The online racing simulator
You can easily get away with it if you dont have a smash, but it's still a very stupid thing to do. If you ever went past an ANPR camera, it would still say your insured. While it is rare for a police officer to look under your bonnet, it does happen and its not hard for him to check whether that engine in there is the same as what your insurance company thinks it is. Afaik, the only "mods" you can get away with not declaring are mods to the interior and/or audio mods, like speakers or a stereo. If you dont declare these though, you wont be able to claim for them if a thief ever steals them.
Quote from tristancliffe :Good post Nathan. I agree.

Lol at tuning a scooter. 33mph becomes 34mph! Wow!

Well i was 16 and it was the only thing i could drive on the road. I only put the engine in because my old one blew up, and the doner scooter had the exhaust too, so i put it on whilst i was messing with the engine. And i didn't pay for it and a little more torque for hills was alot nicer, so shuv it up your ass
Who u calling a dick you cock sucking rat cnut?... wtf should he not listen to? I was only telling about what happened to one of my cars years ago and the Corsa 2l was tongue in cheek ffs, It was that or a Skyline i was going to post... No need to get all on ur high horse about laws and morals, i didnt tell him to do one or the other... Also about pushing up premiums.. Thats women drivers and young idiots faults not mine... Ive had 4 accidents in over 10 years of driving..... Once was my fault just after passing my test (young idiot).... the 3 other times were women driving like women and not looking where they were going... Having 9 years no claims doesnt push premiums up....

So is pearcy in Nathans dick and dork boat for using mods without insurance's knowledge years ago too?

EDIT: Also, i mean idiot drivers that are young, not young drivers are idiots....
Im not getting on my high horse about nothing. Im calling YOU a dick because your driving around in an uninsured car which is a liability to everyone else on the road, who you can cause alot of headaches if you were to smash into them. Its not worth the hassle of not declaring mods. Your always on edge if you get pulled over by a cop, and you WILL get into deep trouble if you have a smash, especially if you kill someone.

Its NOT women drivers and young people that are pushing our premiums up. A woman driver can be just as good a driver as a man, and not all young people are boy racing chavs who want to drive everywhere like they've sat on a bee. Its people that are insured from either not declaring mods or just not having any insurance that are pushing premiums up. They have a smash, the other guy cant claim because the guy who crashed into him has no insurance. So the guy who got crashed into has alot of heartache, lose's his NCB which then pushes his premium up on his renewal.

Foil, if you have NINE years NCB (which is then looked at as "unlimited NCB" on your policy) then why the hell have you not declared the mods? I imagine your at least 26 years of age with that ammount of NCB so i cant imagine a bigger engine would push up your premium that much. Either that or your just the biggest tight arse to walk this earth. You have all that cash to put a V6 into an astra, yet you cant afford an extra couple of hundred pounds to keep your car legally on the road.

No, pearcy is not in my "dick and dork" boat...whatever that means. He's admitted he has made a genuine mistake. While that may have been silly of him, it happens. As for you, you KNOW your driving around in an illegal car with undeclared mods. Thats makes it alot different. You know that if you have a crash, your uninsured. You know that if you crash into someone, you can ruin there policy and force there premium up. You know that if you kill someone, you ARE going to prison, yet you still drive around in a car which should not even be on the road.
Quote from sam93 :So you think because a car is cheap and old it's going to be unreliable, what a load of bull lol. This is not always true.

A lot of E36 316i's are £500-£1,500.

I don't have the money for the insurance, will pay monthly so each months wages, most of it will go on insurance money. My 2008 Aprilia RS50 aka chicken chaser will buy my car as I am going to spend at the most, £1,000 on a car as that's what I should get for my RS.

Sure it's not allways true, but if your buying such a car cheap then you have to wonder why it's so cheap, older cars are allwasy going to give you some bother.

As for paying your insurance monthly, bad idea, a quote of say £1700 will come out at 2k or more, when I got my quote of £700 from elephant if I payed it monthly it ended up at £1150.

I saw some advice on here, take out the lowest interest credit card you can find, pay the insurance with that and then pay money to that every month, it will end up far cheaper than doing it through the insurance company. There's also those cashback websites, who refund you money if you buy your insurance through them. (Up to £100 iirc) Though i've never used them before, lots of people have and it seems to work.

I still think a 316 under a grand is just gunna cost you money with parts etc, but I hope i'm wrong.
Nathan, the car had 93 miles on it since getting Mot'd n Taxed before the lady crashed into me.. I had the car back for maybe 2 hours after it being away for weeks getting the work done.. The docs were going to get changed anyway because my broker said id probably get cheaper insurance because of some alternative policy or something due to not having a specific model code for being 3L...

I never condoned or promoted what i did in my previous posts. I told an unbiased thing that happened...

Yet you still went off on a dick calling preach....

Driving is my favourite thing and iv spent too much money and time over the years keeping everything tiptop, Insured, taxed ect ect... I cant risk my licence due to being bugger all work here....

You never used a car with maybe a close to bald tyre for a few days ever before?.. Just as illegal, tho more dangerous than this.....
Quote from tristancliffe :Mine was 1.6 petrol. Certainly not 'rapid' but quick enough for me at the time. I was only about 20 and therefore incapable of handing more than about 120hp on four wheels (not that most 20 years would admit that at the time. Myself included).

As long as it get's reliably from A to B, who really cares how quick it goes, especially regarding a first car.
Wasn't my first car!
Quote from tristancliffe :Wasn't my first car!

Didn't say it was xD

Just saying in relation that perhaps our Sam here should check it out.
Quote from Foilpact :Nathan, the car had 93 miles on it since getting Mot'd n Taxed before the lady crashed into me.. I had the car back for maybe 2 hours after it being away for weeks getting the work done.. The docs were going to get changed anyway because my broker said id probably get cheaper insurance because of some alternative policy or something due to not having a specific model code for being 3L...

I never condoned or promoted what i did in my previous posts. I told an unbiased thing that happened...

Yet you still went off on a dick calling preach....

Driving is my favourite thing and iv spent too much money and time over the years keeping everything tiptop, Insured, taxed ect ect... I cant risk my licence due to being bugger all work here....

You never used a car with maybe a close to bald tyre for a few days ever before?.. Just as illegal, tho more dangerous than this.....

It does'nt matter whether you have done 1 mile, or 100 miles. Your still on a public road in a uninsured car which should not be on the road in the first place. Sure you never suggested sam should do such a thing, but posting links to cars like that will just give him bad ideas. I have personally never driven a car that is unroadworthy or uninsured. The closest i have done to the following is driven a car with no tax, but i have access to trade plates so it makes no difference.

Yes i did call you a dick, but i do not take it back. In my eyes, your still a dangerous person to be on the road and one which i would not like to be driving by. Im sure you may be a fantastic guy in person, but my opinion still holds. Do you not think about the consequences of what could happen in your circumstances? Without a doubt, you could be facing prison if you killed someone in your car. Sure, you could think "i live in a small town, like that would happen!" but it really, REALLY does. Also, if you really are declaring the engine and getting it sorted then thats great but driving it on the road after is a bad idea, even if your just testing it. Get the V5 sorted and insurance sorted before you getting the final fitting done. At least then, you can happily drive and test the car on public roads without having the worry about the police.

EDIT: About time i put my 2 pence to sam. An E36 would make a nice first car for you sam, but i would strongly reccomend taking into account what others have said here. If it needed a major job and it was one you could not do yourself, then it could be quite expensive as parts are a little on the hefty side. All in all though, there good cars and not that bad to look after and maintain. Would also help you to learn the characteristics of cars due to them being RWD. As for peugeot 306's, dont write them off your potential list just because there french. As said before (tristan?), they were made in the era when peugeots were reliable. They are reliable cars and fun to drive, and have alot of potential if you ever did go down the tuning route (not that i condone this! ). I've had a 1993 phase 1 1.4, and this was a great little car. Good handling, and enough power to do you for everyday use (around 70hp i believe). Also, there very roomy cars. I've now got a GTI6 rallye, but obviously this might be abit expensive for you to insure. I would reccomend one for when your insurance comes down though! The turbo diesel's are great too, but i would reccomend going for the older DT's and not the HDi's as the latter are abit gutless. The older DT's are very nippy too and they provide alot of torque. So to sum up, i would reccomend the BMW for a nicer all round car, and the peugeot for a cheaper to run, basic mode of transport. Just remember, the money you save is the money that can go into buying you a nicer car in a year or two.
an nice E30 would be cool to
Do what I did. Buy a Group 12 insurance, 1.8 VW at 17. Cheap as chips.
So im a dick and a danger to everyone on the road because i drove for 2 hours without telling th insurance my mods years ago?... Fair enough... Tho i think 80% of drivers that mod their cars are guilty of the same thing.... Tho they never will tell the insurance...

Still 9 years NCB... Cant be too much of a danger....
handbags down girls...
Quote from Foilpact :Who u calling a dick you cock sucking rat cnut?... wtf should he not listen to? I was only telling about what happened to one of my cars years ago and the Corsa 2l was tongue in cheek ffs, It was that or a Skyline i was going to post... No need to get all on ur high horse about laws and morals, i didnt tell him to do one or the other... Also about pushing up premiums.. Thats women drivers and young idiots faults not mine... Ive had 4 accidents in over 10 years of driving..... Once was my fault just after passing my test (young idiot).... the 3 other times were women driving like women and not looking where they were going... Having 9 years no claims doesnt push premiums up....

So is pearcy in Nathans dick and dork boat for using mods without insurance's knowledge years ago too?

EDIT: Also, i mean idiot drivers that are young, not young drivers are idiots....

You're obviously an idiot driver for driving around in a car that had a bigger engine in then what was declared.

Oh and another thing, not all woman are bad drivers, I bet I know a few woman who could drive better then you. Both genders have bad drivers, its not just the one gender!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to be declaring all the mods done to my car, I checked last night when I did a quote to see if my premium will be pushed up any if it had the Mtech kit on it, and it remained the same, so I will declare it.

If I have my ECU chipped and remapped I highly doubt the insurance would find out about that, so I think that it's a mod that doesn't really need to be declared.

I wont be driving my car like a dick on a public highway anyway, I want to build up NCB to bring my premium down. Not drive like a dick and my insurance go up tenfold lol.
My car came with a K&N filter and a brand new performance exhaust kit from the previous owner, and I'm not declaring it. I'm fairly sure more's been done too, but it can't be seen without stripping the car even more. Am I a menace to society too?

Quote from sam93 :If I have my ECU chipped and remapped I highly doubt the insurance would find out about that, so I think that it's a mod that doesn't really need to be declared.

Quote from sam93 :I wont be driving my car like a dick on a public highway anyway, I want to build up NCB to bring my premium down. Not drive like a dick and my insurance go up tenfold lol.

Why remap your ECU (which WILL cost £100's to get done right, as it needs to be done by an actual professional with a dyno) if you're just going to pootle along like a Rover driver on a Sunday? Be under no illusions - you WILL drive the car faster than you say you will, and you more than likely will have a crash or at least a couple of good scares. It's a common trait of young male drivers

That's why I decided to get what is essentially a go-kart with doors. It feels like you're doing 80 when you do 60, and has 65mm ground clearance as standard so it sticks to the road like no-one's business. Plus it has a huge zorst and an aftermarket filter so it sounds the business too
Sam, you just criticised foilpact for not declaring mods, yet you want to do the same? :doh:

If you get the car remapped or chipped, they can find out. I cant remember the proper name of the computer they use (its not a data scanner as someone said a few pages back. Thats for looking for any electronical faults, not changes.) but they plug it into the ECU and it will notify them of any changes made to the map, and the date. If this date is before you took the policy out and bought the car, then your fine as you would'nt have known. If its at any period while you had the insurance policy or owned the car, then your insurance will be invalid and you would be left with a big headache. Its really not worth the hassle sam. I would'nt really reccomend re-mapping something like a 1.6 E36 as your really not going to notice a difference in performance, so its a waste of money.

I know its kinda pointless me saying this, as i know your just gonna tell me to "F OFF" and do it anyway, but seriously, save your money. Try to be patient. The money you save from NOT doing a remap can go towards a nicer car for yourself in a year or two. Them couple of years will fly by.

@ foilpact, you just dont get it do you? I could'nt give a damn whether you was on the road for 2 hours, your still on a PUBLIC road without insurance. And i sincerely doubt you was on the road for just 2 hours. I just hope an ANPR camera picks you up and you get banned, as you deserve it imo.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Sam, you just criticised foilpact for not declaring mods, yet you want to do the same? :doh:

If you get the car remapped or chipped, they can find out. I cant remember the proper name of the computer they use (its not a data scanner as someone said a few pages back. Thats for looking for any electronical faults, not changes.) but they plug it into the ECU and it will notify them of any changes made to the map, and the date. If this date is before you took the policy out and bought the car, then your fine as you would'nt have known. If its at any period while you had the insurance policy or owned the car, then your insurance will be invalid and you would be left with a big headache. Its really not worth the hassle sam. I would'nt really reccomend re-mapping something like a 1.6 E36 as your really not going to notice a difference in performance, so its a waste of money.

I know its kinda pointless me saying this, as i know your just gonna tell me to "F OFF" and do it anyway, but seriously, save your money. Try to be patient. The money you save from NOT doing a remap can go towards a nicer car for yourself in a year or two. Them couple of years will fly by.

@ foilpact, you just dont get it do you? I could'nt give a damn whether you was on the road for 2 hours, your still on a PUBLIC road without insurance. And i sincerely doubt you was on the road for just 2 hours. I just hope an ANPR camera picks you up and you get banned, as you deserve it imo.

I want to remap the car, doesn't mean it will go ahead. Oh, yeah I critised foilpack but there is a slight difference not declaring a remap and not declaring a whole engine that is bigger then the standard one lol. Yes, it's still makes the insurance void but I think not declaring the engine is a lot worse then not declaring a remap.

I know the car will have to be mapped properly, I'm not stupid lol.

Also, of course you'll notice the difference with a remap, the car will be creating more HP and torque, may be a minimal gain but I reckon you'll still notice it.

This is my plan really, get a 316i E36 until I am 19/20 then sell it and buy a E30 323 or 325 with the Mtech 2 kit on it. keep that for a year or two, sell it and buy a car to modify.
But thats the thing, your really not gonna notice a difference in something as small as a 1.6, especially when its just a road car. Remaps are expensive to get done properly. Save your money and put it towards a nicer car for when your older.

oh, and if you did'nt declare the modification, that would make you no better than foilpact, even if the said modification is less significant. You will still be driving around with no insurance.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :But thats the thing, your really not gonna notice a difference in something as small as a 1.6, especially when its just a road car. Remaps are expensive to get done properly. Save your money and put it towards a nicer car for when your older.

oh, and if you did'nt declare the modification, that would make you no better than foilpact, even if the said modification is less significant. You will still be driving around with no insurance.

Yes I know you should not drive around unless you have all mods declared. I bet not one person on here as at least one thing that has been put on the car since it left the factory and they haven't declared it to their insurance company.

We have a car that has been chipped (1.9 TDI A4) and you can notice the difference in that, just can feel it pull a lot better.

Really though, it's may choice and business what I have done to the car, if I want it done, I'll get it done :P
Of course your going to notice it more in a 1.9 turbo diesel! Its a bigger engine, and ultilise's a turbo. The VAG diesels take very well to a remap anyhow, but comparing it to a weedy 1.6 is pointless. Yes, i know my advice is'nt going to make a difference to your decision...ill just wait for you to post here once you'ce had it done, wondering why you have spent hundreds of pounds to get a remap yet have'nt got much more performance.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Of course your going to notice it more in a 1.9 turbo diesel! Its a bigger engine, and ultilise's a turbo. The VAG diesels take very well to a remap anyhow, but comparing it to a weedy 1.6 is pointless. Yes, i know my advice is'nt going to make a difference to your decision...ill just wait for you to post here once you'ce had it done, wondering why you have spent hundreds of pounds to get a remap yet have'nt got much more performance.

Lol, a bit more grunt it all I want, I'm not looking for a massive noticeable difference. Like I said, I may not get it done yet.

This is what I wouldn't mind doing.
4-2-1 Manifold
Full Milltek exhaust
Chip
Remap
Sports intake (People say they are pointless?)
I think your dreaming abit too much. Just wait and see how much all that pushes up your premium.
Re mapping non turbo cars is pretty pointless when you consider how much it costs to remap your car to how much gain you get from it.

Remapping a 1.4 16v golf adds about 4bhp. Full stainless steel exhaust system and induction kit (this guy spent about 500 euros on this) and it added 6bhp. So yea, I doubt the 1.6 is gunna be much differnt.

Who cares what it sends his premium, spending all that money on a car worth under 1500 quid is like buying a chocolate teapot.

Oh yea, forgot to add, remapping a 1.9tdi golf adds about 40bhp, so it's no wonder that the audi feels a lot faster, because it really only benefits turbo cars.
Yeah a remap / chip whatever in stock 1.6 N/A engine is pretty pointless. It costs a lot and doesn't make a lot of difference if at all. You can pretty much get the same result by just increasing the fuel pressure a bit.

From the things you have listed the 4-2-1 header is probably gonna have the best effect, it can add some torque. Tho you can't know for sure. And I dunno how bad the stock header is in these BMWs.

So called "sports intakes" can be pointless, or sometimes they can have an effect, but they are better in engines what are tuned already.
This may sound a little bit rice I know, but the biggest effect is probably that it's gonna make the engine sound a lot better, it increases the intake sound so it's not completely worthless. I think that if you have two options to do for a stock engine, a bigger exhaust, or a "sport" intake you should go for the intake because nothing sounds more stupid than a stock engine with huge exhaust, but nothing heard from the intake.
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG