The online racing simulator
Moving to Finland next spring
(46 posts, started )
hey guys,
I 'm moving to Finland next spring to study at Helia in Helsinki. I know the Finnish community here is rather big and pretty active, so i just wanted to ask you guys some tips regarding the living over there (places to go to, everyday tips, things to take care of before coming, sport facilities, events, ...) and if some of you finnish guys actually study at Helia, well im looking forward to hearing from you.
I'll be more than happy if a LFS racer can give me a tour of the City!
C ya next spring in Helsinki, Finnish racers!
Hehe.. Welcome then Im not living in Helsinki myself (or should I say just not yet) but watch out the polarbears!
Yea, polarbears... and reindeers that walk on the streets of Helsinki!

Welcome to the land of sauna, nokia cellphones and santa-claus!

I'm neither living in Helsinki, only visited there a few times.
Oh oh, dont feed them with alcohol they get just too friendly and follow you home and you cant get rid of them (reindeers, not us)

Oh btw, are you going to study the language? If so...good luck with it. Tip of the day: people allways teach you the bad words first and evil people like tukko () wont tell the right meaning of the word, ask zeugnimod

Oh yes, hot chocolate!!

Wont write the finnish word here now, we have a finnish moderator.
thx for the tips guys !!ill be careful with those reindeers, and polarbears and santa claus! luckily ill go there in spring! not really santa claus season!
im gonna try to learn the language of course, but my courses are in english.
i have the feeling that tukko isnt quite hot chocolate zeugnimod !! or maybe a very special reciepe!!!
well at least teach me the basis : "hello" "thank you" "bye" "you're hot!"!! naaaah common now i have a g/f, who by the way isnt that delighted with the trip im planning!
c ya all in Finland!
Quote from BuddY ChRisT :thx for the tips guys !!ill be careful with those reindeers, and polarbears and santa claus! luckily ill go there in spring! not really santa claus season!
im gonna try to learn the language of course, but my courses are in english.
i have the feeling that tukko isnt quite hot chocolate zeugnimod !! or maybe a very special reciepe!!!
well at least teach me the basis : "hello" "thank you" "bye" "you're hot!"!! naaaah common now i have a g/f, who by the way isnt that delighted with the trip im planning!
c ya all in Finland!

Hello = terve/morjens/hei
Thank you = kiitos
Bye = moi
You're hot = saletisti hottis
I have a girlfiend already so back off = mulla on jo hoito, joten suksi kuuseen
Where's the toilet? = missä on vessa?
I'm hungry = nyt kebabille
You have beautyful eyes = sulla on hyvät tissit

That'll get you through fine.
Quote from spankmeyer :You have beautyful eyes = sulla on hyvät tissit

that doesnt really sound like youre talking about her eyes though
thx spankmeyer!! but i have no clue about the prononciation !!is it close to german?
i dont want to say "kiitos" and ending up saying something like "you're a moron"! lol
thx a lot, i especially appreciate the g/f back off tip!!!! hope im not gonna need it that much! (not sure i can say it right !)
BC the new Finnish
This is so hilarious, allmost fell of my chair
I warn you. Finnish spelling is far far away from English, German or French.
I don't speak Finnish, but Estonian is very similar to Finnish...
Quote from Lible :I warn you. Finnish spelling is far far away from English, German or French.
I don't speak Finnish, but Estonian is very similar to Finnish...

My girliefriend who studied Korean a bit, said it has similar structure compared to Finnish, strange. And I've heard plenty of times that Finnish is a difficult language, but at least it's easy to take care of your finances and postal services - just add the letter 'i'...

Bank = pankki
Post = posti

EDIT: If you want, I'm sure we finns can record sound clips to give you clues about proper pronounciation!
#14 - Don
i cant believe you didnt teach him the magic word

PERKELE!

place this word randomly in your finnish sentences and you will look like true fin
Quote from spankmeyer :I have a girlfiend already so back off = mulla on jo hoito, joten suksi kuuseen

Heh, one line I would love to say, except at the moment it would be more like "I'm single, anyone interested. I'm fun? Really?"
What is "PERKELE" ? o_O
Quote from spankmeyer :Bank = pankki
Post = posti

I think that even word "postipankki" exists.

Any clever ones here?
#1 what does word "pulm" mean in Finnish
#2 what does word "pulma" mean in Estonian

there are more, but because I'm still about the LFSWorld being down for 2 days, I can't think of more, atm.
Quote from spankmeyer :

You have beautyful eyes = sulla on hyvät tissit

That'll get you through fine.

You're a very naughty boy. Take no notice of him, you'll end up with a smack in the mouth.
Quote from Doorman :You're a very naughty boy. Take no notice of him, you'll end up with a smack in the mouth.

Hey it works sometimes, but you risk personal injury when you play that card.
Quote from Renku :I think that even word "postipankki" exists.

Any clever ones here?
#1 what does word "pulm" mean in Finnish
#2 what does word "pulma" mean in Estonian

The word "pulm" doesn't exist in the Finnish language. Pulma does though, and it translates roughly to problem or brainteaser.
@Blackout
Thank You =)
Quote from spankemeyer :You have beautyful eyes = sulla on hyvät tissit

Before you say that, please check if they're big if not, *smack*!

And yes, I know what it means
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yeah, the megapussi flavor illepall
Be sure to visit Hietaniemen ranta ("hietsu", a nice beach), LOTS of temptative women there so be careful. There's the amusement park Linnanmäki a few kilometers from the centrum and definitely Suomenlinna (suokki) is the place to be on hot sunny days. The ferry to the small island travels quite frequently from the big marketplace near the president's "castle". As you go there be sure to walk through the esplanadi park, lots of happy drunken ppl and a few live performances usually involving just about anything.

Hmm, what else is there...I recall a nice bar which keeps the temperature below -20 degrees celsius so you can really chill when it's too hot. IIRC it's on yliopistonkatu (the street close to the Helsinki univeristy).

I'll post more later, now I must do the basic finnish thing, drink a lot of beer while not talking.

(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG