The online racing simulator
Wind sucks?
Just wanted to pick this up and make a conversation about it. It's quite important detail considering our coming season and it's features.
Quote :[GVR] uhu D
i want to be polite but wind really sucks in lfs. Re-think it before using it!!!

Now.. I'm interested why wind really sucks in LFS. Such an strict opinion requires some reasoning. Opinion supporting wind are also welcome.

What comes to my opinion - the only thing that bothers me about the wind "model" at the moment is that it's constant force throughout the track. Still, I see it adding rather than reducing something to OLFSL experience.
The only thing with wind is that it changes direction and speed from race to race which can make the break points in the first lap a bit of a guess.

As long it's on low everybody should be able to get round the track though
Personally I welcome anything that adds to the excitement.

For me LFS isn't about doing constant hotlaps for 35 laps, I want action with overtaking, crashes and other elements to take me into the experience. For me Wind will add an interesting element.

If there was something quite wrong with the wind i'm sure Scawen would have taken it out by now, he hasn't so I am 100% sure it will be fine.
Quote from russraine :
If there was something quite wrong with the wind i'm sure Scawen would have taken it out by now, he hasn't so I am 100% sure it will be fine.

By that argument the current LFS collision model would be perfect

Anyway, drivers should be able to cope with wind and different light settings.
This was my first ever race with high wind conditions , and even though my pace was terrible i enjoyed it very much. Great decision to use high wind!

I think Jeremy Clarkson would put it this way: " I want a car that is constantly trying to kill me"
It was huge fun reaching 220+ kph on the big straight and then hitting the brakes hard for the shicane. Can´t wait for the season to begin.
well..

wind will be a interesting feature until the races and the hole season...

driving on a flat track without corners.. weather... are very boring

I was minded to write this a week ago, but better now that never.

While aknowledging the defiencies of wind modeling in LFS I must say that even the high wind is definately not "too much". I was driving back to home 120km/h (on a highway) and it was quite windy that day. The effect was very much similar to what is "felt" in LFS also. Apart the fact that the simulated wind is too constant the actual force is correct and plausible.

I honestly believe the wind is a factor to be noticed and will improve the LFS-experience in our starting season greatly. I'm really looking forward

Just my 5 cents, thank you for reading.
#8 - amp88
It's very difficult or impossible to judge what direction the wind is coming from in LFS and how strong it is. You can look at flags if they're available but you never really know exactly how strong the wind is and which direction it's coming from at key points around the track. Depending on the wind setting (low/high) and what car you're in, the wind can make an absolutely massive difference on car performance. It has an effect on braking distances, cornering speeds and how aggressive you can be with the throttle exiting corners. Due to these differences you have to be very cautious on the first lap or two of the race or qualifying session to learn exactly where the wind is hurting you or helping you. This is fine if you're on your own, but when you're leading the pack there's a danger of people behind you not being as cautious so you have can have a very big accident in no time at all. If you're not cautious enough you can turn up at a corner only to find you need to have braked 20 metres earlier and carried 15 mph less into it to actually make it through. It's also impossible to alter your setup to cope with the wind (if you set your gears up in still air then go out when it's gusting up to 10-30mph you'll find your gears will not be ideal any more). If you make a change in one race to fix the gears then you start another race you could be left with bad gears again because the wind has changed direction or strength.

I do like the idea of wind spicing up racing (it does so in real life, so why shouldn't it in a sim?) but the way it's done in LFS isn't ideal. A simple change which would add a lot of insight to the wind system would be adding indications to the minimap for wind speed and direction.
Wind does not suck. It blows.
Quote from amp88 :A simple change which would add a lot of insight to the wind system would be adding indications to the minimap for wind speed and direction.

Aren't we already spoiled enough with detailed information about tyre temps? How about graph to tell us how much we have created heat to our clutch? None of these are normally available for drivers - and can't be accurately defined with increased "feel" of real life conditions.

Anyway, you can't actually see wind or can you? You can only figure it out indirectly from trees, flags, debris and etc - none of these can't be done while racing with pack of other cars (imo). So in the end you can never be sure where the wind is going to blow - not suck. You can only do your best to prepare for it.

Also, you can't expect to be able to make ideal laps all the time.

And now I will shut up ...I've shared enough cents here
Quote from varjsa-9 :Aren't we already spoiled enough with detailed information about tyre temps? How about graph to tell us how much we have created heat to our clutch? None of these are normally available for drivers - and can't be accurately defined with increased "feel" of real life conditions.

Totally different argument...I agree with you on this point that we have too much information about the tyres at the moment.

Quote from varjsa-9 :Anyway, you can't actually see wind or can you?

No, but any circuit should be able to provide simple weather instruments that can judge wind speed and direction in real time.

Quote from varjsa-9 :You can only figure it out indirectly from trees, flags, debris and etc - none of these can't be done while racing with pack of other cars (imo). So in the end you can never be sure where the wind is going to blow - not suck. You can only do your best to prepare for it.

You can never be absolutely sure but you can be better prepared. Even when in the tightest battle pack you should have time free to look around you. Whether that's at the instrumentation to check revs, adjusting brake balance/anti roll bar or looking at flags is up to you. Do the trees in LFS move like real trees? Do the flags in LFS move like real flags?

Quote from varjsa-9 :Also, you can't expect to be able to make ideal laps all the time.

No, but you can be provided with sufficient information to minimise mistakes. Imagine if real F1 teams turned up at a circuit and they were told 5 seconds before the race start that the wind speed was "8mph" and then the lights go out and they're supposed to race flat out. It's just not realistic at the moment.
The Bahrain qualy just had 20 km/h wind. I never sow an F1 race with over 30 km/h wind (hard wind in LFS). Therefor, hard wind is unreal to be used, specially in every race.

FTR Wind speed is usually under 10 km/h.

And simple instruments that show the direction of wind are available in real life.
Quote from N I K I :FTR Wind speed is usually under 10 km/h

You are mixing up units here?

FTR 30km/h => 8.3m/s => medium wind & under 10m/s
In the other hand 10km/h => 2.8m/s which is very light wind.

If this is not the case then I'm sorry
ya thats what i said. I've wrote all speeds correct
I never sow f1 race with like wind over 10m/s, its usually barely and wind (under 3m/s) so yaaaa, whaddaaup

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG