The online racing simulator
Anyone for a US Navy Blue Angels FOX?
As an old Navy flyer (probably before you were born!), I've always been a fan of the Blue Angels.

I'm currently racing (respectably, but not exceptionally) a blue and yellow FOX that sez little more than FLY NAVY on it, a simple design stolen from a 1970's recruiting bumper sticker. IOW, it's pretty awful.

My car paint scheme has no detail at all--but if you check the Blue's link above you'll note the aircraft paint scheme doesn't actually have much in the way of details either--no pins stripes, thunder chickens, airbrushed naked women, etc. ;-) But they are shiny...and that could be the hard part.

Naturally, the aircraft have all kinds of bumps and and holes and pointy bits that make them sexy (not unlike women, you'll note, which makes them sexy) that the FOX template, of course, does not.

I anyone would like to tackle a FOX that would emulate Blue Angels decor and style with the addition of sexy details I'd be thrilled and grateful. I'm maxed-out on my Photoshop skills with the ugly one I have.

As for sponsors, well, obviously Navy would be foremost. But even they can't afford to campaign a race car solo, federal budgets watchers being what they are, so.... I've always been an avid photographer and shoot with a Nikon, so they would be a cool co-sponsor. Come to think of it, I drive a Prius and an FJ Cruiser, so I wouldn't mind touting Toyota products, and they're certainly into racing. Beyond that...Boeing, NASA, Apple? Yeah, Apple. I'm surrounded by their products and, frankly, bought an HP just so I could race (very few Apple racing sims)!

Dunno how I'll repay anyone that takes on this task, but I'll find a way. I'll find a way, mark my words. My deep and sincere thanks in advance.

Tailspin45

PS: car number has to be 17. My wife and I used to own and operate an aerial sightseeing business flying vintage 1920's and WW2 aircraft. For some bizarre reason, over the 15 years we did it, 5 airplanes came to us with #17 as the number on their nose or tail, the so-called "buzz-number.'" Go figure. Anyway, it became my lucky number and so it seems only fitting to have it on the car.
Seen the Blue Angels in all of my childhood and growing up... great stuff

A FOX skin shouldn't be too hard, pretty simple one. I'm thinking someone already made one, but I could be remembering something else.

I could give it a shot maybe. Any preference of a number?
Well I've got to do some school work, but this was a result of an hour or so.

I don't have the correct font for the number on the tail, but its close enough for what I currently have done. The yellow edge on the wing that is above "US NAVY", I don't know if I like that being there, but it's up to you. (I think it kind of represents the wing tips)

Anyways, there aren't any details of a jet's body panels, this is just the design of the yellow bits im doing first.
Attached images
blueangels_001.jpg
doh! Looks like im too late (or took too long)

Im still a newbie at this skinning stuff, so I guess I'll consider it practice.
My first FOX, so if somethings out of place, forgive me...
Attached images
Blue_Angels.jpg
Beautiful!
Man, you guys nailed it! Very, very nice. Although I specified other sponsors the clean design on the jets seems to favor skipping the Boeing, Nikon, Apple idea, eh? (I know it was a lot of work to find them and put them on RobbyMac, sorry!)

Sure appreciate your both taking on the challenege. They look great!

Now I'm feeling like I'd better improve my driving to hold up the Blue's reputation. I just can't seem to get down into the 1:00.xx at Aston Club. Did a 1:01.38 yesterday lapping alone...but that's a looooong way from 1:00.99.

Anyway, thank you both very much for your time and effort.
Quote from RobbyMac :doh! Looks like im too late (or took too long)

Im still a newbie at this skinning stuff, so I guess I'll consider it practice.
My first FOX, so if somethings out of place, forgive me...

Toyota sticker is a no-no.

American car maker sticker

everything else thumb:
Details
Quote from Tweaker :The yellow edge on the wing that is above "US NAVY", I don't know if I like that being there, but it's up to you. (I think it kind of represents the wing tips)

I like it. As you say, it looks like the wingtips/tail on the Hornets

Quote from Tweaker :Anyways, there aren't any details of a jet's body panels, this is just the design of the yellow bits im doing first.

Can't wait to see it!
Logos were no big deal, I had them already.
Heres a revision based on your comments.
The blue has a hint of metallic, and Ive added some shadows to the suspension in addition to removing all of the associate sponsors.
I was unsure about Toyota though, since you requested it.
Attached images
Blue_Angels2.jpg
Quote from Tailspin :I like it. As you say, it looks like the wingtips/tail on the Hornets

Can't wait to see it!

You could perhaps just use what Robby made... it is sufficient I think. Just has too many logos on it to resemble the actual plane, but ehh, its a different design.

I was going to keep mine pretty plain with keeping to how the plane really looks, and then put on body panel details. But honestly, you could just stick to what Robby made.
I'm Happy!
Quote from Tweaker :You could perhaps just use what Robby made... it is sufficient I think.

I'm delighted with both and can't figure out how to choose! Yours reflects the simplicity of the aircraft perfectly, but he's already added a bunch of details.

So in the end, since I'm imposing on you both, maybe the answer is go with his so neither have to put in any more effort on my behalf?
Yeah Baby!
Quote from RobbyMac :I was unsure about Toyota though, since you requested it.

Let's go with the Toyota logo...it has to have an engine, after all.

Great work, just as it is...but I don't see your 'signature' anywhere. How's about a tasteful "Body by Fisher" or 'Pinifarina' plaque somewhere, if you know what I mean, that shows you made this skin
Quote from Tailspin :I'm delighted with both and can't figure out how to choose! Yours reflects the simplicity of the aircraft perfectly, but he's already added a bunch of details.

So in the end, since I'm imposing on you both, maybe the answer is go with his so neither have to put in any more effort on my behalf?

Well yeah, mine was just a work in progress of about an hours work last night.... and if someone already has something that fulfills your request, might as well go with that one . I don't mind that I spent a little time on mine... I just wouldn't want to spend anymore time on something that is pretty much already finished by someone else

Great photos on Flickr BTW My Grandfather helped build quite a few of those planes back in the day.
Quote from Tweaker :Well yeah, mine was just a work in progress

Man, that's amazing! You really have knack for it. Good eye emulating their scheme.

Quote from Tweaker :Great photos on Flickr BTW My Grandfather helped build quite a few of those planes back in the day.

Thanks! Who'd he work for? What did he do?
Mines all vector, so its as easy as pie to remove/add/shrink logos. Im a designer by day, so Im used to doing revisions.

I like tweakers engine cover (yellow extends higher up toward roll hoop). and if you want the decals laid out like tweakers I can do that.

I'll put a sig on the actual skin image when its done, but I wont muddy up the design with some sig on it. How about you though, want a cursive 'Tailspin' up by the cockpit? or maybe inside the cockpit replacing US NAVY?
Basically, dont feel like you have to use this version because I invested time in the design. It didnt take that much time to do, and I'd rather have it 100% done to your liking rather than 'almost there'

So let me know specifically what changes you want, logos resized/removed/relocated...

Of course, you realize once it's done, your going to have to put this thing airborn once or twice just for fun!
Quote from RobbyMac :I'm a designer by day

I say do what you're good at, man! You're the guy who's so graciously investing his time for my pleasure, so i say make it you masterpiece--something you're proud of--and I'll be thrilled!
check your PM's.
Excellent!
Looks terrific! I love it!

Are you anywhere near San Diego? While the car may never fly (well, it certainly will with current LFS physics, but that's a different issue) I do still have a WW2 C-45H and would be dee-lighted to take you along sometime by way of small repayment for your efforts (actually that offer is open to both of you).

Again, thank you both, and let me know if you're around these parts so we can hook up sometime!

I'm indebted to you!
Heh, well I am in SF Bay Area, and closest airport is San Carlos (SQL) :o. A bit far.

Nice plane
Tailspin, check the links again as I updated the skins. I wasnt sure if you wanted it public or not, so Ive not posted the final skin here. But I did tweak the fox body a bit (suspension shadows/holes, added body moulding to the top of the sidepods and some minor shadowing). I also went the upper engine cover like tweaks (more yellow/less blue). But I promise it's done now (ya right lol)

Tweak, your much closer than where I am (indianapolis). Although, I was born in the Pensacola naval base back in 69 just before hurrican Camille (sp?). So I guess im a 'Navy Brat', though he finished shortly afterwards (did a small stint in Norfolk) and somehow I wound up in the midwest.
Attached images
Blue_Angels3.jpg
Quote from RobbyMac :I did tweak the fox body a bit (suspension shadows/holes, added body moulding to the top of the sidepods and some minor shadowing). I also went the upper engine cover like tweaks (more yellow/less blue).

Nice touches!

Quote from RobbyMac :Tweak, your much closer than where I am (indianapolis). Although, I was born in the Pensacola naval base back in 69 just before hurrican Camille (sp?). So I guess im a 'Navy Brat', though he finished shortly afterwards (did a small stint in Norfolk) and somehow I wound up in the midwest.

Hey, I was in pensacola in 1969 going through flight school! How 'bout that.

Will down later. My bride sez we gotta eat!
Cool small world.
Id ask if you knew my dad who was stationed there, but you probably didnt. He did something with helicopters (not flying, just maintenance like something with fire extinguishers/supression or something)
Quote from Thunderhead :Toyota sticker is a no-no.

American car maker sticker

everything else thumb:

toyotas are made in america , needless to say that fords are not
Quote from theirishnoob :toyotas are made in america , needless to say that fords are not

A few technical corrections. First, I hate calling it "american". North America consists of Canada, USA, and Mexico, thus they are all built in America. Also, they are not "made" in america, they are "built" in america, or rather the US. GM's are typically built in Canada. I don't deal much with Ford, so I'm not positive exactly where the American market of Fords are built, Mexico I'm thinking. Nissan, Toyota, Subaru.... all built in the US.

I work for an automotive manufacturing supplier. I know where all the parts are shipped for the various manufacturers for the North American market.
Quote from theirishnoob :toyotas are made in america , needless to say that fords are not

I believe there are Fords built in/for the USA (or atleast North America) but alot are built in Germany.

The European Fords and North American fords are completely different.

Also "America" refers to all of American; north and south.
Gosh, i hate doing this, after three years.. but i guess that's what happens when searching forum.

Anyhow, does this final skin ever got made? does it exist? im *very* interested, even if i wasn't born in '69 or ever was in Pensacola...

Anyone for a US Navy Blue Angels FOX?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG