The online racing simulator
Scirocco road test + photos
(20 posts, started )
#1 - smove
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure to test drive the new Scirocco ("just" the 1.4 litre 160 bhp version though) and therefore want to share this experience with you, even if this is going to be a rather emotional than technical review.

In my view the most fun part of the car is the chassis, being convenient enough for cruising the highways and rolling across cobblestone but that will show its claws if you drive it a bit quicker around corners - which it does very well! The steering wheel requires a bit more force to be turned than the most "normal" compact cars of today, what I consider as an advantage and more secure. If you're driving around corners quickly you get the feeling the car still pulls to the inside of the corner, suggesting there's enough room left to the car's limit - or I simply wasn't fast enough, always driving carefully and reasonably of course.

The first thing I noticed sitting behind the steering wheel was the comparatively tiny inside mirror, a fact becoming consequential after turning around: The rear window just wasn't any bigger! :doh:
The dashboard is pretty much the same as in the VW Eos, which is not bad, but not really exciting either. I encountered the problem that, when shifting gears quickly and steering at the same time, the shifting hand may strike against the climate control knob and adjust it unintentionally. This happened several times. But I must say, I adore the inner door handles a lot. Btw., the seats are comfy, afford a lot of hold, and - nobody may have expected this - there is enough room for another 1,90-metre-bloke like me in the back! For the trunk: Uhm, yes, you get a travelling bag in, maybe even two of them.

Well, for the drivetrain - or all the things that make the car go at last: When driving across the german country road in a sportive kind of way I noticed driving constantly in second and third gear. Here the difference to my daily diesel-ride becomes obvious: The Scirocco needs to be revved; the maximum torque seems to be pending between 4,500 and 6,000 revs. I know there are a lot of cars revving even higher, but, compared to my 1,9 litre TDI, this already is a higher sphere for me. And - another comparison - the turbo lag is way less existant than in my diesel; the engine provides enough power in every situation.
For the next test I had to take it to the autobahn (being quite empty fortunately): top speed! I drove some kilometres in one direction, turned-over and drove the opposite direction again to max out the car at 200, 220 km/h respectively, so I claim the real peak speed lies somewhere in-between, let me guess ... 210 km/h? At this level of speed you really start to notice the tiny size of the engine I initially thought. In sixth gear it literally took ages to gain speed above 140 km/h - this is where my diesel gets the point. But then, after shifting back to fifth, I was quite astonished reaching top speed again in a much shorter time, leading me to the conclusion that sixth gear is designed as a kind of cruising gear. I really didn't expect that of a hot hatch like this!

Well, for the mileage ... I have to be honest: I didn't really give attention to it; if I remember correctly, the consumption was somewhere around 10 litres per 100 km, all kinds of driving involved (quick country road driving, city driving and a fast autobahn ride). I'm sure the value can be lowered a lot because you just not *have* to drive across country roads in second gear and floor the pedal on the autobahn.

Okay, what's missing? Oh yes, the sound. Imagine a four cylinder, 1.4 litre engine. With a turbo. That's it. You can't really expect more.

In conclusion I can say it's a really fun car to drive, and it even can be used to carry four persons in a convenient way (you need another Scirocco for the baggage though). I really love its style, and if I would buy one, it would be viper green. It's a shame that most Sciroccos on the road are black, grey or white - this car definitely needs a flashy colour!

As a young man loving to drive, with a lovely fiancée loving to drive as well I'd love to buy this car, and I'd even let myself be seduced by the 200 bhp version - not without another test drive, of course. But as a down-to-earth German with appreciation for practicability and efficiency - that's me as well - I think I'll stay with my spicy red A4 Avant - S-Line chassis, of course.
Attached images
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4659.jpg
IMG_4664.jpg
IMG_4673.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4679.jpg
IMG_4687.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg
#2 - smove
And here some views following that might be of interest for LFS users ...
Attached images
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4637.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg
nice little test drive review, looking at the pics im starting to like the scriocco as a car(regardless of lfs) even more
#4 - Byku
Nice one mate... now go to the Nurbur.. ehm... You know! THE TRACK!
Great photo's love the car tbh Nice colour aswell
The car is really beautiful, I even would buy one as a daily if I had the money.
Also nice story/"review"
#7 - smove
Thanks for the comments! - I just couldn't resist to do the following.
Attached images
IMG_4635_comparison.jpg
IMG_4637_comparison.jpg
IMG_4640_comparison.jpg
Wow!

LFS version is spot-on
Beautiful car and beautiful pictures

Just a note on the turbo lag, these new VW TSI's have a supercharger and a turbo strapped onto them, supercharger kicks in while the turbo spools up, crazy....

The car is stunning on the road too, though i've allready been in the situation where i've had to brake rather heavily for one pulling out infront of me, clearly paying to much attention to the lovely dash board...
lol yh the dash is very nice, and lfs is very acurate, thats what comes of eric + coperation(sp) from vw
I hope the version of LFS will be the luxury version, with the RNS 510 GPS DVD TOUCH pack, multifunctional steeringwheel and rain/light sensor.
The LFS model indeed seems quite accurate. I guess it was a requirement VW asked for. The FBW is also pretty accurate, it's just that people don't really know the real thing, so it's harder to notice wrong things.

There's one other thing I note from those comparison pictures, though. The lightning in LFS is really a big issue. Look at the dash in LFS and IRL, there's really a huge lightning difference.
Quote from boosterfire :There's one other thing I note from those comparison pictures, though. The lightning in LFS is really a big issue. Look at the dash in LFS and IRL, there's really a huge lightning difference.

If you go that route, take note of the sky in both images as well. You can see in the photograph that the camera was metering the inside of the vehicle, thus the interior is correctly exposed and the sky is blown out way too bright. In the image from the CMX viewer, the sky is a beautiful blue with a proper exposure, had this been a photograph by a camera, and the interior of the car is dark or underexposed. It is depicted exactly how it should be to be "photorealistic."

Of course, the eye doesn't exactly work that way as we have a far greater dynamic range than a camera does, but comparing the two images, it is exactly how I would expect it to be.

LFS screenshot Image adjusted (rough levels adjustment in Photoshop) to match exposure of the outside environment to the photographed image....

That looks awesome!

Just cant wait for it ...
Quote from mrodgers :Quite some knowledge

You are absolutely right, though the photograph was manipulated a lot: In the original picture the inside of the car was way darker, whereas the outside was a lot brighter. I did quite some editing here.

But I don't think boosterfire means the way LFS does the "exposure" that you've described very well, but how light and shadow are drawn generally: in a way to soft manner. There are nearly no hard shadows visible (maybe under the car, admittedly) and only slightly visible sun & shadow changes from within the cockpit. But take a drive along an alley when the sun is shining: It darkens and brightens and darkens and brightens again in such a fast and strong way that your eyes get tired after some minutes or even seconds. I think GT4 might be the benchmark there from what I have seen. Another problem may be the glass pane in front of the main display with its absolutely needless reflections - car makers choose the angle of this pane exactly to avoid this effect.

So yes, lighting needs improvements, but first things first.
#16 - Byku
Damn, can't wait for it . Yeah it's fwd, yeah it's not even faster than TBO but like my grandma used to say: "EVERY CAR IS FUN... except those which land on the roof in the corner, or burst into flames without any reason".

Edit. Omg... definitly wrong thread .
Quote from Byku :Damn, can't wait for it . Yeah it's fwd, yeah it's not even faster than TBO but like my grandma used to say: "EVERY CAR IS FUN... except those which land on the roof in the corner, or burst into flames without any reason".

Edit. Omg... definitly wrong thread .

Ur text matches very fine with this thread ...
Nice photos.
#19 - Byku
Quote from hazaky :Ur text matches very fine with this thread ...

Not really, it was in a rather "where is my Scirocco General Discusion" tone . But still, very nice photos Smove!
Awesome photos! And i love the Scirocco, way better looking than the new Golf.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG