The online racing simulator
Let's get real, there won't be S3
(849 posts, started )
Quote from MajorNut :TBH i think they are lazy toads and sitting back on their millions having a jolly.

IF this was true would that not be up to them?

IF this was true then why is Scawen still posting in Test patch thread?

IF this was true then why were lfsworld, lfsforum and the master server taken down for an upgrade not so long ago (last month?)?

TBH I think you are on a wind up.
Quote from menantoll :IF this was true would that not be up to them?

IF this was true then why is Scawen still posting in Test patch thread?

IF this was true then why were lfsworld, lfsforum and the master server taken down for an upgrade not so long ago (last month?)?

TBH I think you are on a wind up.

lol... on a mission just like them, only i aint sitting in the bahamas knocking back cocktails while posting in the test patch thread, thats after pulling the plug on the master server to make it look like i'm busy now and again.
Quote from MajorNut :lol... on a mission just like them, only i aint sitting in the bahamas knocking back cocktails while posting in the test patch thread, thats after pulling the plug on the master server to make it look like i'm busy now and again.

You fail at copying Dustin.
Quote from zeugnimod :You fail at copying Dustin.

Whoever this dustin is sounds like a person who may understand sarcasm.
Quote from MajorNut :Whoever this dustin is sounds like a person who may understand sarcasm.

That was my point.
Those who "moan" now and IF the patch is released start saying "omg omg you guys are the best" are just hypocritical idiots. Those who are critizing the snail like pace won't get excited by a new car (and some small uninteresting stuff) almost a year since the last patch.

If the devs lost interest, have other priorities, obligations, they should just say so. The fact that Scawen occasionaly posts, doesn't show much.
If they are really that unbelievably slow, then they should just say so.
If they are doing "other stuff we don't know about", they should release it.

Right now they're keeping everyone in the dark about the future. They should either make a post saying we shouldn't expect anything or release something. But not one of those "I assure you we're still working on it" meaningless phrases. This would end the debates and assumptions.

Fanboys, flame away!
Quote from Kalev EST :
If they are doing "other stuff we don't know about", they should release it.

Even if it's just half-way done?
Scawen said that he is planning some nice releases this year!
omg, we need an info update now now now?
and then tomorrow, what then, another info update? sheesh.
Had a few minutes spare to read some posts here.

Once again I see some people are really getting angry again, and that is a pity.

I have said we are working on things but of course that does not calm some people down. The problem is that we are working on some things that will be released at some point, and some things that may or may not be released (experimental). But experience has taught us to just keep quiet when we are developing things, experimental or not.

Why?

In the case of things we are developing that will almost certainly be released, we would really love to tell the community. And thousands of forum or website readers might be pleased about that. But in time, a few people (maybe a hundred or so) will begin to become angry and frustrated, if for example we were unable to reach our release estimate. Just look at the Scirocco. While we wait for me to improve things that will improve the Scirocco, we can see hundreds of posts of anger and frustration, so we are constantly reminded, never to post information about a future release, until we are 99.9% certain that we can make the release date. We made the Scirocco announcement when we were only say... 95% certain we could make the release date, and this has caused the most amazing amount of grief. We have only ourselves to blame, and a direct apology does not fix the mess we caused by this announcement. Most community members accepted our apology but you can just read the forum to see hundreds of attacks on our work rate, secrecy, rudeness and our general bad attitude.

In the other case, where we are working on things that are in an experimental stage, and may or may not turn out to be released in the end, it's even more important not to say anything. Because this would just raise expectations and excitement, that is highly likely to turn to anger once again, when some weeks of experimental work may possibly turn out to be unused in the end.

In the past, we did write development progress reports on our website, but sometimes we had to make changes, drop an idea here or there before release, sometimes adding something else instead. Sometimes the thing we were working on did not get released, but the backlash for such a thing is just too much.

Face to face I could say to someone, "this is what I am working on". And later I could say "I couldn't finish that, for this and that reason, anyway this is what we have come up with". There would be some kind of acceptance or discussion about that. But on the internet there are some angry people around! And they make it very very clear that they are very very angry! It really is a minority of people... most people out there reading the forums behave online just the same way as in real life, with some manners, and normal human respect. But some people really lose it and unfortunately they do so, very long and very hard. So in the end, it turns out that the best way forward is just to keep on working, ignore the angry posts and so on, remind ourselves, that is just a small minority of people, and just keep going. The less information we reveal about our development plans, the less there will be to moan about when something changes or we don't meet the expected release dates.

Even with all the arguments, moaning and anger about our apparent secrecy, it's still better to keep quiet, even though it would really be nice to be able to say things like "this is something we are working on, although we're not sure when it will be finished" or "we are taking a few weeks to experiment with this thing" for the sake of general interest. That really is what we used to do but experience has led us to where we are now. I don't think that will ever change, it won't be possible to go back to a time when we could give a lot more information about our plans. Because as the realism level goes up and up, it becomes harder and harder (and takes a lot more time) to make one small step. That is what we are doing, small steps, LFS goes forward a little bit more each year. It would be really great if we could work 10 times as fast or whatever, but we just have to go on at a sustainable rate, doing this work that we enjoy, and in the way that we want to work (not by moving into an office and employing people - that's not why we are doing this - and if anyone wants to do that you are very welcome to do so yourself - there are programmers and artists for hire and you can start up your own company).

Anyway, once again, we are working on things and expect some good releases this year!
Quote from Scawen :Anyway, once again, we are working on things and expect some good releases this year!

Thanks for this post. It's good to hear something even if it's nothing specific. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us.
Quote from pik_d :Thanks for this post. It's good to hear something even if it's nothing specific. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us.

Scawen had already told us that. Is it really possible that most of the moaners would stop if they bothered to read Scawen's posts the first time?
God has spoken!

/worship
Quote from tristancliffe :Scawen had already told us that. Is it really possible that most of the moaners would stop if they bothered to read Scawen's posts the first time?

Oh I know, it's still nice to hear(read) it again. Thanks for the smug reply calling me a moaner though.
Great post... I've only been playing LFS for a little more than a year and kind of figured a lack of progress updates had something to do with a few jackasses in the community. Some people just can't help themselves when they put on the mask of anonymity.

For what it's worth, even without a steady stream of additional content and features, I've found a lot more replay value in LFS than any other sim I've even played (and I started waaaay back with Indy 500: The Simulation...). You can take your sweet time on whatever you're working on... I'm not going anywhere.
Quote from JasonJ :omg, we need an info update now now now?
and then tomorrow, what then, another info update? sheesh.

Oh dear...., I was actually trying to say "no need to post thanks devs." Then he posts right after me. ~zoink~
Quote from Scawen :Anyway, once again, we are working on things and expect some good releases this year!

Lol, I love you baby!

But the thing about the moaners are true. There are a few people on the iNet who like to critize anything just to get people angry virtually for pretty much no reason. They know they are weak and powerless in real life, so they hide behind their monitors typing c**p.
Quote from pik_d :Thanks for the smug reply calling me a moaner though.

What word would you prefer?

From Thesaurus.com:
Crybaby? Complainer? Faultfinder? Griper? Grumbler? Whiner? Grouch?
Quote from tristancliffe :What word would you prefer?

From Thesaurus.com:

Jesus Christ I was saying thank you to Scawen for making a post in a thread that has been filled to the brim with complaining and arguing. How daft can you be? Fly away troll.
Quote from Scawen :Had a few minutes spare to read some posts here.

Once again I see some people are really getting angry again, and that is a pity.

Anyway, once again, we are working on things and expect some good releases this year!

Thanks Scawen, and well said.

Trying to dissuade fears is like playing that gofer game. Every time you whack one on the head another one pops back up. The interwebs has infinite gofers, there's only one Scawen.

I, for one, am confident that the update(s??) we will see this year will be outstanding.
Quote from tristancliffe :What word would you prefer?

From Thesaurus.com:

He was never complaining...

You're posting for the sake of being a dick and if LFSW is any indication, you haven't even touched LFS in more than a year. Go away, Mr. Irrelevant.
Except that he gives very insightful informations about real world physics since he is a real racer. He is very knowledgeble of LFS to you know.

Any-hoo, me thinks Scawen's post has answered the opener's problem for the short term. Or is this the new "grump corner" place now? ^_^

Ah, enjoy the ride then.
Nice said Scawen , although You have to remember that it won't change much . I wish You that You, Vic and Eric will never loose interest in LFS (and patience to accept all kinds of people(fanboys, moaners and between) ).
Quote from tristancliffe :... Is it really possible that most of the moaners would stop if they bothered to read Scawen's posts the first time?

I guess most of the moaners are not able to read/understand such a "long" post from Scawen...

Let's get real, there won't be S3
(849 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG