The online racing simulator
What race sims are there?
(14 posts, started )
hey,
I was just wandering what other Race Sims there are out there?
I've just purchased my S2 licence for this and from testing out a few of the other sims I can say that this is the best so far.

The others I've tried are...

GTR:Evo
Rfactor
Grid (not a sim i know)
Dirt (as above )

so what are the others?

I've heard of NetKar Pro, but it seems to be pretty much dead.. is it?

also I've seen Iracing... but is it worth the subscription price?

and then there is Richard Burns Rally.. is there a multiplayer on this where you actually race on the same track as other people at the same time?

so am I missing any?
I'm really getting into my racing at the minute and I just want to try al lpossible alternatives.

and any info on the games I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
#2 - ajp71
RBR is a rally sim, there is no wheel to wheel racing.

iRacing is probably the best experience you'll get, if you're prepared to pay the huge price tag (remember you'll need to buy countless extra content on top of the subscription in order to get to qualify to drive the interesting cars). iRacing also has no real sense of community whatsoever it's all very regimented and you have to put up with the voice chat which is almost entirely populated by whining 12 year old Americans.

nK Pro is also very good but has poor netcode and seems to be dead.

rFactor can be good but only good with a few accurate mods racing in an organised league, the pick up racing in rF is full of mismatches and appalling driving.
Well, there is of course also:
GTR1
GTR2
GT Legends
netKar Pro as you mentioned (I wouldn't yet call it dead, just not much used yet, a very good sim though)
Nascar Racing 2003
the good and old Grand Prix Legends
Not sure if you can call the Grand Prix Series by Geoff Crammond Sims, but they exist.
Richard Burns Rallye is a very good Rally Sim, but I believe there is no Multiplayer, since in Rallye you race against the clock anyways.

On IRacing the opinions differ. I don't think it is worth the monthly payment, unless you really want to get serious and want to race there all the time. I think then it provides good racing environment.

I personally only have Race07 (not GTR:Evo) but thats also a well done game. The Touring Cars are really fun to drive and provide good online battles, that is when you find a good server.
RFactor has a huge community creating hundreds of mods, some of them are really good. Finding a good one can be tricky, but a good resource is http://www.rfactorcentral.com/.

A generall good resource on that matter is:
http://www.nogripracing.com/

So much from me, I am sure some others will continue this :P
Regards
About iRacing
I thought exactly the same about the subscription not worth it but IT IS. It's a really great sim and really fair racers there because you will get punished on every error you make (bumping, crashing, spinning, cutting).

Really really good
NetKar is pretty dead, and quite flawed in some important ways. Don't spend your money on it.

iRacing being worth it is a matter of opinion. I do NOT think it's worth the money. The racing is too regimented (no joining to play with your mates when you've got half an hour free), the features are too lacking (for the money involved), and the physics are on par with LFS anyway. If the content was free and included it might be worth it, but the racing system is still so nasty that you have to be extra dedicated to get any fun out of it. Not for me. However, you might fall into the demographic that likes it and the way it's run, but it's not a cheap thing to find out!
hey,

Yeah I can see now that it's not cheap. didn't realize you had to pay for extra cars and tracks on top of the subscription. I think I might try it out for 1 month just to see what it's like. I don't think I'd be able to spend enough time with it to make it worth the monthly pay.

I've heard before that GP Legends is supposed to be really good. I think I might try that too. ( I have no idea how or why i am now typing in italics :S)

...oh... and thanks for the replies guys.
Very informative.

anyone else have anything more to add?

cheers
Interesting, Team 17 doing racing sim research?
lol...no. My racing time at work is restricted to lunch and break times only
#9 - ajp71
Rather than paying get a month for free and the Radical and Silverstone here (and if you haven't got anybody add me as your referer ajplaidlaw at hotmail dot com ).
#10 - SamH
Ossett rings a bell.. Wakefield-ish??
It's sort of between Wakefield and Dewsbury I think.
hey,
Yeah, it is directly inbetween Wakefield and Dewsbury.

Quote from ajp71 :Rather than paying get a month for free and the Radical and Silverstone here (and if you haven't got anybody add me as your referer ajplaidlaw at hotmail dot com ).

WOW... thanks for that link. Gonna try and register for that right now

thanks again
Quote from ajp71 :Rather than paying get a month for free and the Radical and Silverstone here (and if you haven't got anybody add me as your referer ajplaidlaw at hotmail dot com ).

hey,
I signed up for the free month trial and put you as my referer. not sure if you will get anything though unless I actually sign up for a 3 month subscription. Still, I might do that if it's any good

cheers

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG