The online racing simulator
LFS vs GT5 Physics reviews?
(111 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well turn the traction control off, put it on professional physics, turn all aids off. I find that then in any car above say, 260bhp will happily begin to drift. Try uhh, Fuji Raceway? Try that in the Ford GT race car...

Personally all the "critiquing" is getting weary-some.. just enjoy what is a very nice looking game with a huuge choice of cars and tracks, pretty decent sounds and a more than acceptable physics engine.

Offcourse i did that But i'm talking about starting the car, not drifting. Full throttle results in nothing what so ever, car just starts rolling without any wheel spin, etc.
I'm "critiquing" because i really want this to be at LFS-close level of realism. Just imagine that, with all these cars and tracks, Top Gear airport, etc..
Ahh, well yes. Always been a slight "issue" with GT physics, for some reason. But we can't have it all!
GTp is not realistic.. at all.
then LFS is actually NFS
Quote from Boris Lozac :Offcourse i did that But i'm talking about starting the car, not drifting. Full throttle results in nothing what so ever, car just starts rolling without any wheel spin, etc.
I'm "critiquing" because i really want this to be at LFS-close level of realism. Just imagine that, with all these cars and tracks, Top Gear airport, etc..

When i tried it the last time, cars had wheelspin off the line. As i said above, street ("simulation") tires help a lot.

Besides, on a dry road, it takes quite a bit of power for a car to start spinning its wheels, unless you rev the engine and drop the clutch of course.
its cause gt5 is too cool for you :P
Quote from chavm481 :^i agree and are waiting for gt5 this october!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of british to you then, cos the first October you'll get to drive that will be in 2010. Best guess is worldwide release for March 2010, and its got next to no change of being this year as they wont even say what quarter let alone an actual release date.
p.s that 'sneak peak' video you posted, the whole world got the same 'sneak peak' via E3 4 days earlier
Most of the developers conferences were broadcast, the 3 console manufacturers certainly was and GT5 (& GT Mobile) were made only during Sony's conference.
Kaz Yamauchi was there to talk about the PSP version, but said nothing about the PS3 one, so best hope is for some announcement at the big Asian conference in a few months time.

Personally i dont play the GT series in the belief that its the most superior racing simulator around, i play it because I find it enjoyable, in many ways its superior to LFS, and equally its inferior to LFS.
With the GT series i get to drive round locations I can only see on TV, drive amazing cars i can only hope of seeing in real life, and it actually has a single player mode with challenges and AI which you can race against!
LFS has a community and online aspect which no console game will surpass, and more realistic physics (though not perfect).

I dont really understand the big deal really, GT has been about realistic driving but not so much so that it only appeals to a niche market. Its about as close to a simulator as i'd expect a console to go, in terms of accuracy/realism of feel.

Night & weather is supposed to be included, as said by Kaz himself (i know both night & wet surface was used in Tokyo tracks, but im guessing all tracks have it available to them). Damage hasnt been confirmed to any extent beyond the damaged rally car, hopefully its all cars but you couldnt be too suprised if it was limited to some race classes where damage was a regular occurance. Hopefully its not just visual damage too.
The other big rumour is some form of track editor, probably not a blank canvas if theres any truth to it, but it could be interesting... IF theres truth to it.
Anyone who hasnt seen the video of ModNation Racer should head to gametrailers.com and check that out, its a fun kart racer ala Mario Kart, but the big kicker is a truely amazing track editor capable of making attractive, detailed tracks within 5-10min which even a 6yr old could understand.
If GT5 or even GT6 could manage something similar with near photo realistic results, i'd never go outdoors ever again!!
Quote from Zac86 :Any avid GT5 prologue players here? I'm kinda thinking about buying a PS3 in anticiaption for the release of GT5 since i'm kinda getting bored of LFS but it always brings me back because I cannot find another simulator with proper physics like LFS. Just want to know if anyone has a comparasion of the 2. thank you.

Forget GT5, Forza 3 is due out in September & should be pretty darn good if forza2 is anything to go by.
Quote from anttt69 :Forget GT5, Forza 3 is due out in September & should be pretty darn good if forza2 is anything to go by.

So what? Why forget GT5?
Shiny graphics
Poor physics
Bad sound effects

Oh yea & a PS3 console cost roughly twice that of a 360. I used to be a Playstation stalwart but these modern PS3's seem to be for flash gits with money. The playstation used to be a good value gaming console. I think the PS3 is a bit ott & apart from playstation network doesnt give anything extra (not even better graphics) than its cheaper rival.
Quote from anttt69 :Shiny graphics
Poor physics
Bad sound effects

Oh yea & a PS3 console cost roughly twice that of a 360. I used to be a Playstation stalwart but these modern PS3's seem to be for flash gits with money. The playstation used to be a good value gaming console. I think the PS3 is a bit ott & apart from playstation network doesnt give anything extra (not even better graphics) than its cheaper rival.

Have you even played GT5, futhermore, have you ever played with a ps3?
Please back up your claims, sounds like you're just bitter for not being able to afford on, atleast thats the impression your post gives.

Anyway, no bashing here, Forza thread this way - > http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=58018
Poor physics
Bad sound effects

You can't really say it has bad sound effects. The car sounds were recorded from the real car counterpart and they sound very realistic to be honest. If you are just assuming that they are exactly like they were in GT4 then you are dead wrong. The physics are far from poor, no worse than Forza's and I HAVE tried both. The PS3 actually does not cost any more than the 360 when you add up all the expenses of the 360. The PS3 comes as a whole package with the wireless and blueray and everything included without having to buy extras. That and the fact you have to buy the XBL sub fees for the 360 AND then most likely have to pay another 60 bob to fix it when it breaks. The only reason the PS3 does not deliver better gfx than the 360 for a lot of games is because they are multiplatform and have to fun on the 360 aswell. Look at PS3 exclusives, the best example relevant to the topic, GT5. It's way ahead of anything else on the 360 in terms of the graphics. So how about instead, forget FM3, GT5 is due to be out... sometime in the next year!
Quote from Gills4life :The PS3 actually does not cost any more than the 360 when you add up all the expenses of the 360. The PS3 comes as a whole package with the wireless and blueray and everything included without having to buy extras. That and the fact you have to buy the XBL sub fees for the 360 AND then most likely have to pay another 60 bob to fix it when it breaks.

I really loathe that debate....anyone who plays that debate is a fanboy. It cost me $400 for my console and the ability to use Live. I have more HD space than the comparably priced PS3, I have all the same games as PS3 (except for exclusives, that goes both ways). I have a better online experience than PS3, one that keeps mateuring (last.fm, netflix, twitter, facebook, community games, ect). My games tend to have sharper and more vibrant textures, this is due to PS3's lack of graphic processing power (Cell CPU is not a GPU).

They are 2 different consoles. I own both. I have played the same games on both consoles...it stuck me as odd that PS3 textures usually look more blurry and washed out compared to 360. If you poke around the web you can find comparisons confirming this too. I find PSN to be pretty poor compared to Live (you get what you pay for?) and Home is a joke. I like my PS3 but I like my 360 better because of the online community and ease of hopping into games with friends.

GT5 vs LFS is really a non-debate. I think GT5 vs Forza 3 is more reasonable. I used to love the GT series but after playing Forza 2 I was converted. The physics, damage, and sounds of Forza 2 blew me away. It seems Polyphony loves their eye candy because it sells. They never really talk about the 'sim side' only how pretty the game is.

Recently in an interview Turn-10 said, "The game [Forza 3] delivers these astonishing realistic graphics while calculating physics at 360 times per a second." That's impressive for a lil console, imo. Cars in GT5 can't even roll over, I'd say that's a big hole in the physics.
Poor physics
Bad sound effects

Maybe its for people who want to buy something reliable, that didnt have a 33% rate of failure in its first year, for the first 2 years it was on the market, or didnt destroy there DVDs even though MS knew about this problem FROM DAY ONE and still allowed it to go on shelves and ruin peoples games discs.

Statisticly you've got better odds of surviving a round of russian roullette than you have of getting a 360 thats reliable!

We'll ignore the fact that the technologicly superior xbox was on the market for only a couple of years before MS decided they had to release something new so they'd get an early market share, they rushed out a half-arsed machine which was marginally more advanced that the xbox. The only thing 'next-gen' on the 360 is a HDMI port... and it took over 2 years for them to figure that out, and isnt even in every model.
Quote from PaulC2K :Maybe its for people who want to buy something reliable, that didnt have a 33% rate of failure in its first year, for the first 2 years it was on the market, or didnt destroy there DVDs even though MS knew about this problem FROM DAY ONE and still allowed it to go on shelves and ruin peoples games discs.

Statisticly you've got better odds of surviving a round of russian roullette than you have of getting a 360 thats reliable!

We'll ignore the fact that the technologicly superior xbox was on the market for only a couple of years before MS decided they had to release something new so they'd get an early market share, they rushed out a half-arsed machine which was marginally more advanced that the xbox. The only thing 'next-gen' on the 360 is a HDMI port... and it took over 2 years for them to figure that out, and isnt even in every model.

i dont know about the xbox but as you say the ps3 is very reliable and have never brought me any trouble

as far as gt5p goes i think its pretty fun and compared to gt4 its amazing
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :I really loathe that debate....anyone who plays that debate is a fanboy.

They never really talk about the 'sim side' only how pretty the game is.

Cars in GT5 can't even roll over

I think it's the same for you then. If you cannot see that really you are paying more for 360 than you are to get a PS3 with everything already included, then you are being the fanboy. The 360 console itself is cheaper than the PS3, yes, I do not dispute that. However, add up all the expenses that you have to pay for with the 360 and in the end it will come to more than what you pay for, for a PS3. You can't call me a fanboy for simply stating the truth really.

I am a PC fanboy though

Saying that they never talk about the "sim side" and only how pretty it is, is also very far from the truth. I don't really understand how you can make that remark when it is so untrue.

How can you say cars in GT5 can't roll over when it hasn't even been released yet? Do you know something that we don't?
Quote from Gills4life :
How can you say cars in GT5 can't roll over when it hasn't even been released yet? Do you know something that we don't?

Well in pretty much every GT game it wasn't possible, and i HIGHLY doubt it will be possible in this one.
I just making facepalmng now...LFS and GT5 ? Different World, nothing more IMO
Quote from G!NhO :Well in pretty much every GT game it wasn't possible, and i HIGHLY doubt it will be possible in this one.

ye but in every other gt game there wasnt damage well be getting that now and i doubted the very much
Quote from Gills4life :I think it's the same for you then. If you cannot see that really you are paying more for 360 than you are to get a PS3 with everything already included, then you are being the fanboy. The 360 console itself is cheaper than the PS3, yes, I do not dispute that. However, add up all the expenses that you have to pay for with the 360 and in the end it will come to more than what you pay for, for a PS3. You can't call me a fanboy for simply stating the truth really.

There is something called value. I own both consoles...to me the PS3 has less over all value compared to the 360 dollar for dollar. I use Netflix all the time. I'm looking forward to last.fm coming to Live. I play the 360 more because the online community and usability is more simple than PSN's when it comes to playing with friends. I didn't say the PS3 was a bad console, they have a 10 year plan for it and it can only mature more.

The PS3 is more difficult to develop for so devs usually assemble things on 360 then port it over, that's a fact. Majority of games look better on 360 due to this and also due to PS3's lack of graphical power compared to 360. These are facts, not fanboy remarks.
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :Majority of games look better on 360 due to this and also due to PS3's lack of graphical power compared to 360. These are facts, not fanboy remarks.

Um, those are not facts, stop your fanboyism, it's getting redicolous. Just take a glimpse on Killzone 2, Uncharted and upcoming Uncharted 2, and tell me that PS3 lacks in graphical power Multiplatforms looked slightly better in first year, year and a half on 360 cause it's basically a PC, developers already knew how to develop for it. In last year every multiplatform looks the same on both platforms, with very distinguishingly better looking PS3 exclusives.
They should have provided the PS3 with more memory, then i'd would have been great. I know have an Xbox....

LFS vs GT5 Physics reviews?
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG