Jenson Button
Sebastian Vettel
Robert Kubica
Sebastien Buemi
Lewis Hamilton
Jarno Trulli
Rubens Barrichello
Timo Glock
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Seems fair to me, if they told the truth he would have kept his 4th place, but they lied and tried to cheat their way to 3rd. It was an easy decision to make and we can't argue with it, making a mistake is one thing, lieing about it is another, and given Mclarens recent history you would think honesty was a priority for them. Oh and this has ruined the season? Considering Hamilton won't be playing a part in it and he was lucky to even finish the race in the first place then I don't see how that can be the case.

What I don't get is that they could have just kept 3rd instead of having Lewis slow to let Trulli by. It's not exactly a unknown rule that you can pass someone who goes off-track under SC. Certainly less controversial than trying to cover it up by "neglecting to mention" that they slowed to let him by.
I hate it when the FIA **** around with the fans, they should cater for the drivers first and the teams second, the fans are a bi product.
If the stewards are going to make post-race judgements that can't be challenged according to the rules, they bloody well ought to start making those judgement calls with better information. If they don't have the information, go bloody well get it.

This reflects abysmally on the whole 25 second/no appeal policy, IMO, and shows just how laughable F1's system of so-called "fairness" is. It's bad enough they made all F1 cars look like ridiculous upright vacuums.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :What I don't get is that they could have just kept 3rd instead of having Lewis slow to let Trulli by. It's not exactly a unknown rule that you can pass someone who goes off-track under SC. Certainly less controversial than trying to cover it up by "neglecting to mention" that they slowed to let him by.

exactly.

maybe they didn't realize that by the time, and after the race decided they should keep the 3rd place afterall? either way it isn't very Mclaren like to me, 4th place is pretty good for damage minimisation, I don't see any point in such balantant lying, bad decision made in the heat of the moment I would say.
I think McLaren suspect that Toyota are their main rivals this season. That's why what happened, happened.
Are there no limits ...
This is already being discussed in the other thread and is a fair and deserved penalty for blatantly lieing about an important fact.
Quote from BlueFlame :I think McLaren suspect that Toyota are their main rivals this season. That's why what happened, happened.

Their main rivals will be Force India for the first half of the season, then maybe Torro Rosso if they are lucky. Mclaren are quickly losing what little respect I had left for them, not knowing the regulations, then lieing to the stewards just to gain a place they had not earnt.
still one wonders if the same thing would have happened to say ferrari fo instance :P
Quote from james12s :still one wonders if the same thing would have happened to say ferrari fo instance :P

No, they are smart enough to disclose information that is already freely available to the stewards if it will have an effect on a decision, they would realise failing to disclose that information would be misleading and it would always be interpreted as a deliberate act to gain a position unfairly.
Quote from amp88 :Yes, it's the FIA's fault that Hamilton and McLaren are dishonest and lied to try and gain an advantage.

Oh, wait a second...

Yeah i didnt mention Mclaren/Hamilton, sorry

Oh, wait a second...
it was a bit of a joke, but tbh if the stewards had actualy looked at the orignal 'incident' properly it would have been obvious that hamilton was going much slow than trulli and therefore should have been investigated then, simple. but typical fia stewards cant seem to do their job correctly, ok mclaren were in the wrong and got penalised ,fine, but as seen before the fia and its handleing of such happenings doesnt seem great
The cheater(s) cheated and got punished. End of. No one to blame but Hamilton and McLaren.
I thought the decision against Truli was unduly harsh, and support that it has been appealed. I think also, that the FIA need to stop rushing in to change race results in an order to stir up controversy.

It's clear the whole thing is purely to get people talking about the sport again, but really, it'd be great if there could be a race & championship decided on who crosses the ruddy finish line first.

I appreciate post race penalties are necessary to correct dangerous driving, but what point has the sport got to when they penalise a driver for letting somebody through who they thought they had too?

Hamilton's penalty is for making the stewards look bad by not helping them to make the wrong decision, but if they hadnt been looking for a penalty to hand out for the sake of stirring up a controversy then they would not have ended up looking so bad, which does indeed make them look quite bad...

Quote from tristancliffe :The cheater(s) cheated and got punished. End of. No one to blame but Hamilton and McLaren.

I agree, they had plenty of opportunities to admit their error and set things right, but they decided to insult everyone's intelligence by lying. They can have no complaints now.
Greed got what it deserved. After such good and blessed drive they should have been happy with their 4th place.
I'm still not quite clear on the situation. Somebody is still lying.

Quote from FIA :"Both the driver [Hamilton] and the team manager stated that no such instruction had been given."

vs

Quote from Martin Whitmarsh :What they believe is that... the information about that radio conversation with the team was withheld, and that is what they believe was misleading.

and

Quote from Trulli :And he was slowing down more and more, so I overtook him at 80km/h. So we were basically stopped.

vs

Quote from Martin Whitmarsh :It was difficult conditions but there was no evidence from the data that Lewis did anything that induced Trulli to go past.

Does look like Mclaren are the bad boys here though.

Another important question is wtf don't the stewards have onboards, radio and data recordings when they look into these situations?
I don't understand how it's not clear.

They tell Lewis to let Trulli pass, then he says he has done it.

If they claimed they didn't tell him to let Trulli pass and he just overtook them they are lying.

McLaren failed the trust of the steward by lying what they had told Lewis to do. I can't understand what's the controversy. The penalty given to Trulli was based to the assumption McLaren were telling the truth and in my opinnion failing that trust deserves a punishment.
Well. I must admit that these responses are pretty much what I'd expected, given the circumstances.

Fair enough.

But I am of the opinion that the punishment for this 'crime' would most likely have been a slap on the wrist, (i.e. a driver/team fine) and a demotion back to fourth place, had this not been a Hamilton+McLaren incident.

I'm afraid history has made me a little bit cynical in these situations.
What isn't clear is that FIA and Whitmarsh are still saying two different things and no transcript has been released to prove either one or the other.

FIA says that they asked Hamilton after the race if he had been instructed to let Trulli pass and he said no. Whitmarsch says that all that happened was that they didn't tell the FIA about the instruction because they thought they were aware of the radio conversation anyway.

Two different things. Either Hamilton lied and Whitmarsh is still lying, or FIA is lying.
WAAAAAAAAAY hahahahahahahaha Hamilton

I knew there was a reason why i hated him, i really don't like him

And for the people that say "the stewards are racist" "the stewards have it in for Hamilton" and "the Stewards should make there minds up and stick with it" (This has been said in the phone ins or text in the news channels or radio). Are stupid and should shut the f**k up. I mean can you get more stupid but i bet you if it was Massa or any other driver they would be saying he deserves it.
Quote from 1993weeman :WAAAAAAAAAY hahahahahahahaha Hamilton

I knew there was a reason why i hated him, i really don't like him

And for the people that say "the stewards are racist" "the stewards have it in for Hamilton" and "the Stewards should make there minds up and stick with it" (This has been said in the phone ins or text in the news channels or radio). Are stupid and should shut the f**k up. I mean can you get more stupid but i bet you if it was Massa or any other driver they would be saying he deserves it.

Thats what your basically saying about Hamilton.... "He deserves it"
Quote from DevilDare :Thats what your basically saying about Hamilton.... "He deserves it"

I admit Hamilton is a good driver and has done well to get where he is now. But he is the most annoying driver there, and i cant belive he ired to get away with that, i cant believe that its shocking. No driver should ever do that and if another driver did that then i would be going mental at them even if he was my fav driver

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG