The online racing simulator
BMW-Sauber: RPM
(42 posts, started )
way to be anal guys...
Quote from colcob :Linsen: Its complicated, but suffice to say that extract maximum acceleration from an engine, you nearly always need to shift after peak power.

Imagine the peak of a mountain you are passing over, if you start half way up and climb to the top, your average height is 3/4 of the way up. If you start 3/4 up and climb over the top and a 1/4 down the other side, your average height is 7/8 of the way up, which is higher.

Simple as that

I agree Colcob...

BUT: What do you mean by acceleration ??!?!

Just kidding, don't answer that please. lol
Which are the ideal shift points? What is the best RPM to change gear? 19000? after 19000? 200000? Help. Before BMW f1 there was the red light. Now I dont know when to change gear..
The red light is still there.
Quote from nexis :Which are the ideal shift points? ... 200000?

I'd change before 200000 rpm.
Quote from zeugnimod :The red light is still there.

Yes but is very different now. It is green then orange then red. I upshift now just before the red light comes out. Late oragne.. Do I achive max acceleration? I think what friend aip71 said
Quote from aip71 :I'd change before 20000 rpm.

is correct (upshifting late orange is the same thing) but is that true?
Alex (ajp) said don't shift at 200,000rpm
Lol!
#34 - Woz
What is this thread about. We get a REAL LIFE car supplied with data by the actual racing team that designed, runs & maintains that car. The team is happy enough that they allow their logo's, graphics and name be associated with the car in the sim and then people question if the revs for redline in LFS is correct for that car.

This is well funny
Indicative of the spirit of the last few days :rolleyes:
Interestingly, the F1 shifts lights arent the magic torque calculating ones we have one the other cars.
I kept waiting to hit red in 5th and 6th but found that it would take an age to rev up to the red light, but if you shifted up, you'd get extra torque in 6th or 7th and immediately start accelerating again.
Quote from nexis :Yes but is very different now. It is green then orange then red. I upshift now just before the red light comes out. Late oragne.. Do I achive max acceleration?

They do now go green orange yellow red etc, but there's also the red shift light below those that comes on after you've been in the red for a bit. I didn't notice it for a while as I was shifting just as the red came up, but noticed there is still the shift light, the green -> red lights at the top are your rev gauge basically. Or so it seems.
Quote from letdown427 :They do now go green orange yellow red etc, but there's also the red shift light below those that comes on after you've been in the red for a bit. I didn't notice it for a while as I was shifting just as the red came up, but noticed there is still the shift light, the green -> red lights at the top are your rev gauge basically. Or so it seems.

but these red lights indicate the rev limiter, don't they?
So shifting when the rev limiter is already on maybe a little bit to late
seems the rpm should be correct, and it's correct.
Quote from letdown427 :They do now go green orange yellow red etc, but there's also the red shift light below those that comes on after you've been in the red for a bit. I didn't notice it for a while as I was shifting just as the red came up, but noticed there is still the shift light, the green -> red lights at the top are your rev gauge basically. Or so it seems.

Yeah, those red lights lower down are the 'OMG shift will you before I blow up' lights. You can tell by the raggedy sound of the rev limiter.
It's a shame we don't have those lights in the 'wheels only' view, it's nice to have an RPM indicator that you don't have to actually look at, you simply wait until you see red in you're peripheral vision and shift. I'm mainly going by sound ATM, 20,000rpm is quite a distinctive note
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the red light at the top (not the smaller red rev limiter light farther down on the wheel) is the same as the shift indicator light. Drive in wheels view for a bit and listen to when the shift light comes on. Then drive in cockpit view. The frequency is the same.

BMW-Sauber: RPM
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG