The online racing simulator
Swine Flu
(478 posts, started )
Sigh, I'm here in front of the computer, eating Mini Wheats; I haven't checked the news today so far, so I don't know how many more cases have shown up, but something tells me the death toll probably is over 200 in Mexico. I've heard Pres. Obama's conference yesterday, and something tells me that if it keeps going like this, schools are going to be close, people will get off the streets, and everybody will wear masks. It's hard for me to imagine such a thing, I've not lived through a pandemic episode, or even through any kind of event that can get people off the streets (war, etc).

I think I'm going to check my Mini Wheats box to make sure they're not made in Mexico.
Lol,
Apparently i heard a school that someone in devon, UK has it
Ah well, Its kinda like what happened with birdflu, although more people have died ( i think )
Dan
Well lets hope its not another 1918 or we are all f00ked.
It wont be long before people are running round the streets with breathing apparatus on, people just shit emselves over this sort of thing.

The scale of this thing is already noticeable for me at work......

We sell breathing masks for working on building sites when materials are being cut, paints and solvent based products are being used, etc...

We put our usual weekly order on today with the suppliers where all our safety equipment comes from and we recieved a fax back a short while later saying the following.....

"The following items are currently out of stock and will be held on backorder and despatched as soon as possible."

*FFP1 mask (pk.5)

*FFP2 mask (pk.5)

*FFP3 mask (pk.5)

In the 6 years i have worked for the company i have NEVER seen any of these things go out of stock from this supplier before.

Could it be a coinsidence, i think not.
Quote from danowat :The cynic in my tells me that the leaders of the world are using this as a smokescreen for something else, but what, I don't know, but I do know this.......

could you possibly be any more paranoid?
first you believed its a serious pandemic and just 2 days later is some diversion probably initiated by the illuminati the nsa and nambla
It's actually a plot devised by the LFS devs to cover up the lack of new patches.
Nambla...

By the way. I was playing the game posted earlier in this thread. Pandemic II. And the funny thing is... Madagascar behaves just like "SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!" in that game.
I think it's entirely possible that a government released swine flu with the purpose of killing people. It is possible, but not at all likely. Just because something is possible doesn't mean that it's likely.
Quote from jibber :Nambla...

By the way. I was playing the game posted earlier in this thread. Pandemic II. And the funny thing is... Madagascar behaves just like "SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!" in that game.

I have managed to wipe out Brazil, India, Middle East, Russia, China and Northern Africa. Everyone else has just shut down all their borders and ports and is letting them die while they make a vaccine.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I have managed to wipe out Brazil, India, Middle East, Russia, China and Northern Africa. Everyone else has just shut down all their borders and ports and is letting them die while they make a vaccine.

I've managed to whipe out all of them. Except Madagascar!

One time i've named my virus "Madagascar Bug", and oddly enough, the virus first showed up in Madagascar... however, they quickly closed their shipyard, so the virus unfortunately had no chance to get to the other countries anymore.

To prevent most countries from shutting down, you have to keep the visibility to a minimum as long as possible. Madagascar always seems to know something's comming their way tho...

*does appologize for going offtopic*
It's just happened to me, I infected every single country but Madagascar closed their port the moment a few countries got infected. I called my disease Face Aids, got the active hospitals down to 1, but there is no way of getting bloody Madagascar now.

If you look at the high scores, Epic Swine Flu is in 2nd place today.
their pres is getting rid of all pigs on the island as we speak
On Pandemic 2 Miley Cyrus is the 23rd all time most deadly Pandemic, before you ask, G.W.Bush is 16th. I'm seriously thinking of moving to Madagascar though, I could live with King Julian.
I've been trying this Pandemic 2 game and I somehow keep failing.. hints please.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I've been trying this Pandemic 2 game and I somehow keep failing.. hints please.

Focus of a high level of infectivity and low visibility. The key is to infect every country before it's noticed, at that point you just need to make it drug resistant so the vaccine is delayed long enough for you to force hospitals to shut down.
The first people in the UK who contracted have left hospital for peeps info. Also one woman who is infected is quoted as sayin

"I've had worse Flu than this"
Contradicted?
I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion by the media.

Me and my friends are planning a Swine Flu BBQ this weekend, only pork allowed on the grill. And we're going to wear those masks while we cook...can't be too safe.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Focus of a high level of infectivity and low visibility. The key is to infect every country before it's noticed, at that point you just need to make it drug resistant so the vaccine is delayed long enough for you to force hospitals to shut down.

Hmm, trying some new things out, ta.
Hmm, I have the sudden urge to go wallow in mud. Maybe I have the flu.

But seriously, anyone who is overly worried (as in worried more about this than any other flu) needs to just sit a sealed room. Just remember what happened with the Swine flu "outbreak" in the 70's. Way more people died from the vaccine than the actual flu. There are a hell of a lot of things more likely to kill you.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I've been trying this Pandemic 2 game and I somehow keep failing.. hints please.

Aim for low fatality and low detection/visibility until in all areas, then ramp that virus up big style and takeout everyone, leaving no one behind.
Regarding Pandemic II once more...

I've managed to win two times now! Only 156000 points however...

Spoiler:
I played on relaxed mode, with a virus. I've restarted the game until the virus started in Madagascar. When the game starts, immediately sell all symptoms of your disease. Buy level 1 cold, heat and moisture resistance, but not drug resistance. Buy nothing else and wait. Out of about four times, two times all countries were infected.

EDIT: How lonely can you get?
Quote from speed1 :
Just remember what happened with the Swine flu "outbreak" in the 70's. Way more people died from the vaccine than the actual flu. There are a hell of a lot of things more likely to kill you.

wait, what? got any more information on this?
Quote from mookie427 :wait, what? got any more information on this?

I know its far from the most reliable source mook but here goes....

Quote from the wikipedia people :1976 U.S. outbreak

On February 5, 1976, an army recruit at Fort Dix said he felt tired and weak. He died the next day and four of his fellow soldiers were later hospitalized. Two weeks after his death, health officials announced that swine flu was the cause of death and that this strain of flu appeared to be closely related to the strain involved in the 1918 flu pandemic. Alarmed public-health officials decided that action must be taken to head off another major pandemic, and they urged President Gerald Ford that every person in the U.S. be vaccinated for the disease.[49]

President Ford receives swine flu vaccination
However, the vaccination program was plagued by delays and public relations problems.[50] But on October 1, 1976, the immunization program began and by October 11, approximately 40 million people, or about 24% of the population, had received swine flu immunizations. That same day, three senior citizens died soon after receiving their swine flu shots and there was a media outcry linking the deaths to the immunizations, despite the lack of positive proof. According to science writer Patrick Di Justo, however, by the time the truth was known — that the deaths were not proven to be related to the vaccine — it was too late. "The government had long feared mass panic about swine flu — now they feared mass panic about the swine flu vaccinations." This became a strong setback to the program.[15]
There were reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a paralyzing neuromuscular disorder, affecting some people who had received swine flu immunizations. This syndrome is a rare side-effect of modern influenza vaccines, with an incidence of about one case per million vaccinations.[51] As a result, Di Justo writes that "the public refused to trust a government-operated health program that killed old people and crippled young people." In total, less than 33 percent of the population had been immunized by the end of 1976. The National Influenza Immunization Program was effectively halted on Dec. 16.
Overall, about 500 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, which, according to Dr. P. Haber, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the 1976 vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to GBS, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS.[52][53] Still, as observed by a participant in the immunization program, the vaccine killed more Americans than the disease did.[54]

Swine Flu
(478 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG