The online racing simulator
Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
I see...So it would actually fit into the "useless" category of rice parts? Fire away then, apologies (For the record, everything in my car except the hubcaps are standard. And they were nicked off a higher-spec version )
Jakqui: if I were you I'd keep it stock. It's a Proton and it will always be a Proton. Spending money on 'performance' tweaks would be a waste, to be honest.
Get a nice set of alloys, some decent speakers and your sorted!
Quote from 5haz :The noise makes it all worthwhile.

I agree. If you don't have to pay for the fuel.

American petrol is shit so you cannot compare, irrespective. Autocar magazine quotes 28.2 COMBINED for the S2000 and 24 on the extra-urban for the C6 (which is motorways, cruising etc).
Quote from tristancliffe :Heatsoak is important in road cars that sit in traffic jams getting hot, but not in race cars.

isnt it a bit of an issue with extended safety car periods?
I'd reckon the speed that cars move at under the safety car is still enough for reasonable cooling.
not always
the last gp2 feature race was pretty bad as far as cooling is concerned
Quote from tristancliffe :Nobody in racing cars about how they run in heatsoak conditions (except maybe F1) because everything is kept cool by the car moving. Heatsoak is important in road cars that sit in traffic jams getting hot, but not in race cars.

And nobody in racing using a K&N road filter available off the shelf - they are too restrictive for racing. Thus making them the domain of people trying to tune their cars up unsuccessfully = rice!

I believe they are less restrictive than the OE fitment filter so therefore you most certainly gain more than you lose. At the very least they have a lifetime warranty and never need replacing.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I believe they are less restrictive than the OE fitment filter so therefore you most certainly gain more than you lose. At the very least they have a lifetime warranty and never need replacing.

That's the idea/marketing pitch. I had a K&N I got for a fiver from a scrappy, obv made no noticeable difference apart from a bit of noise. Took it off in the end as it was just flapping around willy nilly in the engine bay.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
American petrol is shit so you cannot compare, irrespective. Autocar magazine quotes 28.2 COMBINED for the S2000 and 24 on the extra-urban for the C6 (which is motorways, cruising etc).

You can't make a comparison between two different units, irrespective of what the fuel in the American test may have been it is the only fair comparison.
Just put some sound in it and off you go. You'll enjoy it yourself.
Quote from Shotglass :not always
the last gp2 feature race was pretty bad as far as cooling is concerned

Depends on the car I guess, perhaps also forced induction engines have more of a problem, with all that extra heat generated.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I believe they are less restrictive than the OE fitment filter so therefore you most certainly gain more than you lose. At the very least they have a lifetime warranty and never need replacing.

They are less restrictive because the mesh is more pours and let more shit into the engine, not through good design. And the oil you need to clean them costs the same as a new air filter. So what money are you saving?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :They are less restrictive because the mesh is more pours and let more shit into the engine, not through good design. And the oil you need to clean them costs the same as a new air filter. So what money are you saving?

your not saving any...

i drove to Bray ( just south of dublin ) on 20 euro worth of petrol in a 1.3 glanza without a filter... few weeks later done the same with the filter on it... ran out of fuel before making it to the motorway...

normally it takes me 30 mins from the city center to get their...

Darn ricer mobiles.
Quote from theirishnoob :your not saving any...

i drove to Bray ( just south of dublin ) on 20 euro worth of petrol in a 1.3 glanza without a filter... few weeks later done the same with the filter on it... ran out of fuel before making it to the motorway...

normally it takes me 30 mins from the city center to get their...

Darn ricer mobiles.

Sure and now you have an engine full of shit which will cost even more money to fix, you have a filter for a reason, it keeps dust out of your engine which means it lives longer. If you're building a race car then engine longevity isn't such an issue, for a road car, it'll write off the car way before it's prime.

It is a false economy, you get small gains for a huge price.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :They are less restrictive because the mesh is more pours and let more shit into the engine, not through good design. And the oil you need to clean them costs the same as a new air filter. So what money are you saving?

Meh. Sitll, it's cool to say at the pub.
Quote from BAMBO :In terms of performance I suggest you just buy it a performance air filter because from what I know, it won't affect your insurance.

Sorry to necropost, but a £50 K&N air-filter seems bloody expensive - obviously all the guys on the proton owners club say it's better than sex itself and it magically gains 500 hp, but tbh I trust your opinions more.

Is it worth it - and what sort of improvements does it give (not JUST performance!), and how hard is it to fit?
Not hard, about 20minutes maybe and all you need is a screw driver if i remember.
No it's not worth £50. If you want to make more noise get a drill and put holes in your airbox.
Nope, not worth it. HP increase will be measuring using a nano-dynomometer, and you'll have to fork out for the cleaning kits (oils etc) every so often, which probably costs more than a normal air filter.

You are talking about a replacement K&N filter that goes in your airbox, as opposed to a cold air intake thingy (which will cost more to buy, the same to 'clean' and maybe give you 1hp on a hot day.
Your car isn't even worth £50.. :doh:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Your car isn't even worth £50.. :doh:

It's worth £700-£800 (or, if eBay classified ads are anything to go by, £1755... :really
Well all you seem to do is want to waste money on a, frankly, rubbish car, with "mods" that do nothing but make you sound cool when you write them in your sig on an owners forum!
Aren't most racing filters foam?
Yes. What's your point?

Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG