The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Crommi :First I record it with fraps full resolution (1280x1024), then do what I need to do in Premiere and export it as Uncompressed avi which I open up in Virtualdub to crop it into Youtube widescreen format and use FFDShow (still within Virtualdub) to compress it using h.264 compression with 2000 bitrate.

You could probably use little higher bitrate too but since Youtube does recompression anyways to roughly ~2k, there won't be major difference in quality to make it worth having much larger filesize that takes even longer to upload.

the RAW avi must be huge!
Usually 10-30GB, but Premiere is just awful for compressing video, we're talking about hours for encoding high quality video when you can get much better quality in smaller filesize with Virtualdub. Compressing that 17GB raw avi into just 45MB took roughly 5 minutes.
Quote from Crommi :Radical's understeer can be cured, but I think there's something going on with front suspension that isn't quite right. I haven't driven it in a long time but it seems that people are still having major problems getting setups dialed in and sounds like DP is actually much easier car to drive.

Meh, I feel there could be a bit more downforce at the front, but it's at believeable levels... I think the engine placement/weight distribution in general is to blame for most of the understeer issues... That and the imo very low-locking diff make for a truely unforgiving experience...
My main problem with the game is race length. Thirty minutes is easy for me to sit through, problem is I don't really get thirty minutes without my mom calling the house (typically she calls every 15 and called twice during the writing of this post). And then if she's home she'll want to carry on a conversation, but I just want to drive! She gave me a nice 12 incedent points just so she could moan to me about her job.

The games great, it's just that I can't generate time for full length races. Got to find out the next time I'll be home alone.
The whole scheduled race thing actually works out a lot better for me than I thought it would. With LFS league races, I plan on racing every Thursday night, but then during the day people want to make plans for that night and I have to turn them down because I have to race. Its nice with iRacing that whenever I don't have anything better to do I can sit down for a couple hours and get in a some official races. And if I don't have time for a full race, just jump in a practice session or something and do a couple laps. Guess it comes down to each person's situation though.
Quote from StableX :Have you tried the Legend Road series PMD? Bloody good fun.

Yep, pretty sure last season I did really well in those.

Now though it's pretty empty for me the time I'm at the PC.

Quote from Crommi :Why not Impala Road series, it's anything but boring on Lime Rock Park for instance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkId-3WYJg

Did COT @ W.Glen, was amazing. Infineon, also great. I think Latemodels (on road) would be much greater fun overall and bring in more people (I know Hyperactive would agree).
I like official race scheduling too. Makes it a lot easier to plan for.

Besides, it's easy to waste upward of 20 minutes in LFS either waiting around, or flipping through servers trying find a race.

I just wish it was every 30 min instead of every hour.
Quote from Mattesa :I like official race scheduling too. Makes it a lot easier to plan for.

Besides, it's easy to waste upward of 20 minutes in LFS either waiting around, or flipping through servers trying find a race.

I just wish it was every 30 min instead of every hour.

I guess it's to avoid spreading people across many races and Silverado races can take up to 1.5h, so it's good to have small break between starts.
Quote from Crommi :I guess it's to avoid spreading people across many races and Silverado races can take up to 1.5h, so it's good to have small break between starts.

How many people are usually in the Silverado races? I'm not sure if I should be worried about races being empty in the higher up classes. I'm guessing since I'm over here in the US though, oval racing is pretty popular during the evenings when I'm on.

I couldn't resist the urge to get Bristol last night just to try it out, man what a blast that track is. I love how in the SK modified you can't even see more than 10 feet in front of you in the turns, you pretty much just have to guess where the apex is. You see one cone on the inside going into a turn, then you're all by yourself until you get to the other cone on exit.
My playtimes are little different but there's usually 1-2 fields per Silverado race, but it's mostly europeans and some americans who prefer early in the morning/day. But having that gap between races seems to serve it's purpose, on quiet hours it would just suck to have two half grid races running at the same time, second one starting just before first ends and so on.
The Silverado is extremly popular.... the sound alone is worth buying it for

( don't tell Ron )
Quote from StableX :The Silverado is extremly popular.... the sound alone is worth buying it for

( don't tell Ron )

I 'eard that!

I actually had a Skippy race last night! Went on their grass once (just to piss them off) and got over exuberant once. Did the nags get to me? NO!

I've rigged a cardboard strip over the top 1" of my monitor.
I have a strange prob with iracing when i go & log in the page loads but my helmet is in Black& white? also all other racers are B&W & I cant join any sessions?

Anyone had this happen b4, how can I fix it?
Probably your version is not updated.
Quote from Doorman :

I've rigged a cardboard strip over the top 1" of my monitor.

hahaha!!!!!! true style..... just like duck tape for a nascar quali

I think you'd like the Mazda ron Skippy does my nut in !
Quote from anttt69 :I have a strange prob with iracing when i go & log in the page loads but my helmet is in Black& white? also all other racers are B&W & I cant join any sessions?

Anyone had this happen b4, how can I fix it?

Sounds like iracing service isn't running on backround, it should start automatically when you log onto Windows. You can start it manually by running iRacingService.exe from iRacing folder.
Yeah I don't think you have it running, when I check stats from my work computer I get the same thing, because I don't have it installed here.
ARGH!!!!!!!! Once again, I missed the race by under 30 seconds. This time anti-virus kept popping up.

Guess I'll just have to TT.
Quote from Crommi :Sounds like iracing service isn't running on backround, it should start automatically when you log onto Windows. You can start it manually by running iRacingService.exe from iRacing folder.

Yep that fixed it. Thanks
Just won two races in a row. They brought my SR up to above 3.0, but how long does it make for me to get promoted now that I've completed everything?
every half season, I think every 6 or 7 weeks? a season is 13 weeks, I think. I was pretty much nonexistant this season. I'm gonna try and learn Silverstone real quick and get 1 race in before tracks change
Quote from Rappa Z :Just won two races in a row. They brought my SR up to above 3.0, but how long does it make for me to get promoted now that I've completed everything?

If you're a rookie, you only have to wait to the end of the rookie season, which only lasts 4 weeks. I ended up joining in the middle of week 4 of a rookie season and got promoted that weekend.

If you have a normal license (D through A) you have to wait for the end of the normal 12 week season.
Quote from Forbin :If you're a rookie, you only have to wait to the end of the rookie season, which only lasts 4 weeks. I ended up joining in the middle of week 4 of a rookie season and got promoted that weekend.

Most people at best can be 1337... you seem to be LEEB, one step ahead of the rest
StableX: About setups, I'm using http://www.iracersresource.com/ because it's fast and easy for both uploading and browsing for other people's setups. It's still fairly new site so go ahead and contribute
Is there anywhere to find the best hotlaps for certain tracks?

I got 1.46.8 in qualifying with the soltice at laguna seca, but I can't say it felt to fast and considering it was my first go at changing the setup there must be faster somewhere....
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG