The online racing simulator
Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
Interesting cars to buy?
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a new car. The only question is... what should it be?

So far i've been thinking of two cars in particular:

- 2nd gen MX-5 (1.8L version), had one a few years ago and loved it.
- Honda S2000 (around year 2000/2001), love the looks, downside is a not so good powerband.

I'm looking for something not too heavy, RWD, sporty handling, fun to drive, reliable and not older than 10 years. Main criteria is really that it should be an honest car with good handling and not weigh two tonnes. I'm not looking for a limousine with a high powered engine... so please don't say Audi S3 or something like that. It should be a sporty car, not a car with a sporty engine.

To me it seems like there aren't many options when looking for a car along those lines. But maybe i forgot something? Suggestions very welcome!
OFFTOPIC

What's so good in Mazda MX?
Quote from PioneerLv :OFFTOPIC

What's so good in Mazda MX?

I take it you've never driven one before? Read some reviews... it's a great little car.
It makes you a hit with the ladies and they love how their hair looks after they see you.
Apparently the S2000 is slightly mental. And lairy in the wet.

My older brother's friend has spun his in the wet.
#6 - 5haz
Toyota MR2?

I wonder how much older Lotus Elises are going for nowadays, although being Lotus they're likely to be Lots of Trouble, Usually Serious.
Quote from DTrott :Apparently the S2000 is slightly mental. And lairy in the wet.

I've got some experience with RWD cars in the wet/snow. I think i could be careful enough. I've heard it before tho, that an S2000 can be quite hard to handle when going past its limits.

Quote from 5haz :Toyota MR2?

I wonder how much older Lotus Elises are going for nowadays, although being Lotus they're likely to be Lots of Trouble, Usually Serious.

While i'm sure they are very nice little cars, i simply don't like them.
And regarding the Lotus... well, i plan on using the car as my daily driver, so no.
vauxhall vx220? they look as sexy as hell
Rx7.

Rotary power!(or lack of)
If it has to be less than 10 years old and practical I'd look at a 350Z or Chrysler Crossfire, nice attractive cars although a bit bloated.
whats your budget. if its high you could get the new nissan 370z you could get a caterham or westfield something along them lines
My budget is not too high. A new 370Z is definately more than i could afford. An older S2000 is pretty much the top end of what i want to spend.

I was thinking about a 350Z, but they are heavy.

And about the Caterham... umm... as i said, it should be a daily driver, not a track car.
Quote from brt900 :you could get a caterham or westfield something along them lines

Caterham or Westfield as a daily driver?!

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, too slow... move along.
I know people who switched from MX-5s to S2000s and then returned to the MX-5 but got hold of a turbo instead. You keep the insanely enjoyable MX-5 handling but also negate the lack of power.

So I'd look for a supercharged or turbo'd MX-5 - you just can't go wrong, especially on Swiss roads!
if money is a issue i think mx5's are cheaper then a S2000 personaly id go a S2000 but im quite susprised how fast mx5's are around the track
i know someone who uses a caterham as a daily drive
Quote from durbster :I know people who switched from MX-5s to S2000s and then returned to the MX-5 but got hold of a turbo instead. You keep the insanely enjoyable MX-5 handling but also negate the lack of power.

So I'd look for a supercharged or turbo'd MX-5 - you just can't go wrong, especially on Swiss roads!

They are hard to find in switzerland. There's plenty of MX-5 around, but not supercharged, and especially not turboed. If i would want that, i'd have to pay for a kit myself. If i add the price of that to the car itself, i'm at the price of an S2000 again. And to be honest, the S2000 is a gorgeous looking car (IMO). Another thing is that i don't like the idea of a tuned car... i'd definately prefer it to be stock.

I know how well an MX-5 does handle (damn well). I've never driven an S2000 before, and i'll make sure to do that before i'll seriously consider buying one.

Quote from brt900 :i know someone who uses a caterham as a daily drive

My condolences to him.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with that.

A caterham as a daily driver is not acceptable. It rains quite a lot in switzerland, and i don't feel like wearing a raincoat and a helmet every other morning when i drive to work. Does that make any sense for you?
Quote from ajp71 :If it has to be less than 10 years old and practical I'd look at a 350Z or Chrysler Crossfire, nice attractive cars although a bit bloated.

LOL? You keep going on about how cars are shit to drive and then you suggest the Chrysler Crossfire. LOL.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :LOL? You keep going on about how cars are shit to drive and then you suggest the Chrysler Crossfire. LOL.

I didn't want to say something...
Quote from DTrott :Apparently the S2000 is slightly mental. And lairy in the wet.

they are stupidly good cars... by which i mean, the mx-5 is good but the s2000...

one of the very cars that Will scare you when you put the foot down firmly...

also hows an mx-5 interesting ?? a brilliant car but their like penises, every dude has one...

diahatsu coupen would be differant
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Nissan Pulsar GTiR

I only want to get that because it's like the car on LFS
Quote from S14 DRIFT :LOL? You keep going on about how cars are shit to drive and then you suggest the Chrysler Crossfire. LOL.

It should be reasonably competent given that it is an SLK underneath (but a lot more attractive), what else in the last 10 years has been produced that is front engined, closed roof or folding hardtop/electric convertable (I assume that is a pre-requisite of being practical) that is less overweight whilst still being interesting?

I'm not saying I would ever buy any of them or anything produced in the last 10 years if you gave me the cash though
The previous SLK (which is what it's based on) was widely known as a terrible car to drive. And the Crossfire is even worse.. And you think the Crossfire is good looking? This gets better. And it's a lardy arse of a car. It weighs 1500kgs dry.. wet with some fuel you're looking at closer to 1700kg.

Strangely enough a Honda S2000 fits that set of requirements, you can get a removable metal roof to cover the fabric one.

Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG