise its a good choise, but on kawas try find a -03 model or higher(they are just slightly powerful than the older ones IIRC)

Thank you very much, i'm 175cm tall but i don't have enough money for a 125cc model right yet, maybe next year.
Are the Honda ones any good? or are KTM better or Kawasaki.

Thanks
Buy a 85 2 strokes. A CR85 or a KX85. You dont need a 125 at 175cm. I'm 178cm and find my CR125R to be very tall. My feet touch the ground and that's about it. A CR85 will be just right for your height and it's still pull enough to scare you.

But if you're not too experienced I would suggest you try a 4 strokes dirtbike first. 2 strokes are snappy and you will most likely hurt yourself if you are taken by surprised when it falls in its RPM range. The 4 strokes dirtbike will have linear power so no surprise when you're past 3/4 of the throttle.
You'll get bored at 1 acre pretty quickly. Don't you have any tracks close to you?
And yes 1 acre will get your bored quickly. A fullcross is meant to be on a track, jumping and revving like crazy. Not for cruising around the field in sandals and drinking a Pepsi.
#7 - wild
I've got a KX85 and there pretty reliable if you look after them properly. Just don't keep it flat out for long!

For the acre you're going to be playing around on, is it just flat or is there actually anything interesting on it; Jumps, hills, ponds ?
Quote from Riders Motion :And yes 1 acre will get your bored quickly. A fullcross is meant to be on a track, jumping and revving like crazy. Not for cruising around the field in sandals and drinking a Pepsi.

Sorry in my first post i was meant to say 1 acre of paddock (un used land (jumps mud etc.) and then 5 acres of normal grass/field and yes there are some ponds)

Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :You'll get bored at 1 acre pretty quickly. Don't you have any tracks close to you?

Nah closest track is in wales = 200 miles away

Quote from Riders Motion :Buy a 85 2 strokes. A CR85 or a KX85. You dont need a 125 at 175cm. I'm 178cm and find my CR125R to be very tall. My feet touch the ground and that's about it. A CR85 will be just right for your height and it's still pull enough to scare you.

But if you're not too experienced I would suggest you try a 4 strokes dirtbike first. 2 strokes are snappy and you will most likely hurt yourself if you are taken by surprised when it falls in its RPM range. The 4 strokes dirtbike will have linear power so no surprise when you're past 3/4 of the throttle.

Thank you very much for your information mate i was getting worried that a 85 would be too small (lots of people were telling me to get a 125!) Yes i do have some experience, i know...Powerband= BAAAAAAAAANG!!!!!
Quote from wild :I've got a KX85 and there pretty reliable if you look after them properly. Just don't keep it flat out for long!

For the acre you're going to be playing around on, is it just flat or is there actually anything interesting on it; Jumps, hills, ponds ?

Jumps and hills and ponds

Also guys, would the KX85 fit in the back of a range rover vogue with the seats down
here is an idea of the size: http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp ... 07/12/tdv8-rear-cargo.jpg
Thanks
i know this is a bit rude but how much do u weigh? im 187cm and 87 kg's
and i find 125's are a little small 250 is ok and the 500's are just insainly scary im never geting on one again.

dirt bikes this is :P
Quote from MAD3.0LT :i know this is a bit rude but how much do u weigh? im 187cm and 87 kg's
and i find 125's are a little small 250 is ok and the 500's are just insainly scary im never geting on one again.

dirt bikes this is :P

mate i weight 60kg, and i'm 170cm but i'm not really fat, more of an athletic (hench) build
I please you ... do NOT buy chinese bikes! everything else is a good choice.
Quote from hazaky :I please you ... do NOT buy chinese bikes! everything else is a good choice.

Ya you seem to be updated... NOT
#14 - wild
I've had a KX85 in the back of a new Renault Espace so you should be okay with that, although I'm not entirely sure.
Quote from wild :I've had a KX85 in the back of a new Renault Espace so you should be okay with that, although I'm not entirely sure.

cheers should fit nicely in the rangie then.
Looks like i'm set on the kx 85 after the advice you guys have very kindly given to me.

Thank you
Harjun
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Be careful on those 85s, they really are rapid, allot of people under estimate them. If you want something just to play around I'd suggest a pit bike. 4-stroke, cheap and more resistant to wear and tear. Have you rode bikes before? you could get two 85 small wheel's in the back of a vogue, but i dont think it would be very wise to put dirty bikes in a nice motor like that.
Quote from speedway :Kawa: 1820mm x 735mm x 1055mm

i'll leave it up to you to look for the range rover data, or simply grabbing a tape measure and daddys car keys

Thanks for the info, and is that data from highest point of the bike to the lowest? As in right to the top of the handlebars? And is it of the big wheel info, if so it should fit nicely in the boot. Thanks

Quote from Scott Mckenzie :Be careful on those 85s, they really are rapid, allot of people under estimate them. If you want something just to play around I'd suggest a pit bike. 4-stroke, cheap and more resistant to wear and tear. Have you rode bikes before? you could get two 85 small wheel's in the back of a vogue, but i dont think it would be very wise to put dirty bikes in a nice motor like that.

Hi there yes i've rode on my mates kx 125 and raptor 700 and his ktm sx 65 so i understand them a fair bit about their powerbands etc. Cheers. As for the rangie, i'll put some table towels and bedsheet covers to cover everything up
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Running flat tires will probably lower you... 2 inches. Not worth the hassle of inflating and deflating the tires everytime you wanna go for a ride imo.
Quote from Riders Motion :Running flat tires will probably lower you... 2 inches. Not worth the hassle of inflating and deflating the tires everytime you wanna go for a ride imo.

its only going in the back of the range rover when i pick it up and bring it to my house, after that i'm just going to be riding it in the garden at my house, not transporting it any further.

Quote from speedway :no sorry, those were for the small wheel modell, didnt know there was a difference

big wheel
2009 KW85II: 1910mm x 735mm x 1105mm
source: http://www.kawasaki.de/_pdf.as ... 40EBFB0CCE&Fn=KX85+II

and yes, those are absolut values

edit: just had a really stupid idea, just for my own curiosity: "would it be possible to save some room in lengths and height by decreasing the tire pressure significantly?"

Thanks for those

dirt bike please help
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG