The online racing simulator
Thank a dev day
(35 posts, started )
Thank a dev day
Today, Fri March 27th, is a "Thank a dev" -day! The general idea is to appreciate the creators behind free software or -components by sending an email to the author. Even though LFS is not free, I would like to THANK THE DEVS for this extremely cool piece of reliable, usable, light and transparent software!

And just in case you also want to thank some of the open source devs, http://thankadev.wordpress.com/
thank you devs!
#3 - Byku
So... thank You Devs .
Thank you LFS dev's
#5 - G!NhO
+1 Thank you devs
Sorry I don't play anymore, but thanks for the 4 years that I did.
Scavier- I'd bet at times when you see the rubbish talk some members of the community put out it would make you think why your bothereing to carry on making this (incredible) simulation game. I play it everother day and still enjoy it. I enjoy seeing how a little difference in the setup of the car makes it react differently. I enjoy the community spirit of the cruising servers (TC,+ dont bother flaming because i like to relax with friends in a game we have all paid for.) I enjoy racing when i get round to it. I enjoy the game full stop. its the best 'bang for buck' i think i've had.

LFS is great, and with your continued and determined mind set to produce the best racing sim, it will continue to bring in new racers and keep many old ones wondering what will be next.

I dont post much. I'd bet there are many many people that dont. But read and have an active interest in LFS. I' bet there all also happy with the game and cant wait for new updates.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Jay
It's D-Day once again eh ?

Thanks devs!
#9 - VoiD
Oh, it´s another club..?!

Subscribing

Thx alot Sca-Vi-Er-Ge
Thank you devs!

who invented this? :scratch:
Frankly, the £24 I gave them should be more than enough thanks.

Although I kinda see the point (yes I know I'll get flamed :hide, people that create software for free should be doing so out of kindness/wanting to provide people with something enjoyable/useful without ripping them off like larger companies... I don't really see the point.
#13 - VoiD
#14 - Nobo
Yeah, thanks for that great piece of software
Quote :people that create software for free should be doing so out of kindness/wanting to provide people with something enjoyable/useful without ripping them off like larger companies

You ungrateful swine!

I wrote free software for many years, I still do on ocassion. I wrote the software for many reasons, to learn, to play, to have fun creating, because I needed or wanted it etc.

Development however is a difficult process, it can be a lot of work, very time consuming, and often frustrating. I gave my projects away out of charity, and every thank you and positive responce I received made up for the effort given.

Some of the free stuff i've done I didnt actually want to do, I made it purely for other people. It's thanks alone that was the reward.

As an author I dont give a damn if you have been "ripped off by somebody else", and it is not reward alone to "want to give you something useful/enjoyable".

Supposedly kindness is it's own reward, but believe me when I say a thank you for being kind goes a lot further.
See, I knew I'd get flamed.

I'm just saying that there is plenty of free software that people could charge a small sum for, say £5 or $9.99, but they often choose to release it for free...why is that? :jawdrop:
Yah Thanks
Quote from S14 DRIFT :See, I knew I'd get flamed.

I'm just saying that there is plenty of free software that people could charge a small sum for, say £5 or $9.99, but they often choose to release it for free...why is that? :jawdrop:

1] Contractual limitation with day job
2] The inability to provide support on a level suiteable for a paid product
3] The knowledge that people expect software for free, therefore charging would yield a very small user base
4] Most profit dissapearing in administration and distribution site surcharges
5] Financial loss from distibution site subscription fees
6] Because giving something away is a kind thing to do and some of us are just wired that way
7] Perceived lack of value in the finished product because of low self esteem, emo hangups and childhood traumas
8] Not everything is chargeable or is there a market for (ie: LFS mods)
9] Guilt over previously being a major software pirate
10] Because sucess of the finished article would become measureable by profit not it's reception in the marketplace, thus changing the emphasis of development and killing the joy.

11] Off the bottom of the list: To earn respect within communities and be thanked for your efforts
At first I thought people are saying thank you because the VW has been released. Then I checked the test patches section. And now I'm here. Thanks devs
#20 - senn
thanks to the entire team, devs, families and friends We know without any of the support if these this awesome software would not exist
Thanks Dev!

#22 - 5haz
Yay, thanks
Quote from Töki (HUN) :At first I thought people are saying thank you because the VW has been released. Then I checked the test patches section. And now I'm here. Thanks devs

Damn you! I just checked the test patch forum, but there was nothing of interest

Anyway, thanks a bunch, devs Without you I erm.. wouldn't have LFS
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Frankly, the £24 I gave them should be more than enough thanks.

Although I kinda see the point (yes I know I'll get flamed :hide, people that create software for free should be doing so out of kindness/wanting to provide people with something enjoyable/useful without ripping them off like larger companies... I don't really see the point.

I agree.

Thank a dev day
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG