The online racing simulator
Need Help With Virus
(15 posts, started )
It seems like you have one of those viruses that try to make you buy their 'AV' to sort your PC. You'd want to download Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Failing that, since you're seemingly dual booting, simply transfer your files onto a CD or Flash Drive. Obviously give them a full virus scan before using them, and simply install XP again.

Hope you get it sorted
#2 - amp88
Quote from simscube :What is annoying is that AVG can't detect it

Get a proper AV (Avast is a good free one, NOD32 Smart Security is a very good paid one). A lot of people wouldn't consider a system safe once it's been infected (even if you remove or quarantine the infected files). You could have other malicious code that isn't detected or can't be easily detected (e.g. rootkits). I would format if I were you.

Quote from simscube :Another thing, I would simpily re-install XP, but I have stuff on this harddrive that I cannot afford to lose, as its impossible to recover.

Running without a backup solution for critically important things is a very bad idea. Since you're helping your friends out you should be "the PC guy" around your way. You really should know better. Either invest in an offline external backup solution (external hard drive or an internal hard drive in an external enclosure, don't leave the enclosure on 24/7 connected to the system) or use an online backup solution (online as in backing up on the Internet, not online as in available locally 24/7).

For immediate help, have you tried running the system in safe mode and scanning then? Try Spybot and Malwarebytes as S14 suggests.
-
(simscube) DELETED by simscube
#3 - amp88
Quote from simscube :I do know better, I'm a jobless 17 year old, and focusing my efforts on school rather than money, so I have none to invest on a solution.

Just letting you know that just because someone tech savvy, doesn't mean they have the money to buy all the right stuff

You can get various capacities of secure, free online backup with different companies. You don't need to spend any money unless you want to backup a lot of data (10+ GB). You should investigate the possibilities...

Quote from simscube :EDIT:
Well apparently this damn thing can reinstall the damn explorer, so I give up for the night, I'm going to bed. If anyone else has good comments like S14's, feel free to help.

Read my whole post, I did give some advice.
-
#4 - Jakg
20 GB MP3 player - £20

Can be used as an external HDD

Job done.

Advise wise - Safe mode, then run Avast.
#5 - amp88
Quote from simscube :I'd need to backup more than 20 gb. I'm a DJ, and my music would be what I would be backing up, along with some personal documents and school work. A DJ with no music is like a driver with no car :tilt

You'll be a DJ with no music if you don't get a backup solution in place and your computer goes tits up. Make it a priority or you'll kick yourself when it happens.
I picked up an 8GB IDE drive from a scrapped computer a mate had. Does the job nicely for backups, plus it has a lite version of Ubuntu installed, that I can boot into if my main OS fails HDD's are dirt cheap nowadays, you can pick up a 1TB Samsung F1 for €100 now, meaning it's €0.10 a GB now
As a temporary fix, you could just block all web access to internet explorer in your firewalls programm access settings, and as you called it internet exploder (my preferred phrase is internet exploiter lol) im guessing that you normally use a different browser anyway, so no IE wouldnt be any loss.

As i said, not an ideal solution, but it should stop the problem happening until you can kill whatever is causing it.
-
Yep, the madagascan motorcyclist does seem to know computer stuff very well! Glad its all sorted for you mate, its stressful as hell when they go wrong.
Quote from simscube :well, thanks to S14's advice, my computer is fully back to pre-virus state, and actually a bit better than it was, as it picked up some dormant ones too. Thanks for the help

I helped someone yayyyyy

Quote from danthebangerboy :Yep, the madagascan motorcyclist does seem to know computer stuff very well! Glad its all sorted for you mate, its stressful as hell when they go wrong.

PMSL!!!
Quote from simscube :well, thanks to S14's advice, my computer is fully back to pre-virus state, and actually a bit better than it was, as it picked up some dormant ones too. Thanks for the help

Once a computer has been infected (and it sounds like yours was very badly infected) it can't be fully trusted as safe. You really should reinstall the OS and start again. Get a backup solution, format and reinstall the OS. It's worth the pain for the peace of mind and safety.
Quote from amp88 :Once a computer has been infected (and it sounds like yours was very badly infected) it can't be fully trusted as safe. You really should reinstall the OS and start again. Get a backup solution, format and reinstall the OS. It's worth the pain for the peace of mind and safety.

Load of crap (In my humble opinion!)

I've had a couple of nasties on this rig, inc one that constantly was rebooting and another which was similar to Simcubes one. I use loads of Paypal, Ebay, E-Banking, internet shopping, and have I been victim to online fraud? No. I have AVG and Avast! running together, Spybot Tea Timer thing (and S&D), and Malwarebytes stuff and I don't even do scans that often. Unless of course, you want to reformat every time you get a piece of adware.
I got the same thing and got rid of it in 5 minutes . I found this thing called RegRun Reanimator (don't ever pay for it! Also only ever download the Reanimator as the rest is crap) and it is supposed to be rubbish. However this thing has actually killed mgrs.exe, spoolvs.exe and all those other ones included in that major virus. It was also what got rid of the virus you got .
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Load of crap (In my humble opinion!)

I've had a couple of nasties on this rig, inc one that constantly was rebooting and another which was similar to Simcubes one. I use loads of Paypal, Ebay, E-Banking, internet shopping, and have I been victim to online fraud? No. I have AVG and Avast! running together, Spybot Tea Timer thing (and S&D), and Malwarebytes stuff and I don't even do scans that often. Unless of course, you want to reformat every time you get a piece of adware.

Well, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion
Touch wood, at least. knowing my luck I'll have some Nigerian ringing up asking for my bank account details tommorow.
Quote from simscube : I can run my computer off the second harddrive (windows 7), .

So how much stuff do you need to backup?

Need Help With Virus
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG