The online racing simulator
#1 - Waldo
F1 hotlapping much better than F1C
I have about 10,000 laps under my belt with EA's F1C, F12001, F12000, etc. and I just picked up LFS last week. I've raced every F1 mod for F1C and love CTDP and RH . . . but now that the patch and the BMW is out I just can't get enough. The driving is superb! TC is great. Soooo much better than F1C. My only complaint is the AI, so I'll probably still turn a few laps in F1C for the "race" experience.

But hotlapping in the BMW is fantastic. I just can't get away from the thing when I'm driving. I keep thinking, "Just one more lap. I know I can do better". Rarely felt that way with F1C.

Thanks for the great work LFS.
#2 - Ams
go online!
#3 - ajp71
Can't you race online, there's no shortage of BF1 servers atm.
I cant get enough either, im siiting 21st with the BF1 on Blackwood at the minute with a 55s dead, hoping to break into the 54s tomorrow as i need a rest now.
Well, you know, LFS is a sim, F1C is an EA Sports game. There is a difference.

But yes, you should go online and see how much fun it can be!
Quote from ajp71 :Can't you race online, there's no shortage of BF1 servers atm.

A mere overkill I'd say.
#7 - TiJay
Just got the S2 licence- wow! What a car, what a game! 1.06 on Blackwood with the BMW though... need more practice
#8 - wE1l
Quote from Qurpiz :Well, you know, LFS is a sim, F1C is an EA Sports game. There is a difference.

But yes, you should go online and see how much fun it can be!

For your information, F1C is a racing simulation.
^^^ yes, and fifa2006 is a soccer simulation...

just kidding, had some fun with f1c and several mods, too.

peace mo
#10 - ekze
Quote from wE1l :For your information, F1C is a racing simulation.

Yep! NFSU is streetracing simulation...
illepall
#11 - wE1l
Quote from ekze :Yep! NFSU is streetracing simulation...
illepall

do u even know that the developer behind F1C is ISI, the author of rFactor?

and what a shame that someone who likes LFS doesn't even know NFS is an arcade game.

for all it worth, I quote wikipedia---

The EA Sports F1 Series is five racing simulation games based on Formula One motorsport.

Need for Speed (NFS) is a series of racing computer and video games by Electronic Arts
Dude, calm down! He's extracting the urine!
Grand Prix 4 is the only real F1 simulation

Waldo dude you really need to get your ass online for the full experience
#14 - ekze
Quote from wE1l :do u even know that the developer behind F1C is ISI, the author of rFactor?

and what a shame that someone who likes LFS doesn't even know NFS is an arcade game.

for all it worth, I quote wikipedia---

The EA Sports F1 Series is five racing simulation games based on Formula One motorsport.

Need for Speed (NFS) is a series of racing computer and video games by Electronic Arts

calm down mate! of course i know that, just kidding... :rolleyes:
#15 - wE1l
Quote from ekze :calm down mate! of course i know that, just kidding... :rolleyes:

Nothing, I was not heated up, so no need to calm down.
Quote from wE1l :For your information, F1C is a racing simulation.

For me, it's not nearly as much of a sim as for example LfS, Netkar Pro etc etc.

I find the racing in F1C (as well as all the other F1 games out there) quite arcadish.
Quote from Qurpiz :For me, it's not nearly as much of a sim as for example LfS, Netkar Pro etc etc.

I find the racing in F1C (as well as all the other F1 games out there) quite arcadish.

I heard the handling of modern day F1 IS quite arcadish
Ok, can we put the age old sim vs arcade debate aside?

Tried online today a couple of times. Good fun, but I need some help. I'm more of an offline racer. Tried online a few times but was always put off by the amount of time required to get going with everyone, and then someone would make a mistake and ruin it, etc.

I want to get going online with LFS as it seems to be much better. My problems were understanding what servers were running qualifying and who were currently racing, or about to race. Joined a couple in progress and got right out again. Joined another but everyone was qualifying forever and didn't have the patience to stay.

What do the VSQMP letters mean under info?
What is S or T under the V column?

Also, where's this "LFS S2 Manual:hosting guide for beginners" that I saw on page 8 of the manual? There's no actual link in the manual. I need some tips on how everything works once you're online.
you may Vote
you can Select tracks
race Qualify is enabled
join Mid-race is allowed
Pitstop required in a race

S and T are the versions of LFS that the hosts use. Latest version is T which you probably have on your hard drive.

I don't know if you've seen it, but you may want to browse through the Beginners forum a bit. I'm sure you'll find some useful general information there.

Also handy is the keys PDF that is included in your LFS/docs folder, like 't' for talking online (and many other keys)

And maybe what you need is some quieter servers to get used to racing online with others. Less chance of a messy start as well (especially with the brand new car, people aren't used to it yet, but still want to get in 1st place before T1 - it'll calm down a bit later on when the 'new' factor is less)

And there are the leagues of course - you can count on very serious racing there (and a league can also be for fun - not to be world champion)

Anyway, welcome - glad you like it
I know I always turn to wikipedi when I need solid, factual information.
:elefant:
I think the hardest bit at the moment in BF1 servers is the simply enormous differences in people's braking points.
Quote from Waldo :TC is great.

Meh. I haven't bothered with it, car is perfectly driveable without. I tried turning it on and unless I was silly it didn't do anything anyway. But useful for newbies I guess.
#23 - avih
Quote from Bob Smith :Meh. I haven't bothered with it, car is perfectly driveable without. I tried turning it on and unless I was silly it didn't do anything anyway. But useful for newbies I guess.

actually it's very usable also for non noobs. the thing is that it enables a different driving technique, which includes pushing the throttle early on and counting on TC to control the gas. one u get used to it u can improve your lap times nicely.

although i don't have enough laps with BF1/TC yet and i haven't tried the BF1 without TC, so it might be just as fast without it as well. i still quite like it though. it's also very nicely implemented imho.
It is quite driveable without the TC, you just have to be very careful on the starts and slow and medium speed corner exits...
#25 - Vain
I find it rather easy to pull a nice FOX-like burnout at the start in the BF1 without TC. Just floor it, then keep the revs in a medium range until you're up to some speed and wait for the tyres to grip so you can floor it again.
The only difference to the FOX is that it's more fun .

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG