The online racing simulator
Moderators
(87 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :Normal people can't close threads for a start.

The thread was closed because nothing but hard feelings and anguish could come from it - not because Sam was stopping anyone commenting on what he'd said (and he didn't even lock it ffs!)

I wasn't talking about any thread in particular, I was talking about across the board as whole.....
Why does it matter to any of you? For Gods sake, do you feel better and more greater when you have the last say in a topic?
Before you guys do go insane, saying I'm essentially immune to everything... I do get bans and infractions. So it's not like I get off unpunished.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Anyway.. back on the overall topic, I do agree that if a mod closes a thread that has some discussion it's unfair to lock it and then post their opinion as the sort of be all and end all.. that's unfair and against the whole point of an internet forum..that is, a wide variety of views which are ungoverned from the communistical actions of site moderators or admins. Clean up the thread, close it, state why you're closing it and that person A and person B are being dickheads, and leave. Don't post your opinion in the topic in hand and then go "oh btw i am closing this thread"

I've seen it happen many times before, where a moderator has closed the thread, disclosed their opinion and then buggered off, like what they say is gospel.

Joe, moderators are a guest too. No less of a guest than you and I, infact. They just have fancy names above their avatar..

Summed up what ive been trying to say, Jamie has seen it before too. Its not so much what he said there because i agree Dustin is a twunt but on more serious threads they say things more controversial, they lock it.

Of-crouse the Mods and the fan boys will argue no end that they're doing their job and are holier than thou, but i don't think you can disagree with what i quoted above, that sort of thing shouldn't happen.

I don't care if anyone thinks im pathetic for bringing this up, its something that can annoy me, i don't like the feeling it gives me afterwards and somewhere i visit quite alot i don't see why i should be made to feel that way by someone whos job here is to keep it a nice place so im bringing the issue up so i can get feedback from other users.
#55 - 5haz
Y'know theres Godwin's law, well there should be some kind of law on how long it takes before accusations of being a 'fanboy' get thrown around. Shaw's law sounds naff.

Just like comparing someone to a nazi, calling someone a fanboy is a very very cheap attempt at an insult used by those who don't have much to back up their arguments with.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Dustin is a twunt.

I take offence to this namecalling. It's immature and deeply painful to me. Because of those words, I contemplated suicide, but realized that life is still worth living after being talked down from the building by my family.

Also, there are young people around. That kind of language is totally totally unacceptable, especially namecalling!

You ****!
TBH S14, I'd much rather see you banned than Dustin, so you don't throw stones when living in glass houses, or however the saying is in English
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I take offence to this namecalling. It's immature and deeply painful to me. Because of those words, I contemplated suicide, but realized that life is still worth living after being talked down from the building by my family.

Be glad that this guy wasn't anywhere near you.

Quote from Gil07 :TBH S14, I'd much rather see you banned than Dustin, so you don't throw stones when living in glass houses, or however the saying is in English

+1
#59 - 5haz
Quote from SilverArrows77 :I place the terms "noob" and "fanboy" firmly into the same basket, as words used and thrown about by people in an vague attempt to cover inadequacies in their own argument or point of view, or as a "throw back" used generally in response to something they cannot constructively or effectively reply to. Very seldom do i see either term used in a well constructed discussion/argument.

More or less what I mean.

Why do people have this crazy idea in their heads that they're actually entitled to freedom of speech and equality on an internet forum.

Honestly, I'd love to have a fair and equal forum as much as anyone, but I know it wont happen, so I bear with it.
Everyone should be able to speak their mind if they wish, within reason. But why should the mods have that sort of voicing their opinion power over everyone else? This isn't their forum. If thats the way people want to act about it "like or lump it" so to speak, they belong in a field surrounded by other sheep and yes it is fanboy'ish because i don't think anyone in my generation would agree with what they're doing.
Rarely have I've seen that and when I did, I believe that quite a high percentage of us would have said the same thing more or less. IMO the mods most of the time just summarize the entire thread and/or give a reason why they locked the thread. I don't think they're really abusing the power of being a mod.

If you can give me an example, I will retract my words.
#62 - 5haz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Everyone should be able to speak their mind if they wish, within reason.

Well, who defines what is 'within reason' and what isn't?

How about we give you the power to decide, oh wait thats giving you moar power over the rest of us, no fair!

Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I don't think anyone in my generation would agree with what they're doing.

I don't think anyone in your generation would really give a toss.
Quote from Jakg :and he didn't even lock it ffs!

which means that he deliberately ignored the decision of another mod to stop anyone from posting further
cant say that ive been impressed with sams behaviour as a mod in the last year or so
Quote from Gil07 :TBH S14, I'd much rather see you banned than Dustin, so you don't throw stones when living in glass houses, or however the saying is in English

Ban me then. Only cause I broke into your forum LULZzzroflddddD!
I don't flamebait in every post, all the time and then have a moderator friend bail me out.... My 3 infractions were deserved and I've done by time.
How do I get bailed out?

I serve bans.

I get infractions.

Care to clearify how this is being "bailed out" by moderators?
Because you get away with more than someone else who would post your stuff would. I'm not saying "I want you to be banned", nonono.. D:

Just that what you post is not consistent with what another member would recieve if they post the same.
How so? Go look in that gcse thread.. that guy's not banned and he is posting things much more offensive than I do. Rarely do I resort to personal insults (unless they're warranted).
Ok, I was going off my last look at that thread.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Ok, I was going off my last look at that thread.

I think they banned him yeh since then. :|
#71 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :which means that he deliberately ignored the decision of another mod to stop anyone from posting further

How so?
It takes time to get around and catch up with the reported posts, especially for me as I don't check my personal mails at work, so despite spending nearly every meal, every day in front on this forum (excluding meals at restaurants of course), I do most of my moderation in the evening. We can't ever read all of the forum ourselves, and the larger number of reported posts we get now is great, IMO, as I hope we're not missing anything. Probably one or two reports per week get ignored, so there's no real issue, but the vast majority are valid, and can often sway a decision for me (for example, if I think a post is borderline for whatever reason, but several users report it, then I'll action the report).

If you have an issue with a moderators post, you are welcome to report that too. It has happened on occasion. We are certainly not above the rules here.

It comes up occasionally that moderation is a bit lax here, but to be honest I want to do as little as possible to keep things running smoothly. Having to read long, uninteresting threads to find out who started a squabble isn't productive use of my time (thankfully things like that don't come up often). Also, Vic has never really set up rules and standards of moderation, it's a case of just getting a feel for things and doing what we feel is required. I'm always open to suggestions and in fact have a bunch of PMs I'll be getting back to later tonight.

I was quite happy to be a regular user of this forum, and if people think I do an unreasonable job I'll happily stand down and probably view this place in a much less serious manner again.
Quote from Jakg :How so?

I guess shot assumes that the thread was locked before Sam posted.
Quote from Shotglass :which means that he deliberately ignored the decision of another mod to stop anyone from posting further

Quote from zeugnimod :I guess shot assumes that the thread was locked before Sam posted.

If a thread gets closed while your posting a reply, we don't realise until after the reply is made (we can reply to closed threads as if they were open). It wasn't until afterwards Sam realised someone else had closed the thread.

While I do prefer to clean up threads, it's much less effort if it's just one or two talking in an otherwise on-topic thread. If a thread is completely derailed, it's easier just to close it, especially if nobody is showing interest of talking about the topic, it's possibly nobody would pick the conversation back up after the cleaning anyway. Which makes it a waste of time and effort.

Moderation 'powers' may be many things, but fun isn't one of them.
-
(S14 DRIFT) DELETED by S14 DRIFT : oops mispost from another tab >.<
Most of the mod's IATL posts are just normal mod business (like locking it, cleaning out the spam then posting "stop spamming" or whatever), but I have seen a couple of occasions from a while back where it's been a bit less clear cut (like this for example).

But, at the end of the day...if you don't like the mods you have a few choices. Bitch to someone or leave.

Moderators
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG