The online racing simulator
Does my girl friend has the right to play my S2 ? (Myself explained in #1)
Original Post:

Quote from Keling :
Or she has to get her own no matter whether she plays much or not ?

Yes, I'm talking about the DRM (Digital Rights Managment) problem. For offical-server-based online games like LFS, we call it account sharing. (Let's put crack servers aside, I mean sharing legally brought S1/2s) If many people are sharing one S1/2, it's a type of piracy. However, is it OK (Let's imagine, in a "perfect world" it's possible.) to force every one to use his/her own account ? In other words, is excectly none-sharing the only thing acceptable ?

A LFS S1/2 licensed account, or a copy of a typical game, or a CD, or ... whatever, when we pay for a digital product, which level of rights do we have on using it ? On which level are people around us allowed to get involved ?

Please post your opinion here.

BTW:
#1. I don't have a girl friend. << >>
#2. Because of #1, I don't have a girl to share. There isn't any type of sharing on my plan, neither.

Edit:

Everybody is attacking me like I'm encouraging piracy.

Fair licencing, based on individual users, is good for both sides, and I'm not saying "NO".

But, we have to deal with the most important (and most unreasonable) things 1st. Before opening this thread, I was thinking about which causes more loss: public sharing accounts which can be found on some BBSs, or sharing among family members / friends. Ways to stop (decrease) these 2 types of sharing are different. If we manage to stop every one from trying to avoid paying, that's good. Before this come ture, which part should be dealt with first? Which is easier to deal with ?

It seems to me that this first part is much easier, therefore I'm talking about the second part. "My girl friend" is good example. In all the situations I come up with, this one is, in which the product (account, game install, music, etc) owner is most likely to start sharing. So, it's hard to prevent, and people's attitude, or morality, becomes mostly important. If you think it's a crime, that good news for the devs. If you think it's bad, but not serious, OK, I'm sure you'll give in when your girl really ask for it.

What's your opinion ? Or, what will you do ? I'm not saying this is right or that is wrong, I just want to discuss about it.

BTW, can anybody tell me why do we have 2 passwords for one account ? The webpass is protecting the gamepass, and that's why public sharing accounts exist. If there's only one pass, who will post the name and pass of his 24GBP on a BBS for public use ? (I asked about this before in another thread, but no one answered.)
Quote from Keling :
BTW:
#1. I don't have a girl friend. << >>
#2. Because of #1, I don't have a girl to share. There isn't any type of sharing on my plan, neither.

so what was the point of this thread?
I was only opening a thread to talk about DRM & account sharing, not about myself. I don't do sharing.
Read the rules @ lfs.net? I'm sure you will find it there
#5 - Migz
Quote from Keling :I was only opening a thread to talk about DRM & account sharing, not about myself. I don't do sharing.

Thread title......"Does my girl friend have the right to play my S2 ?"
Quote from Migz :Thread title......"Does my girl friend have the right to play my S2 ?"

Yeah he fails at giving the thread a good name shame on him man
Oh ~~~ :doh:

I'm just taking S1/2 license as an example to start the discussion since most people here own that. This is "Off Topic", we don't have to focus on LFS accounts.
Offline, including LAN play - as much as she wants
Online - no
Does my girlfriend have the right to play with my S2 ?

only if she lets you play with her 2
Please, don't keep telling me "Sharing not allowed", I didn't say I share. There isn't a girl beside me who wants to share mine.

The title doesn't explain myself very well, but what title will work ?
#11 - SamH
Quote from Keling :Oh ~~~ :doh:

I'm just taking S1/2 license as an example to start the discussion since most people here own that. This is "Off Topic", we don't have to focus on LFS accounts.

Specific to LFS, the licence is very generous because it allows you to install LFS on two computers on the same local area network. Your girlfriend CAN use your licence on the 2nd computer, in your house. The licence does not provide for your girlfriend using your LFS licence at HER house.

Other software almost never makes allowances for more than one user at any time. You buy a licence to use the software, and only you are licenced to do so. It's fair.. software companies are not in the business of giving away free software, they're in the business of licencing their software usually on a one unit : one user basis.
Myself explained in #1.
#13 - 5haz
There are a lot more fun things you can do with your girlfriend than play S2.

Sorry, just had to.

But yeah, it's a pretty grey area, like if you let a mate listen to a music CD you bought, is that considered illegal? Don't think so.
Quote from SamH :Other software almost never makes allowances for more than one user at any time. You buy a licence to use the software, and only you are licenced to do so. It's fair.. software companies are not in the business of giving away free software, they're in the business of licencing their software usually on a one unit : one user basis.

That is where licensing is all wrong, IMO. If I buy a hammer, it is my hammer. If I hand that hammer to George to pound in a nail, no one can say anything about George using my hammer, it is mine. It's not like we both can be using that hammer at the same time (well, it would be difficult and make slow work of hammering in that nail....)

Similarly, if I buy a software license, sure it can be installed only on my computer, but anyone using that computer should be allowed to use that software. If I purchase a license for LFS and install it on my computer, George should be able to play LFS any time. We both can not be using it at the same time, thus it's not like he is getting a copy of his own. He is just using mine, same as if he was using my hammer.

My friend needs to write a resume. He calls me and asks if he could use my computer as he doesn't have one of his own. Sure, he can use my computer, but he has to purchase his own copy of Microsoft Word?

Actually, I am the one who purchased my computer including the copy of Windows. So, that means that my neither my wife nor my kids can use the computer because they would have to purchase their own license to be able to use Windows....

I know this isn't exactly how it is, but I am just using the software names as examples of how screwed up it is.
When my schoolmates think about starting playing WOW, I see none of them sharing a level-70 account for "preview experience". The pay for their own, even they are not sure whether the game is exactly what they want.
But for LFS, in which playing is free (You have to pay for your LFS license, but not the time you play.) and everything is avaiable at the start (You don't have to reach a laptime limit or get enough "experience points" with STD to start driving TBO.), sharing leads to the same game experience and no cost. Therefore, many would think about sharing.
#16 - Byku
Hey it's not the only problem . Sharing accaunts is simply dangerous . Yeah, i let my friends play LFS at my house, but i would never tell them my password. They cannot be trusted . Your/Mine friend might simply earn some bans on Your own accout or ruin Your reputation, and two passwords policy is very good. The most important password to Your account is rather rarely used, so it is less dangerous that someone might keylog it or whatever . So if someone would somehow discover Your game password, You still would be able to change it and get Your license back. Oh... and account sharing... sure it is illegal ... but nobody will discover that You or someone else is sharing it with a girlfriend/boyfriend if You don't start shouting that all over the forum .
Quote from mrodgers :That is where licensing is all wrong, IMO. If I buy a hammer, it is my hammer. If I hand that hammer to George to pound in a nail, no one can say anything about George using my hammer, it is mine. It's not like we both can be using that hammer at the same time (well, it would be difficult and make slow work of hammering in that nail....)

Similarly, if I buy a software license, sure it can be installed only on my computer, but anyone using that computer should be allowed to use that software. If I purchase a license for LFS and install it on my computer, George should be able to play LFS any time. We both can not be using it at the same time, thus it's not like he is getting a copy of his own. He is just using mine, same as if he was using my hammer.

My friend needs to write a resume. He calls me and asks if he could use my computer as he doesn't have one of his own. Sure, he can use my computer, but he has to purchase his own copy of Microsoft Word?

Actually, I am the one who purchased my computer including the copy of Windows. So, that means that my neither my wife nor my kids can use the computer because they would have to purchase their own license to be able to use Windows....

I know this isn't exactly how it is, but I am just using the software names as examples of how screwed up it is.

Every time you think too much, God kills a kitten
Quote from tristancliffe :Every time you think too much, God kills a kitten

oh c'mon, there aint enough kittens in the world for that
Quote from batteryy :oh c'mon, there aint enough kittens in the world for that

there is 7 at my house.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :If I were you, I would start a head count.

Lol

Anyway, on topic.. tbh if you want to share your licence with your GF, who would know? Just don't tell anyone.. I mean let's all stop being politically correct, don't ever tell me you've never lent a DVD or a CD, or a game, to a friend? :doh:
I kinda think that's part of the problem. Everyone is so worried about being politically correct because of up tight laws and increased enforcement.

In my opinion, why the hell not let her? It's kinda like me telling my girlfriend that she can't play any of my games since I bought them all before we moved in, and her telling me I can't sleep in the bed because it was hers.

What about the music I purchased before we moved in? I practically shouldn't let her touch my computer, PS2, or even my TV!

Couldn't there be something along the lines of being able to share within reason, (such as family members in the same house hold, spouse) making all liability fall on the license holder? Obviously my name is put in as license holder of this LFSWorld account and my game account as well. My girlfriend cheats in a race and gets busted, punish me. I did let her use MY account after all...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG