The online racing simulator
Getting rolled on Blackwood T2/3 with FBMW
Before I plump for an S2 license I want to be competitive at mid-level (or I chance wasting my money by being crap and not enjoying the game). I'd like to set a 1.15 in the FBMW on blackwood but I'm stuck at 1.18.

My biggest time loss are turns 2/3- the chicane right after turn 1. I see good drivers can go flat out and take both curbs but:

1. If I apply even the tiniest bit of throttle on the middle apex on the curb I spin

2. If I slow to avoid the apex curb I don't carry enough speed down the long straight

3. Because I have to avoid the apex curb I don't have a good enough line to take the exit curb (good drivers seem to take a huge amount of curb- and grass!- here).

My big problem is absolutely zero confidence riding a curb- applying throttle and/or steering and I know I'll spin yet other drivers seem to be able to do it. I've tried the default setup, the default hardroad setup and the WR holder's setup (which has even more oversteer-leading-to-spin-on-curbs).

All of the above applies to the last turn (the left hander most take in 4th gear leading to the start grid) for me too. Good drivers take the curb on the apex but if I do- even when not using throttle- I spin.

Playing with a DFGT.
#2 - Myw
Personally, for the curbs, I have to catch the back end early. Try to counter-steer as soon as the back and comes out. However, don't overdo it as you'll lose too much time.
You should'nt ride the kerbs. You want to follow the white line and hit the Apex on each one. If you ride the kerb and get one of the rear wheels, then its gonna spin you out due to the diff opening, so its almost as if your backing off extremely hard, which spins you.
I had same prob. Then I tried this set someone sent to me and 1:16.010 without trying too much on 15% fuel. G25

Try using the racing line (Press key 4) you might get a smoother run that way.
Attached files
FBM_RACE_blackwood.set - 132 B - 878 views
Hit numbers 1 or 2 and save a replay of your lap. 1.18 seems extremely slow...no offence intended.
Thanks for the help, I've hit 1.16 now. If I can consistantly get down to 1.15 I think this is a purchase.
lfs win!
Quote from jelston :Thanks for the help, I've hit 1.16 now. If I can consistantly get down to 1.15 I think this is a purchase.

Your call... but you already sound like an addict

Give the other cars a go, changeing your point of view may help you - focusing hard on a single car / track combination will slow down your progress.
Regarding S2: the reverse configuration of this track, BL1R, is more interesting to drive (in my opinion) with off camber curves and the damn dangerous downhill braking. Try it offline!
#9 - amp88
Just on a sideonte: I have not ever regreted buying LfS even though I am far from being competitively quick.
same fun in lfs is nothing about being quick and everything about good racing, to me anyway
I occasionally flip on that curb too. It seems to all depend on the angle you hit it, not necessarily how much curb you use.

In addition to what other people have said, even just 1 extra turn of rear downforce can help a lot with this part of the track as well. You may lose a bit of top speed, but if you can be on the power earlier it sort of evens out.

Those WR/hotlap sets tend to have the minimum downforce possible, and often aren't the easiest to drive. I find a bit of extra downforce often helps a lot. I know I'm not going to be setting world record pace anyway, so for me the important thing is driveability.
Quote from sil3ntwar :Hit numbers 1 or 2 and save a replay of your lap. 1.18 seems extremely slow...no offence intended.

My PB FBMW @ BL1 is 1:17.76 as of December 2008. A WR holder would consder it slow, but a 1:15.xx PB dude wouldn't I think...
If you're using a wheel i can send you a setup that will let you go through wothout lifting the pedal.. Just PM me for it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG