The online racing simulator
track day help (for under 17)
(38 posts, started )
Only certain tracks do not allow slicks.

Donington is one that DOES allow them
Quote from anttt69 :nope but you could do a test day (ards licence req) if you wanted to do specifically that.

more to the point what exactly do you want to do & how much cash you got to throw at it?

its just really a hobby something to get me into cars instead of being in my room all the time on pc it also makes the car a project my dad says i can use his corsa when he gets his new car ive priced up roll cage fuel cell etc came to £1400 so i have about 2 - 3k
One of the cheapest ways to start competing in motorsport is sprinting & hillclimbing. You race against the clock on a closed course. Cars start @ one point & finish at another.

Its certainly a good way to start as you will quickly learn racing lines, precise car control & find out how brave you are!. You could also build a car to suit a certain class.

Alternatively if you are dead set on circuit racing (which is quite costly) you could look at Sax Max, Rallycross, Stock Hatch 750mc. Some series will let you race @ the age of 15. You will need an ARDS licence & ready built cars start from around £2K or you can build your own which is just as costly (if not more so) as you will need to spend qute a bit on an engine to be anywhere near competetive.

Your local track being three sisters is a good place to start. Go down there when they have an event on, check out the cars, talk to the drivers & find out whats its all about.

Sat, 8 Aug
Three Sisters

Chester MC/Lancashire AC

Sun, 9 Aug
Three Sisters

Chester MC/Lancashire AC

There is a link to the chester motor club in the above post. Also:

http://www.saxmax.co.uk/pdf/2009_Information_Sheet.pdf

If you check the Oulton Park website I think the 750mc Stock Hatch championship race there early September.
i dont really want to compete but i have to have a juniour b race licence to do track days when im under 17
Quote from Minimaxman :A lot of track day companies specify that the cars you're doing them in have to be road legal, so slicks would be a no-no if that was the case.

Most I've been on allow slicks but only on cars with a rollcage. Having said that the work track day car runs on thrown out slicks without a rollcage. Unless you happen to have a free/very cheap way of getting old slicks I see no point in running them on a track day car.

Quote from brt900 :its just really a hobby something to get me into cars instead of being in my room all the time on pc it also makes the car a project my dad says i can use his corsa when he gets his new car ive priced up roll cage fuel cell etc came to £1400 so i have about 2 - 3k

Why do you want a fuel cell?
Quote from ajp71 :Most I've been on allow slicks but only on cars with a rollcage. Having said that the work track day car runs on thrown out slicks without a rollcage. Unless you happen to have a free/very cheap way of getting old slicks I see no point in running them on a track day car.

Why do you want a fuel cell?

for safety and it looks pretty cool :d

id probably be runnig semi slicks or high performance road tires
So I presume you will be fitting a firewall between yourself and the fuel cell.
Add the cost of a fuel pump, external fuel pumps are not cheap for injected cars unless you're prepared to make an old pump fit. Braided hose is very expensive, if you're interested in safety then it's best to run with the standard tank and fuel lines unless you're prepared to spend the money to do it properly. High pressure lines on a budget through the cockpit may be acceptable but it doesn't help safety at all. If you want to run MSA events and generally be safe then you need to have a firewall, properly fitted and sealed around the rollcage, it is a good days labour to fit a firewall well.

Approximate costs for fitting a fuel system:

Fuel cell - £300-400 (guessing you're talking a proper fuel cell not some homemade steel box)
Fuel pump - £100
In line filter - £15
Hoses/piping - £50
Hose fittings/connectors - £50
Wiring/switches/fuses and holders - £10
Aluminium for firewall - £40

Labour to get the job done by a professional would probably put the cost into four figures, and all for no real advantage. The standard tank will be better for performance anyway with the weight all very well packed under the car. In our race cars (on six figure budgets) we use the standard plastic tanks in conjunction with a fuel cell (for extra capacity), there's nothing wrong with them and in an accident I'd rather not have all the fuel in the car with me, given that the best fitting firewall is useless when the car changes shape.

It would be far wiser to ensure that the standard fuel tank is well connected, make new straps if you have any doubt of their condition, the mass of the fuel creates enormous force in an accident, a full large capcity endurance tank that is well mounted will deform the car if it is stopped fast enough. Check all the lines and if you've got time and money to burn renewing hoses is sensible.
Quote from ajp71 :
Fuel cell - £300-400 (guessing you're talking a proper fuel cell not some homemade steel box)
Fuel pump - £100
In line filter - £15
Hoses/piping - £50
Hose fittings/connectors - £50
Wiring/switches/fuses and holders - £10
Aluminium for firewall - £40

lol thats a cheap quote mate :P

friend of mine just did his and the fittings ALONE were over $900 AUD and 1100 for the internal pick up pump and 2 extrnal 800$ pumps mind you this is for 700+ HP

as for racing track days at your age in australia some track days will allow you to drive if you have parent/guardians permission and they sign a insurance waver allso you must sit the extra driver safety briefing.

you could just get ur cams licence and be allowed to race underage allso a girl i know has had her cams licence since she was 13
Quote from brt900 :its just really a hobby something to get me into cars instead of being in my room all the time on pc it also makes the car a project my dad says i can use his corsa when he gets his new car ive priced up roll cage fuel cell etc came to £1400 so i have about 2 - 3k

At your age i would recommend RC car racing. It's affordable gets you off your computer & out & about. Plus you get to learn about suspension settings, gear boxes, drive trains, & various other useful bits of mechanical knowledge (depending on which form of RC racing you choose).

Also if you buy a car in kit form you will enjoy building it. It's a bit like having a miniature kit car.
Quote from anttt69 :At your age i would recommend RC car racing. It's affordable gets you off your computer & out & about. Plus you get to learn about suspension settings, gear boxes, drive trains, & various other useful bits of mechanical knowledge (depending on which form of RC racing you choose).

Also if you buy a car in kit form you will enjoy building it. It's a bit like having a miniature kit car.

i just got rid of my nitro car had nothing but problems with it and there is no where near me to have fun with a rc car
Get a 1/10 electric, much more reliable, & cleaner.
There are clubs all over the country & you can usually go up & use the track if you are a member. Personally i had more fun with my off road car but there are good one make series in 1/10 on road to.

Ask @ your local model shop, they will know all the local clubs & what type of cars they run.
http://www.brca.org/ Go to the clubs link at the top left of the page and find a club or clubs close to you, along with the odd bit of karting and our track days i've also been racing rc cars for the last 9 years, doing my first national this may (didn't go to plan at all lol) so if your interested let me know and i'll recommend you some good equipment and a good car.

track day help (for under 17)
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG