The online racing simulator
MotoGP
(298 posts, started )
MotoGP is boring it'as just that Valentino Rossi isn't!! He makes MotoGP the spectacle it is. Without him it would be as dull as dish water. I honestly can't remember the last great MotoGP race that didn't involve Vale. I recall some close fights between Àlex Crivillé and Mick Doohan. Other than that I draw a blank.

Lets not get carried away people. That was the first MotoGP race since 2006 that has been decided by a last lap overtake. Also taking Rossi out of the equation can anybody remember the last time there was an AWESOME MotoGP race without Rossi being the protagonist?

I have my fingers crossed Bautista/Simonchelli can produce the goods when they move up and Rossi leaves. Otherwise MotoGP is gonna be pish!
Quote from sinbad :That was something, but it can't have been planned so I wouldn't call it a move. Jorge slipstreamed past and then simply braked earlier than Rossi, so Rossi had no choice once that happened but to go back past him on the outside and try to make the corner. Amazing riding nonetheless.

The last corner move was preconceived though, he knew he had that one last chance, got a run through the corner before and pulled it off perfectly. Nobody expected it though, which just made it all the more incredible.

No Valentino outbraked him pure and simple. Jorge braked at the normal braking point for that corner and Valentino left it a fraction of a second longer, way past the point where a rider would normally be able to still make the corner, but somehow he managed it. You have to see it from the aerial view to realy appreciate it. Even the commentators were amazed he made the corner.

Valentino is a phenomenom of the modern era, he hasn't "just done" something on a track since way before his 125 days. Everything he does on a track is either precalculated or the result of a split second decision based on years of experience and understanding of his own ability. He's as far from a "devil may care" or "crazy" rider as it's possible to get. He is just incredibly gifted.
Quote from gezmoor :No Valentino outbraked him pure and simple. Jorge braked at the normal braking point for that corner and Valentino left it a fraction of a second longer, way past the point where a rider would normally be able to still make the corner, but somehow he managed it. You have to see it from the aerial view to realy appreciate it. Even the commentators were amazed he made the corner.

Of course he outbraked him, but we'll agree to differ, riders don't generally attempt planned outbraking moves round the outside when there is hardly a bike's width of room, nor indeed is it even possible to brake later than the point where a rider would be able to make the corner. Rossi is The Doctor, not The Magician.

He braked late, yes, but it only looked insanely late because Jorge braked (a lot) earlier, an act which forced Rossi to do what he did. You always get that illusion, and you only realise that in fact the rider did not brake "too late" or "impossibly late" when they don't even run more than a metre or so wide.

When Rossi has his second attempt on the final lap and Jorge goes back underneath him, that's Rossi braking later than it's possible to brake without running wide.
#80 - 5haz
Quote from Intrepid :MotoGP is boring it'as just that Valentino Rossi isn't!! He makes MotoGP the spectacle it is.

Motogp is boring but it's also a spectacle?

Its a matter of opinion, I enjoy watching Motogp, I don't care if anyone else dosen't.
Quote from Intrepid :MotoGP is boring it'as just that Valentino Rossi isn't!! He makes MotoGP the spectacle it is. Without him it would be as dull as dish water. I honestly can't remember the last great MotoGP race that didn't involve Vale. I recall some close fights between Àlex Crivillé and Mick Doohan. Other than that I draw a blank.

Lets not get carried away people. That was the first MotoGP race since 2006 that has been decided by a last lap overtake. Also taking Rossi out of the equation can anybody remember the last time there was an AWESOME MotoGP race without Rossi being the protagonist?

I have my fingers crossed Bautista/Simonchelli can produce the goods when they move up and Rossi leaves. Otherwise MotoGP is gonna be pish!

The same thing happened in 07 on the same track with Stoner and Rossi but the winner was Stoner.
Quote from 5haz :Just goes to show that with the right vehicle, even Catalunya can have some exciting racing.

MotoGP at Catalunya has been a good race for the past few years... It's F1 cars that suck
#83 - 5haz
Quote from Gil07 :MotoGP at Catalunya has been a good race for the past few years... It's F1 cars that suck

Yeah you just repeated what I said.
Quote from Intrepid :MotoGP is boring it'as just that Valentino Rossi isn't!! He makes MotoGP the spectacle it is. Without him it would be as dull as dish water. I honestly can't remember the last great MotoGP race that didn't involve Vale. I recall some close fights between Àlex Crivillé and Mick Doohan. Other than that I draw a blank.

To be fair, Lorenzo is almost as exiciting, just without as much of the "character" as Rossi, but a good rider nevertheless. Lorenzo would happily be a match for Stoner, Lorenzo's riding has gone up 10fold, he's a genuine title challenger..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be fair, Lorenzo is almost as exiciting, just without as much of the "character" as Rossi, but a good rider nevertheless. Lorenzo would happily be a match for Stoner, Lorenzo's riding has gone up 10fold, he's a genuine title challenger..

Stoner/Lorenzo and others are exciting but only when they are racing Rossi. he's creates the excitement

On their own it's pretty boring stuff.
I found Le Mans exciting.. but maybe that's just cause I find bike racing more exciting anyway..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lorenzo's riding has gone up 10fold, he's a genuine title challenger..

He was from day one of his rookie season, only the horrific China crash that put the brakes on that a bit, he may even have been leading the championship at that point. If you had to bet on anybody to become a new world champion then it would be him.

MotoGP is Rossi-centric. He's always involved the best races, the most recent great battle for the win I recall that he doesn't feature is the Hayden-Edwards scrap at Assen in '06! That says a lot probably, but then more often than not Rossi is at the front and in 07 it was a Ducati show with Stoner clearing off half the time.

Like I said before though, that doesn't bother me at all. It's like saying the World Cup's only great when Brazil are playing well. Most of the time they do, so it doesn't matter
Quote from sinbad :
Like I said before though, that doesn't bother me at all. It's like saying the World Cup's only great when Brazil are playing well. Most of the time they do, so it doesn't matter

But Rossi won't be there forever.
Quote from sinbad :He was from day one of his rookie season, only the horrific China crash that put the brakes on that a bit, he may even have been leading the championship at that point. If you had to bet on anybody to become a new world champion then it would be him.

MotoGP is Rossi-centric. He's always involved the best races, the most recent great battle for the win I recall that he doesn't feature is the Hayden-Edwards scrap at Assen in '06! That says a lot probably, but then more often than not Rossi is at the front and in 07 it was a Ducati show with Stoner clearing off half the time.

I agree Rossi is very much a Moto GP attraction. Mannyyyyy many people watch it just for him. Then again he is very skilful. By the time Rossi goes (He'll be racing for many years to come, I think), someone else would have stepped into the spotlight.. who knows, maybe Bradley Smith or another one of the brits, from 125 in a few seasons time..
ive watched the last 3 laps like 10 times so far.. never gets boring and it raises the hairs everytime
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I agree Rossi is very much a Moto GP attraction. Mannyyyyy many people watch it just for him. Then again he is very skilful. By the time Rossi goes (He'll be racing for many years to come, I think), someone else would have stepped into the spotlight.. who knows, maybe Bradley Smith or another one of the brits, from 125 in a few seasons time..

Fingers crossed Simonchelli and Bautista can do summit
im waiting for the announcement....

Ben Spies to Monster Tech Trois yamaha 2010.

the man is doin awesome in WSBK.. racing tracks he never raced finishing 1st or podiums all time.. had a few crashes tho which he never did in ama.

look suzuki last season in motogp when he did couple of rides.. on a shit bike.. was up there top 8.

so imagine a works yamaha... PWNAGE...

whose place will he take? probably Edwards.. as there are rumours he goes to aprillia WSBK replace nakano..

and bautista may replace toseland... now... jus imagine...

rossi lorenzo spies and bautista on yamahas... how epic would that be.
Quote from BreadC :rossi lorenzo spies and bautista on yamahas... how epic would that be.

*head splode*
Quote from BreadC :im waiting for the announcement....

Ben Spies to Monster Tech Trois yamaha 2010.

the man is doin awesome in WSBK.. racing tracks he never raced finishing 1st or podiums all time.. had a few crashes tho which he never did in ama.

look suzuki last season in motogp when he did couple of rides.. on a shit bike.. was up there top 8.

so imagine a works yamaha... PWNAGE...

whose place will he take? probably Edwards.. as there are rumours he goes to aprillia WSBK replace nakano..

and bautista may replace toseland... now... jus imagine...

rossi lorenzo spies and bautista on yamahas... how epic would that be.

I heard Edwards is by far the more likely of the two tech3 riders to keep his ride for 2010, and rightly so. As good as Spies is, though, the tech3 bike is never going to make him a match for Lorenzo and Rossi on full factory bikes.

Rumour has it a few big names in GP are debating whether to continue in the series anyway because of rule changes and so forth, give it a few years and maybe WSBK will be the "premier" class. If Stoner and Rossi make the move it would happen almost over night. Stoner and Haga on 1198s vs. Rossi and Spies on R1s would be equally epic.
I once watched the R6 cup in which Valentino was present to add his thoughts on the series a few years back now. I recall he questioned whether the series was that good for riders as they didn't learn development and set up skills. With the restrictions (of course less than R6 cup but the bikes aren't prototypes like MotoGP) in world superbikes I could easily see Rossi calling it a day.

The very thing that kept him in MotoGP was whether he could make the difference at Yamaha. I can't see him doing WSBK in any sense it's not in his make up. I actually think MotoGP would have died years ago (or come close) had Rossi not existed.
Quote from sinbad :I heard Edwards is by far the more likely of the two tech3 riders to keep his ride for 2010, and rightly so. As good as Spies is, though, the tech3 bike is never going to make him a match for Lorenzo and Rossi on full factory bikes.

Rumour has it a few big names in GP are debating whether to continue in the series anyway because of rule changes and so forth, give it a few years and maybe WSBK will be the "premier" class. If Stoner and Rossi make the move it would happen almost over night. Stoner and Haga on 1198s vs. Rossi and Spies on R1s would be equally epic.

yamaha will provide full 100% factory bikes to tech trois if they got spies and bautista... thats for sure
i have to agree with BenC, i've heard about edwards moving to wsbk on numerous occasions lately.

World superbikes will never be as epic as motogp though, the racing may be closer on more occasions than moto gp is, but moto gp will always be #1 for me Really hope rossi/stoner/lorenzo etc don't downgrade
Another great race yesterday ! good race for Nicky. Nice surprice by Pedrosa tho.
Great race? Pretty dull to me apart from Pedrosa nearly ****ing it all up.
The race needed 1 or 2 more laps, then it could have been an epic finish.

Or Lorenzo being a bit more patient and not trying to pass at the very first opportunity and being too fast for the corner.

MotoGP
(298 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG