The online racing simulator
Quote from JJ72 :alonso doing his dash for glory as usual

I don't see how when he is heavier than Barrichello and only 2 kg lighter than Button and Hamilton.

Trulli is quite impressive. Only 0.5 kg lighter than Barrichello in 6th.
F1 is getting so exciting, it's now impossible to know even which team will win, let alone which driver.

These are halcyon days.

I love this sport.
Quote from Jertje :In the first two qualifications of the seasons the Brawns were relatively heavy, and on pole by a good margin = supremely dominant.

Now they're in 4th and sorta mid-weight (expected) - that's not dominance by any means, so I don't see how my claim is bold. Even Button himself said that the advantage they had in the first two races is gone. We'll see tomorrow if their race-pace helps out, but unless strange things happen I don't expect a win, or dominant performance from the Brawns at all.

The weights are out and... I agree.
Mclaren have made a huge gain here, equal with brawns, Vettel is heaviest out of the top few as expected but good job by Trulli.
I'm glad the FIA publish the weights. Not because of the interest for me (it actually spoils the race a bit), but because more and more people are making claims about speed based on them, and showing their ignorance in the process.

People clearly can't distinguish between one lap race and race race, or see how a driver has got more out of his car than others, even if they are lighter etc etc.

Some people ought to keep quiet until they understand F1 or cars.

Oh, and incidentally, Hamilton was the stand out driver of the session for me - and I won't say that unless I meant it!
Quote from tristancliffe :Oh, and incidentally, Hamilton was the stand out driver of the session for me - and I won't say that unless I meant it!

We've both got egg on our face this year
Quote from mythdat :1. Jarno Trulli - Toyota - 648.5 kg
2. Timo Glock - Toyota - 643.0 kg
3. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull - 659.0 kg
4. Jenson Button - Brawn GP - 652.5 kg
5. Lewis Hamilton - McLaren - 652.5 kg
6. Rubens Barrichello - Brawn - GP 649.0 kg
7. Fernando Alonso - Renault - 650.5 kg
8. Felipe Massa - Ferrari - 664.5 kg
9. Nico Rosberg - Williams - 670.5 kg
10. Kimi Raikkonen - Ferrari - 671.5 kg
11. Heikki Kovalainen - McLaren - 678.5 kg
12. Kazuki Nakajima - Williams - 680.9 kg
13. Robert Kubica - BMW - 698.6 kg
14. Nick Heidfeld - BMW - 696.3 kg
15. Nelson Piquet - Renault - 677.6 kg
16. Adrian Sutil - Force India - 679.0 kg
17. Sebastien Buemi - Toro Rosso - 678.5 kg
18. Giancarlo Fisichella - Force India - 652.0 kg
19. Mark Webber - Red Bull - 656.0 kg
20. Sebastien Bourdais - Toro Rosso - 667.5 kg

As supposed, the Toyotas are the lightest cars on the pack...

PS: Can't wait for the race!
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm glad the FIA publish the weights. Not because of the interest for me (it actually spoils the race a bit), but because more and more people are making claims about speed based on them, and showing their ignorance in the process.

People clearly can't distinguish between one lap race and race race, or see how a driver has got more out of his car than others, even if they are lighter etc etc.

Some people ought to keep quiet until they understand F1 or cars.

Oh, and incidentally, Hamilton was the stand out driver of the session for me - and I won't say that unless I meant it!

All hail master Tristan! Noone is to speak of Motorsports without consulting with his highness first.

Edit: nah, but seriously, let's watch the race before we start calling people idiots for expressing opinions.
Quote from Becky Rose :We've both got egg on our face this year

You might redeem yourself if Toyota lock out the front in the race, just days after you tipped Trulli and Glock as the most skillful driver pairing on the grid. I've got Vettel down for a win, Button 2nd and Glock 3rd, but I would prefer Vettel win, Button 2nd and Alonso 3rd.
Too many early mornings! Be so glad when the season moves to Europe!

Hamilton did very well, but going off his last race, I fear that his tires aren't going to last. I suspect that he'll be quick in the first half of the race, and lose pace in the second half due to tire conservation. What this means in race conditions, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not sure that I understand the Renault tactics for free practice. They seemingly run an awful car until quali, at which point they return to their tried and tested setup and do really well. Well, Alsonso does at least.

What is going on with Piquet? Not sure that he's got long left in F1. Same goes for Bourdais.
A couple of thoughts...

BMW are mired in the middle of the pack. Why have they BOTH filled themselves to the gunnels with fuel? Surely it would have been better to have one light car and one heavy one to hedge their bets?

Button needs to get aggressive with Hamilton otherwise he'll just get blown away down to T1. If he gets behind the McLaren then he might get stuck and the front three will get away.

Vettel looks very strong. Amazing driver and a likeable personality - they can combine.

Webber will be Driver Of The Day. (Does Martin still do that?)
Quote from tristancliffe :...

I agree a bit, though I do like seeing the weights.
One thing I find brilliant about F1 is all the armchair engineers/strategists, thousands of people who think they know how everything in F1 works and all the minute details on every car. Yet how many of you actually know what the cars weigh empty?

Always take everything you read about F1 with a truckload of salt.
Quote from spookthehamster :I agree a bit, though I do like seeing the weights.
One thing I find brilliant about F1 is all the armchair engineers/strategists, thousands of people who think they know how everything in F1 works and all the minute details on every car. Yet how many of you actually know what the cars weigh empty?

Always take everything you read about F1 with a truckload of salt.

Of course, they all weigh exactly the same! Of course!!!

See the thing is, nobody apart from the teams know how much the cars really weigh with no fuel at all. We can make a good calculation, based on weight at the start of the race offset against the point they have their first pit stop, but even then they could pit with 6 laps in the tank.

I wonder how much race pace lap difference all the KERS crap makes. I'd wager that it's very close to the cusp of being useless.
Quote from dawguk :

...but even then they could pit with 6 laps in the tank.

I wonder how much race pace lap difference all the KERS crap makes. I'd wager that it's very close to the cusp of being useless.

Someone finally gets it
All the tracks that were touted as KERS tracks have been disappointing for KERS team so far (Malaysia and Shanghai). I think you're right not to expect much from KERS in Bahrain, even though it should theoretically be advantageous.

Does anyone think that there will be some massive T1 action between P4 to P11? There is an interesting mixture of oddly weighted KERS and non-KERS cars mixed in there.
Dont know why, but i have this feeling Hamilton will be knocked out, or will knock someone out in T1 or lap 1. Anyway, i wont do any predictions for this race as I am absolutely clueless. So many drivers could win
#92 - wild
Quote from DevilDare :Dont know why, but i have this feeling Hamilton will be knocked out, or will knock someone out in T1 or lap 1. Anyway, i wont do any predictions for this race as I am absolutely clueless. So many drivers could win

It wouldn't surprise me if a bit if one of the front runners made a mistake early on in the GP.

If there isn't a sandstorm, or rain which I doubt will happen. Then I'll take a gamble.

1 - Trulli
2 - Button
3 - Vettel

Now hopefully I won't make that much of an ass of myself
I reckon if Toyota is to win, Glock will be winning instead of Trulli.
I Rekon if toyota were to win there is something wrong with RBR and Brawn.
My friend needs a stream. Anyone knows one? Thanks.
Did Brundle just say that the 7th gear ratio is defined by regulations? No wonder the cars keep hitting the limiters when in the slipstream of others.

They want to increase overtaking, the ratios need an extra bit in reserve for drafting...
LMAO @ Brundle on his grid walk, squatting down behind two Brawn mechanics who are kneeling in front of a laptop with a shielded screen which is plugged into the car.

"So what are you guys doing?"

Quote from DaveWS :Did Brundle just say that the 7th gear ratio is defined by regulations? No wonder the cars keep hitting the limiters when in the slipstream of others.

They want to increase overtaking, the ratios need an extra bit in reserve for drafting...

No, but whatever the teams used for qualifying is what they have to use in the race because of parc ferme conditions. It's the same set of regulations that means you can't use a 'qualifying set' any more. An interesting point which I don't actually know the answer to is if a team has to change a gearbox do they have to use the same ratios in the new one as the one they're replacing?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG