The online racing simulator
MPH / Km/H Speedometer
(24 posts, started )
#1 - Nick.
MPH / Km/H Speedometer
Right now, depends on whether you use MPH or Km/H, only one unit shows up in your speedometer. However, most cars have one predominate unit on the outside then an auxiliary unit on the inside, like this;

So, depending on whether you choose MPH or Km/H as your main unit, it should be set up like this (MPH outside, Km/H inside or vice versa)
On some cars the lines are already too close for my liking, the inner meter would be next to unreadable unless you play with a big screen or projector
Additionally, I've never seen such a dual speedometer, but that may be due to the fact I live in a country where we use a proper system Metric FTW!
#4 - Nick.
In the United States, Canada and Mexico they have the dual speedometers on every car (US being MPH first, Canada and Mexico Km/H first)

EDIT: Speedometer on a US spec Saturn Vue
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/889/img0265b.jpg
same in spain , some cars ive been in have it . like my Kangoo speedometer
0-Fail-Fail-Fail-Fail-Fail- 180
Quote from ColeusRattus :Additionally, I've never seen such a dual speedometer, but that may be due to the fact I live in a country where we use a proper system Metric FTW!

True dat, but if you go visit the Uncle Sam or the Queen, you'll have to resort to glue a post-it with conversions on your dashboard.

Most cars around here and in the US have both km/h and mp/h on them. The only difference is that in Canada (and I guess the rest of the countries in America) the bigger numbers are km/h, while in the USA the bigger ones are mp/h. It's handy, and it's one of those little things that would push the realism in LFS even further, but small steps like that aren't a priority. Do you really need to see how fast you go in both units? Most people are only familiar with one, so I don't see the point of them having to know how fast they're going in the other unit.

(I guess it would be an educational tool )
Quote from jwardy :same in spain , some cars ive been in have it . like my Kangoo speedometer
0-Fail-Fail-Fail-Fail-Fail- 180

EEE, only spanish people can say bad things about Spain

Here, as said before, we use the "correct" system, so we have no need to use dual speedometer.

I think only countries that are close to another country with a diferent unit has dual (wich is logical)

PS: I was joking. Dont want to start a fight between the best unit
Reasonable suggestion, and a new one, which is rare.

Unfortunately as NightShift pointed out, the numbers would be too small to read. The "big" numbers on the speedometer changed a few patches ago to improve readability.
Quote from Whiskey :EEE, only spanish people can say bad things about Spain

Here, as said before, we use the "correct" system, so we have no need to use dual speedometer.

I think only countries that are close to another country with a diferent unit has dual (wich is logical)

PS: I was joking. Dont want to start a fight between the best unit

es k soy de espanya :P
#11 - senn
I've only ever seen these in videos/fotos of US cars..maybe a couple of euro ones but none that really spring to mind..
Could you not just change the .dds texture file yourself?
Every single car in the US, Canada and Mexico (at least) has this. And it has nothing to do with the DDS files, since it's basically just a bunch of text.
what's the point of this? How is it an improvement?
Quote from CasseBent :what's the point of this? How is it an improvement?

It's more realistic. Also, the speed limits for the pits are all displayed in km/h IIRC even if you use mph as your main unit of speed. I think every car I've driven in the UK has had these dual markings, but I can't say for certain.

it's got to be way, way down the list of things to do though, IMO.
Quote from amp88 :It's more realistic. Also, the speed limits for the pits are all displayed in km/h IIRC even if you use mph as your main unit of speed. I think every car I've driven in the UK has had these dual markings, but I can't say for certain.

it's got to be way, way down the list of things to do though, IMO.

Its really the point of view and where you live.

In Europe, only metric units are used. Cars with dual speedometers are very very rare. Usually only USA imports have a dual speedometer. From "our" point of view, dual meters are unrealistic since all cars are European style in lfs. If a USA-style car would be added, that one maybe should have a dual speedo.

However, i think there are more important things than the speedo to be improved or added in lfs
Quote from amp88 :it's got to be way, way down the list of things to do though, IMO.

Quote from Bluebird B B :However, i think there are more important things than the speedo to be improved or added in lfs

It's time for...LFS BINGO

I can't see this being important though. You can switch between MPH and KM/H in-game whenever you want already. How many people need both at the same time? We only have one speed you need to remember in KM/H, the pitlane speed. And that's a touch under 50MPH. Everything else you can deal with in your own unit
Quote from Bluebird B B :In Europe, only metric units are used. Cars with dual speedometers are very very rare. Usually only USA imports have a dual speedometer. From "our" point of view, dual meters are unrealistic since all cars are European style in lfs. If a USA-style car would be added, that one maybe should have a dual speedo

I believe every car I've driven in the UK has had dual markings. They're very common in some parts of Europe. LFS is a mainly British based game, so having dual markings would probably be more realistic.
Quote from Nick. :Well I don't think size will be an issue, as I conveniently represented here
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6264/dualsped.png

The placement isn't completely accurate, but I think it gets the point across lol

Oddly enough, +1 for the suggestion.

And why the hell everyone seems to like one of my worst skins around the most?
Quote from amp88 :I believe every car I've driven in the UK has had dual markings. They're very common in some parts of Europe. LFS is a mainly British based game, so having dual markings would probably be more realistic.

29.2% non-metric, 65% metric and 5.8% quite possibly metric

My suggestion: Realise your system of measurement is outdated and inferior to SI and use km/h
Guys, even better this! Use the SI unit itself! Why not implement metre per second?

Quote from morpha :

29.2% non-metric, 65% metric and 5.8% quite possibly metric

Aww Singapore isn't up there But FYI, since Singapore used to be a British colony, of course, we drive RHD cars and use KM/H. But I think that's metric ain't it?
Quote from amp88 :I believe every car I've driven in the UK has had dual markings. They're very common in some parts of Europe. LFS is a mainly British based game, so having dual markings would probably be more realistic.

The UK wants to be part of the eu, but with some things UK stays apart of Europe, like left-side driving, strange units and still not using the euro
There is nothing wrong with that, but the UK is not a very good example how things are in the rest of the EU.

I just don't think dual markings should be a priority.
Ok, it's not necessarily an improvement. It'd just be nice to have. And neither metric nor imperial are inferior or superior to one another, they're just different forms of measurement. People use different systems because it's a comfort issue. I can't imagine in my head how fast 135 km/h is in my head without converting it to imperial.

Also, adding on to the original suggestion, maybe there can be four options under Units, mph, km/h, dual (mph first) and dual (km/h first).

Thunderhead, I like it because it's simple and clean

MPH / Km/H Speedometer
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG