The online racing simulator
Indy 500
(55 posts, started )
Indy 500
Does anyone know if the Indy 500 will be streamed anywhere that Brits can watch?
I'd imagine its on SS3 if you have Sky.
#4 - amp88
I've just watched a little bit of the coverage and the I'm really concerned about the height of the pitwall separating the track and the pitlane. It looks like it's less than 2 feet high to me. If two cars collided and one of them got a bit of air (because of tyres rubbing or a car spinning backwards through the airstream) they could easily vault the pitwall and collect personnel and/or equipment in the lane. Does anyone know why the pitwall is so low?
No point watching Dixon is going to clean up
#6 - JCTK
Quote from sil3ntwar :No point watching Dixon is going to clean up

we wish...
never discount those penske at the brickyard through~
#7 - JCTK
Quote from amp88 :I've just watched a little bit of the coverage and the I'm really concerned about the height of the pitwall separating the track and the pitlane. It looks like it's less than 2 feet high to me. If two cars collided and one of them got a bit of air (because of tyres rubbing or a car spinning backwards through the airstream) they could easily vault the pitwall and collect personnel and/or equipment in the lane. Does anyone know why the pitwall is so low?

but it's also basically the same on all ovals at America~?
seems like they aren't going to do anything to change it, until someone get killed anyway...
Back to OP's request, I now live in a country where the race will not be televised (unless any Turkish LFS'rs know otherwise) so am looking for a web stream of this event also.
I've not missed a 500 in years. It might not quite be the event when it had Unsers and Andretti's chasing each other but it is still a great spectacle.
#9 - amp88
Quote from JCTK :but it's also basically the same on all ovals at America~?
seems like they aren't going to do anything to change it, until someone get killed anyway...

I don't know what any other ovals look like because I don't watch them regularly, but if this pitwall is typical of the rest of them then it seems incredibly dangerous to me. Cars will be going 200+mph past this lane, so even the slightest contact with another car could have disastrous consequences. I know that a lot of money has been spent on researching and developing the "safer barrier", so I'm surprised the simple step of building the pitwall higher hasn't been done. The only reason I can think of they they'd keep it so low is so the public can watch what the team members are doing more closely, but it's not worth endangering the pitcrews any more than they have to be, IMO.
Quote from amp88 :I've just watched a little bit of the coverage and the I'm really concerned about the height of the pitwall separating the track and the pitlane. It looks like it's less than 2 feet high to me. If two cars collided and one of them got a bit of air (because of tyres rubbing or a car spinning backwards through the airstream) they could easily vault the pitwall and collect personnel and/or equipment in the lane. Does anyone know why the pitwall is so low?

American tracks are funny, they all (road courses and ovals) have a rather pointless concrete wall about a foot high down the middle of the pitlane, I'm not sure what the logic of this is, presumably it's intended to stop cars spinning through the pit entrance and into the garages/personel who are not working on cars, I doubt it would be very effective though and it gets rather irritating when doing pistops at Rockingham. Frighteningly though a lot of the ovals (including Daytona I think) have no other barrier, so cars and mechanics in the pits have nothing but a bit of grass between them and the cars on the track. I think in the states on all ovals and most (if not all) the road courses they do not have a conventional European pitwall with people standing on it.
Quote from sil3ntwar :No point watching Dixon is going to clean up

Sorry, but you'll find it's Dario who will be 'cleaning up' I do hope it rains again like the last time he won, and that Ashly is wearing a nice summer dress...:lovies:
Doornbos will be the one cleaning up :P he's way back on the grid.. so when the others in front crash each other he'll drive around the mess and take the win

Well.. probably not.. but i can dream right?

Anyway.. I don't have a clue on the streaming of the race.. maybe you can check the website of the American channel that will be broadcasting the race? (don't know which... )
Which wall are we b*tching about now? The one that separates the track from pit road, or the one that separates the pits from the garage area?

The outer wall is plenty high. Typically the same height as the wall on the oside of the track. The inner wall is high enough to protect the crews while being easy enough for the crews to jump over. All professional tracks in the US have a wall to separate pit road from the crew and the rest of the infield. I know for a fact that the one at Watkins Glen is high enough. Having stood behind it, stood on it, and sat on it I can say that I felt safe during a Grand Am (Motorola Cup at the time) race. Other tracks appear to have similar wall based on comparisons to what I have experience with.

Besides, the pit entrance at Indy is quite long. You have to slide for quite a while to end up amongst the pix boxes.

Heck, at Charlotte (which, IMO, is the more entertaining of the two US races this weekend), there is no wall to separate the track from the pits. Yes, cars have ended up wrecking on the front straight and hit pit road wall. But hey, we are supposed to be grown up, tough, men. Right? We can handle a little danger and take the proper steps to protect ourselves.

Perhaps Americans just handle the risks associated with racing a bit different than others around the world. Racing is dangerous for everyone (drivers, crew, fans, press, hotdog vendors, etc). You'd have to be a bit dense to not pay attention to what might be coming at you. Then again, stupid people inhabit every corner of the globe. lol

BTW, I won't be watching any racing this weekend. I have no TV and no interest in going out just to watch a race, LOL.
Quote from PAracer :Which wall are we b*tching about now? The one that separates the track from pit road, or the one that separates the pits from the garage area?

The one you can see at the start of this video (separating the track from the pitlane). It's about the same height at the car's tyres.
Quote from PAracer :Perhaps Americans just handle the risks associated with racing a bit different than others around the world. Racing is dangerous for everyone (drivers, crew, fans, press, hotdog vendors, etc). You'd have to be a bit dense to not pay attention to what might be coming at you. Then again, stupid people inhabit every corner of the globe. lol

While I agree with the bulk of your post, this is pretty retarded. And flamebait to boot!
Quote from PAracer :Perhaps Americans just handle the risks associated with racing a bit different than others around the world. Racing is dangerous for everyone (drivers, crew, fans, press, hotdog vendors, etc). You'd have to be a bit dense to not pay attention to what might be coming at you. Then again, stupid people inhabit every corner of the globe. lol

I missed this part of your post when I read it initially (I had just woken up at the time). You seem to be saying this wall is safe because people in pitlane should be able to see any cars that may come flying towards them. What about the people who are busy changing tyres or refuelling? Even if you could see a car flying towards you at 200mph, how far do you think you could move to evade it?
#17 - 5haz
Thing is, Charlotte and Indianapolis are two completely different tracks, Charlotte (or Lowes if you want) has a great big tri-oval, and so there is a big area of grass between the pit lane and the track, the way the track is laid out means its rare for a car to head off in the direction of the pitlane, at Indy there is no tri oval, the track is right next to the pitlane.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at Indy they dont tend to stand on the pit wall with pit boards do they?

As for PA, please do not feed the troll, you'd better be careful or he might launch into a prepared speech about how brilliant America is, that all Americans seem to be able to recite off by heart.
#19 - 5haz
:doh:

Thanks for the linkage.
Whoa! Big hit for Kanan.
ahh. Too much fun. We're not getting anywhere. No use in restating what has been said. I will make my exit...... now.

Quote :As for PA, please do not feed the troll, you'd better be careful or he might launch into a prepared speech about how brilliant America is, that all Americans seem to be able to recite off by heart.

I believe I shall...
America, F*ck yeah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXsTjBMuBmo
wtf Sky Sports doesnt show the replays, they overlay some shitty pit cam instead, pissin me off
Poor Kannan, I always wanted him to win this thing .
#24 - 5haz
Nasty crash between Meira and Matos

Indy 500
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG