The online racing simulator
Quote from Dajmin :I'll set up a website that just lists random fake crap if it'll help.

12/06/09: Tested new suspension response with physical forces <5N
26/06/09: Amended line 15037279 hex value to sort suspension response.
01/07/09: Added note on line 904667 to remind me to get a haircut.

Do you feel better now?

No. commnet! Pretty childish and old.
Playing smart here?
Quote from DEVIL 007 :No. commnet! Pretty childish and old.
Playing smart here?

It's called having a sense of humour. You must have missed that.
But it's not to be hidden under the chair that the joke was not funny at all
But then again, I don't got sence of humor
As I see it, the developers input on these forums is reactive, not proactive. That means that they only tend to provide information when there is enough whine about lack of information.

I have nowt against the devs, the game (which is the best sim by far), or anything as such, but just saying that it would be nice to see proactive responses instead of reactive.
You know? Probably the damn 0.6A version is already finished. The devs might be just waiting for me to buy S2 then they'll release it...[end sarcasm]

[ends writing to this thread and suggests YOU to do the same]
You have no relevance, demo scum. Etc.

(yes yes, it was sarcasm)
I'd rather be disapointed for a delayed annoucement, that not knowing it was coming. I prefer knowing about the Scirocco and be disapointed that it didn't come out yet, than be in the dark since a year ago.

The devs do as they wish, but i'd say most people would prefer too, to be disapointed once in a while than not knowing whats happening at all.
My point - that seems to have flown over everyone's head - was that getting those kinds of updates would be pointless. Not everything a programmer does means anything to anyone but them. Not everything they do has a noticable effect on the overall product.

Referencing a change to a line of code might fix something they've been working on for ages, but a hex address or something in a blog doesn't tell us anything more than we already know - they're working on something.
Quote from evans :I think the extreme level of moderators' presence reflects the state of this forum.

Extreme? Genuinely if you think we're extreme then I seriously need to suggest that you visit other forums on the internet. If you genuinely are refering to our moderation here then that makes me sad and I'd happily talk to you/anyone via PM who wants to point out certain things..

Don't forget that moderators don't just moderate here. We also take part in the conversation. I would be very happy if we could leave the moderator hat at the door of a thread, so to speak, and that everyone would learn that just because we're commenting doesn't mean we're doing so as a moderator

At the end of the day everything you said could be true. However, the dev team want to develop LFS in their own way, and have repeatedly stated that they want to continue in this manner. I'm not convinced that another thread is going to help. But, whilst it's civil
Yeah, I agree with you on that, and I take myself in doing the following mistake : seeing the moderators as something mighty and scary - and by GOD forbid discuss with them.
But after some discussion in a other topic it got clear that sometimes the hardest job for a moderator is to just discuss, without beeing spoken to on any other way than a normal user.
I have with numberous situations complained about the moderating myself, but in the latest time now I started to think that..well sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Sure, I am mr whine-a-lot on this forum, and sometimes I need to be directed into my line by the moderators, but overall they are o.k guys that just wants the best.

This forum is not overmoderated, if anything they are too kind. The only thing I dislikes is when topics get locked with a message, and then you are left out with 1001 things you want to say but canot since it's locked. But that's has been discussed before, and it has happend a lot less than before, guess the moderators did some evaluation of themself and did some changes, kudos for doing that

It's not to hide under the chair, everyone urges for a update, the moderators too. But their job is to keep the forum civilized and well structured from all these pure-whine threads that pops up every now and then. Sooner or later someone will disagree with their dessission in a topic, maybe that's even me since I am mr whine-a-lot, but in the latest time they have done great amount of work, and in my eyes - the right work.

Now that was as off topic as I could get, but my two cents about the moderating.
I dont understand the derogatory posts about the community here.

LFS is a matured community where many of us have known each other some years, we have regular meetings in several countries across Europe so many of us know each other in person aswell as on the forum itself.

Yes there is some melee, but compare this to other games where everybody hides behind their handle and feels free to say what they like toward (or usually 'at') other people and I think what we have here is a welcoming and friendly community.

It has at time had a few odd quirks, there's the ocassional fallout, and sometimes a group will get it in it's head to mock some 'lesser' group - but this is what happens when you have a few thousand people in one place as it's human nature to disagree and act like a cock.

On the whole though, i'd say this is the friendliest community i've ever been part of, which is why i've hung around so long and still do the odd bit for LFS even though i'm not playing at the moment.
Think of the forums as a pub.

When you go to the pub you will have good mates there, some people who are mates of mates, some who you don't know at all, and some that you know you do not get along with.

You don't stand near the ones who you don't get along with making snide remarks about their conversation, because you will get punched in the face.

You certainly don't argue with the manager or other staff, because they will just kick you out or bar you.
Quote from Bean0 :Think of the forums as a pub.

When you go to the pub you will have good mates there, some people who are mates of mates, some who you don't know at all, and some that you know you do not get along with.

You don't stand near the ones who you don't get along with making snide remarks about their conversation, because you will get punched in the face.

You certainly don't argue with the manager or other staff, because they will just kick you out or bar you.

Surely, as a plastic Maccam yourself, you would know that pubs work in exactly the opposite fashion to how you've described.

You stand near the ones you don't get along with on purpose, making snide remarks about their sister and mam, they go to punch you in the noggin, but you smack 'im first with an empty Newcy bottle, and leg it down the chippy for some nosh.

No?
Quote from Becky Rose :LFS is a matured community where many of us have known each other some years, we have regular meetings in several countries across Europe so many of us know each other in person aswell as on the forum itself.

Perhaps ther needs to be a distinction between the LFS community and the LFSForum/LFS IRC community. The oldies here are probably analogous to an old boys club in the eyes of the younger community members, and often I wonder what they think...

Other than that bit of pondering, you're generally spot on I think Becky
Well i know the way the team works and the whining of some. However i feel we are in another situation now after the promiss of a patch in december and the delay with nothing in spring, nothing yet in summer. Scawen promising a good lfs year only feeds the expectations, but halfway through the year we have nothing to show for not even a clue.
#41 - STF
I imagine the devs reading these threads, only to start grinning **haha, if they`d know what`s coming :mischievo**.

Quote from tristancliffe :It's nothing to do with budget or massive staff levels. They want to work in their little 3 man team. If they could afford another member of staff there still wouldn't be a new member of staff. Why do people find this so hard to understand?

What I find hard to understand is the negative difference between 3 men and 5 men in this case.

With 3 men you have people doing many different jobs. Whereas with 5 men:

1 mapper/asset artist

1 car builder/tester

1 coder/network guy

1 PR/tester

1 project lead/producer/creative director/little bit of everything

They're doing a really impressive job as it is, but you can always make a situation better. Tell me the benefit of having a 3 man team versus a 5 man team.
Quote from MadCat360 : Tell me the benefit of having a 3 man team versus a 5 man team.

You can list 1.4 billion benefits of having a 5 man team versus a 3 man team and it won't change anything. Get it now? They want to keep it as it is.
Forget about updates via the forum, just update the web page from time to time even if its only meaningless stuff. Let people that don't frequent this forum know there's actually something going on.

If i were new to LFS or looking at buying it you would have to think whether or not you were buying something dead in the water when the information on the official website is dated Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 17:30.

Or if you do make your way to the forum there's 15000 posts all on the same subject asking the exact same questions .

Surely three or four lines of non specific information every month isn't a lot to ask,even if its done purely for showing that LFS is still well and truly active.

I,m sure this has all been said before ..
Quote from STF :I imagine the devs reading these threads, only to start grinning **haha, if they`d know what`s coming :mischievo**.

Reason why they don't do that is two folded.

a). I, like many, know what's coming, and its anything but exciting. Hardly worth a leak from anyone. Plans for what's coming next week, are the same for three years now.
How rockin' cool is that?

b). Reading threads requires work.
Eating ham sandwich is better.

The problem with LFS is not what's coming, it's what isn't. And that is listed as to-do notes.
The problem with to-do notes, is the "do" part. That takes work. So you custom tailor a life philosophy to suit your present commitment.
Once a car is moving, the energy needed to keep it moving, is way way less. Yes it will eventually stop, but its so gradual, the lfs clients won't even notice.

This video says it all imho.
#47 - CSU1
Quote from DoctorZoom :Reason why they don't do that is two folded.

a). I, like many, know what's coming, and its anything but exciting. Hardly worth a leak from anyone. Plans for what's coming next week, are the same for three years now.
How rockin' cool is that?

b). Reading threads requires work.
Eating ham sandwich is better.

The problem with LFS is not what's coming, it's what isn't. And that is listed as to-do notes.
The problem with to-do notes, is the "do" part. That takes work. So you custom tailor a life philosophy to suit your present commitment.
Once a car is moving, the energy needed to keep it moving, is way way less. Yes it will eventually stop, but its so gradual, the lfs clients won't even notice.

This video says it all imho.

Fail.

a) you, and many others like you know Jack Shit.

b) reading threads is way cooler than eating cheap ass ham sandwiches.
Quote from richo :Forget about updates via the forum, just update the web page from time to time even if its only meaningless stuff. Let people that don't frequent this forum know there's actually something going on.

If i were new to LFS or looking at buying it you would have to think whether or not you were buying something dead in the water when the information on the official website is dated Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 17:30.

Surely three or four lines of non specific information every month isn't a lot to ask,even if its done purely for showing that LFS is still well and truly active.

I was just thinking about the same.. Comparing to what we used to have: http://www.lfs.net/?page=oldernews it really looks dead now.. I wouldn't buy it
kid is back
bring on the banhammer!
#50 - CSU1
Quote from Tukko : it really looks dead now.. I wouldn't buy it

not even with all this racing going on?

A plea to the developers of Live for Speed
(173 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG