The online racing simulator
Ubuntu its good or bad ?
(34 posts, started )
WINE Is Not an Emulator. And LFS runs just fine, you may be lacking FFB if you use a wheel, however.
Quote from teedot : OpenOffice runs on Linux (and comes with Ubuntu if i'm not mistaken..) which is completely interoperable with Microsoft Office (Opens & Saves to/from MS Office file formats)

Sorry for OT but what teedot said there interests me.

I have just downloaded open office 3 and i cannot for the life of me get it to open a few .WPS files that i have.

I have tried to open them but all i get is some filter selection list when i try and open the files of which there are loads of options, and i have tried all microsoft related ones as i know they are works files, and they either don't open, or just show loads and loads of random weird characters that goes on for pages and pages, which im guessing is some kind of character representation of what i am trying to view.

Any ideas??

/end OT
#28 - CSU1
Quote from JohnUK89 :WINE Is Not an Emulator. And LFS runs just fine, you may be lacking FFB if you use a wheel, however.

For me LFS runs at one quarter of the FPS run in Windows(4FPS)

WINE itself may not, but what about all of the lighting and shadow trickery that goes on that was built to run under ms? it's one quarter of ms in gaming. Crap(for me)

A wheel I think I've seen a hardly used G25 knocking around the house somewhere...*me can't wait to driven in LFS again, it's been ages*
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Because you can simply put your own RAM in instead of paying that price.

But then again, you have a nice white box, that does everything better than a shit PC, so why pay 300$ for a shitbox, when you could pay 1300 for a box of bliss.

But I'll excuse you for this this time Teedot, Just please next time do some research before spouting off. Nobody likes a fanboy.

Theres no sense in your txt. Mac sux, and im not fanboyng atm.
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Bob Smith : enough...
Wow, bunch of people calling eachother fanboys, its like I went back to grade school or something.

@teedot.

Please don't talk like you know what computers I have used, simple thing is, you don't.

I've been using and even building and repairing computers since they hooked up to television sets. I'm talking early Commodore systems. Tapes are as old school as it gets. Hard drive? What hard drive?

Windows may not be the greatest, but for someone who wants to game, if they've been using windows for a long time, it will save them alot of trouble if they stick to the OS they know.

My experiance with Ubuntu was just a way of stating that going to Linux isn't going to be as trouble free as people make it sound, even if you know the OS decently well. There will always be problems with a computer that you are going to have to solve. Personaly, I haven't had a problem with Windows XP for nearly three years. NOT ONE.

However, I know how to optimize and bug proof Windows XP alot better than I do Linux. If it where the other way around I'm sure I would have found linux easier to use. The OP has one major dissadvantage, He hasn't used Linux before at all, so he is going to find it confusing and run into trouble. If he wants ease of use and easy gaming, at this point it would be better for him to stick with windows if that is what he has been using for a long time.

The exact same goes for Mac, I don't like Macs, but I won't say they are crap. I've used quite a fue Mac computers before, And I found that they can infact have just as many problems with inexperianced users. Every OS has one main potential problem, The Person using it.

If windows seems like it sucks, YOU are doing something wrong.
If linux seems like it sucks, YOU are doing something wrong.
If OSX seems like it sucks, YOU are doing something wrong.

It's realy that simple. An OS will only be as good as the person using it.
Yay, a OS -war thread..

I use mac for websurfing and music, linux for ssh and file server, Windows for gaming. I see no problem?
Quote from Not Sure :Yay, a OS -war thread..

I use mac for websurfing and music, linux for ssh and file server, Windows for gaming. I see no problem?

And again your name makes me lol
Ubuntu its good or bad ?
by Not Sure

Ontopic: every OS has its good and bad sides. Dawesdust, please, grow up. And don't call Steve a god next time.
im sure ubuntu works fine, i'm gonna try it sometime soon have been think about that for like 4 months now. but never got around to install it..

Like "not sure" says above "shadowww": different OS's have their own weaknesses (he didnt say that, but thats how i translates it), and i would, NEVER, use my mac to play games. as it wont run half of the games i own (and the other half of the games i will never try on a mac anyway)..
linux is a great platform if u wanna test, and learn new things sure. but i would never use that for games either..

so for me Windows is the only option when playing games..

pls call me fanboy, narrowminded or whatever.. im not the one trying to "sell my shit to others".

OT: Just install ubuntu, try it out, if it doesnt work, re-install windows and be happy
Quote from DragonCommando :My experiance with Ubuntu was just a way of stating that going to Linux isn't going to be as trouble free as people make it sound, even if you know the OS decently well. There will always be problems with a computer that you are going to have to solve.

from my experiecne with ubuntu the underlying problem is that it assumes
1) that ill be fine with the programs it preinstalls
2) that ill only ever install the things the simple package manager offers
3) that im not at all interested in having a say what gets installed
4) that im not interested in compiling anything (which imho is the whole point of running linux and a linux that doesnt come with gcc preinstalled is quite pointless if you ask me)
5) that i wont do any real configuration and am fine with the very limited tools the system menu offers
6) and this is by far the most troublesome in my experience: that im using a tft (giving me a nonexisting range of choices between 60hz and 60hz doesnt suffice)

my requirements for linux are the exact opposite of these though making ubuntu one of the worst possible choices

Quote from Not Sure :linux for ssh

personally i use putty and either xming exceed or vnc quite a bit at work to offload processes to linux and solaris boxes all of which work quite well for what intend to do with them (vnc being the safest as it doesnt rely on your computer running trouble free which is hard to impossible to guarantee on a box that runs at 100% cpu and ram most of the time)

Ubuntu its good or bad ?
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG