The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
What did you guys think of tlad's ending?

Spoiler alert....I personally thought it was'nt a bad ending, but why the heck did jim have to die?! It was alot easier than the ending in GTA4 though. In GTA 4, you had to work alot harder to finish the ending. In tlad, you just kill some mafia guys, then go kill billy after you find out jim's died. It was just too easy. You just go into the prison, and deliver headshots to everyone. Simple as that! I loved the storyline, and all in all, its fantastic value for money, but i cant help thinking that it should have been a little more challenging, or maybe more side missions. Not bad, but typically GTA'esque, theres nothing to do after completing the game apart from fook around, which quickly gets boring.
Quote from chanoman315 :this is getting boring... would be cool if out of nothing a commando of mafia guys come to you like with 3 cars and try to kill you, that kind of stuff, or getting into a gang zone and they attack you... not just.. ummm nothing after you completed the missions.

u tryed the ''friends'' you find from streets? they give yuo some missions, some pretty fun too.
If you look on the gta forums, loads of people are already working on mods to add things like fuel to the cars (so you need to fill them up periodically), cars you can own (so you can park anywhere in the city and the car will stay there), hunger etc.
damn id like those...i think rockstar should make a realisnm patch to gta iv at some point so even xbox users could have them
Quote from batteryy :u tryed the ''friends'' you find from streets? they give yuo some missions, some pretty fun too.

yeah, but i'd like some more action, gangs of 20 guys attaacking you.. and that stuff
go to russian place(the first city), i was in front of russian shop and pointed a cars driver with a weapon, soon he got out of the car but started shooting me, then i saw more cars parking near me and people shot at me from the windows of the car. so thats a good way to get some gang stuff. point a russian with a gun
Quote from chanoman315 :yeah, but i'd like some more action, gangs of 20 guys attaacking you.. and that stuff

Like batteryy said, go to the mid/southern section of the first island and shoot, you're bound to have a few people have a pop at you.
Would you guys say GTA4 is worth getting for the PC?

I've been looking at a few videos (i.e. Mr. PePe's :P) on YouTube, and it seems to look pretty nice. Would I get those sort of visuals from my PC, and if not what would be letting me down?

Whats happening with the patch situation? I don't want this to be another TDU! :P

EDIT - I liked GTA3, GTA Vice City was (imo) 3 with a different story line, and San Andreas was just too grind-y for me.
i say its worth getting to pc, ive played it on pc and i coulve gotten it to pc myself too but my computer didnt run it.
and btw, when talking about SA it sucked pecause you had to be gansta
Should be OK Jack, the GT would be the limiting factor with high res textures etc. For £25 or whatever it is atm, I would say it's worth it.
I'd say no(t yet)... The patches damaged more than they fixed (the latest removed patch removed way too many things - some that are necessary for missions or to heal yourself with)... If you have to have it, buy it for a console, the PC version is still too buggy atm...
Quote from bbman :If you have to have it, buy it for a console, the PC version is still too buggy atm...

I have an Xbox 1 - Will that do? No intention of buying any "next gen" console....
Quote from pb32000 :Should be OK Jack, the GT would be the limiting factor with high res textures etc. For £25 or whatever it is atm, I would say it's worth it.

Great - the newest bit of my PC is the limiting bit :P

Looks like i'll wait (for a patch) then...
:P Well, I haven't installed any patches on mine, running at 1920x1200 on I think mid graphics level with a 8800GTS 320 and E6600 it was just about playable. So considering you have a quad and a G92 GT (@ 1680x1050?) you'd probably be OK without any of the buggy patches.
For me, its love/hate. I just had the game crash on me before i could save. I'd just completed a pretty exciting Mission that involved a gunfight in a museum and a car chase... I think it has something to do w/ my ATi 9.2 drivers. Maybe 9.3 will fix that... its supposed to be released today.
Quote from Jakg :I have an Xbox 1 - Will that do? No intention of buying any "next gen" console....
Great - the newest bit of my PC is the limiting bit :P

Looks like i'll wait (for a patch) then...

I wouldn't wait for other patches, Rockstar messed up with game patches and removed about 90% of the objects on the game for "performance optimizations". I wonder if we'll still see Niko on the next update

Since you have a Quad core and a great computer, if I were you I would definitely buy it. This game is optimized for quad core processors, and even if you don't get much more than 35fps (most things maxed out) at 1680x1050 (same resolution I play here), this game is absolutely playable even at 18fps, and Rockstar said they consider 20fps to be playable too. I'm not saying you'll get stuck on 35FPS, I've seen many people running the game with more than 45fps and even some (a bit more rare) at 60fps on very high resolutions. A friend of mine has a E2160 1.6GHz and plays it on 1024x768, view distance 10/100 (10 out of 100), detail distance 35/100, traffic 45/100, textures on medium and filtering on high, his computer manages to get 32FPS on most parts of the city and 23fps while going fast (e.g. from a part of the city to another).

Unlike some people who complain on the GTA Forums, I didn't have any problems at all with the game, just installed everything it asks for and played fine. I suggest you stay with the "original game" (1.0) unless you really have problems with it. The other patches are not worth it, at least not for me.

GTA IV Patches:
1.0 (unpached game, works perfectly for me so I don't see why I would install any patches).
1.0.1.0 (patch 1.1, it is supposed to fix problems if you have any playing on 1.0).
1.0.2.0 (patch 1.2, it is supposed to give more graphical options (not really necessary) and fix problems for people who installed 1.1, and added support for some wheel and joystick devices. Problem is, it removes a lot of objects from the whole game map, making some streets desert, removing some of the hot dog vendors and resulting in some other ridiculous things. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have problems with everything else on the game and this is the last solution).

GTA IV uses a lot of memory, so, if you don't have enough graphics card memory, I'd suggest having at least 4GB RAM, so you can use your RAM as graphics memory for higher textures etc (to play with everything maxed out).
In my computer, high textures, higher settings and max view distance uses about 1370MB of video memory (it's most likely to be more, I don't remember now). My graphics card have only 512MB, but it's possible to use a commandline for making the game use RAM, and it works perfectly as long as you have enough RAM for it (otherwise the game will start using page file and will slow the game down a lot and, if there's not enough page file, it'll crash or have missing textures. It's a completely reversible problem though).

Well, I'm playing the game and I like it.
Quote from Velociround :I wouldn't wait for other patches, Rockstar messed up with game patches and removed about 90% of the objects on the game for "performance optimizations". I wonder if we'll still see Niko on the next update

Since you have a Quad core and a great computer, if I were you I would definitely buy it. This game is optimized for quad core processors, and even if you don't get much more than 35fps (most things maxed out) at 1680x1050 (same resolution I play here), this game is absolutely playable even at 18fps, and Rockstar said they consider 20fps to be playable too. I'm not saying you'll get stuck on 35FPS, I've seen many people running the game with more than 45fps and even some (a bit more rare) at 60fps on very high resolutions. A friend of mine has a E2160 1.6GHz and plays it on 1024x768, view distance 10/100 (10 out of 100), detail distance 35/100, traffic 45/100, textures on medium and filtering on high, his computer manages to get 32FPS on most parts of the city and 23fps while going fast (e.g. from a part of the city to another).

Unlike some people who complain on the GTA Forums, I didn't have any problems at all with the game, just installed everything it asks for and played fine. I suggest you stay with the "original game" (1.0) unless you really have problems with it. The other patches are not worth it, at least not for me.

GTA IV Patches:
1.0 (unpached game, works perfectly for me so I don't see why I would install any patches).
1.0.1.0 (patch 1.1, it is supposed to fix problems if you have any playing on 1.0).
1.0.2.0 (patch 1.2, it is supposed to give more graphical options (not really necessary) and fix problems for people who installed 1.1, and added support for some wheel and joystick devices. Problem is, it removes a lot of objects from the whole game map, making some streets desert, removing some of the hot dog vendors and resulting in some other ridiculous things. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have problems with everything else on the game and this is the last solution).

GTA IV uses a lot of memory, so, if you don't have enough graphics card memory, I'd suggest having at least 4GB RAM, so you can use your RAM as graphics memory for higher textures etc (to play with everything maxed out).
In my computer, high textures, higher settings and max view distance uses about 1370MB of video memory (it's most likely to be more, I don't remember now). My graphics card have only 512MB, but it's possible to use a commandline for making the game use RAM, and it works perfectly as long as you have enough RAM for it (otherwise the game will start using page file and will slow the game down a lot and, if there's not enough page file, it'll crash or have missing textures. It's a completely reversible problem though).

Well, I'm playing the game and I like it.

can you use a command line for other games? like lfs? cause my computer is only 1.6 ghz dual core and integrated GFX card but i have 1013 ram.
Quote from mutt107 :can you use a command line for other games? like lfs? cause my computer is only 1.6 ghz dual core and integrated GFX card but i have 1013 ram.

If your graphics card is integrated it should already use some of your RAM for it (not much anyway, some may take 92~97MB or something), but making the game do it is only possible if the game was programmed for this and for using command lines.

It would be possible to do for LFS (and other games) too, but Scawen (and/or other game developers) would need to code their game to do that.

So, the basic answer is no, sorry this isn't common. GTA IV is the only game I know it is possible.
Quote from Velociround :If your graphics card is integrated it should already use some of your RAM for it (not much anyway, some may take 92~97MB or something), but making the game do it is only possible if the game was programmed for this and for using command lines.

It would be possible to do for LFS (and other games) too, but Scawen (and/or other game developers) would need to code their game to do that.

So, the basic answer is no, sorry this isn't common. GTA IV is the only game I know it is possible.

ok thanks
Quote from Velociround :
1.0.2.0 (patch 1.2, [...] and added support for some wheel and joystick devices.[...]

Scratch that, they still don't support any type of axis on anything other than an 360 pad... The only thing to get it to work is to create a script that simulates constant button mashing in the driver software... The irony of it all is that axii(?) work fine on the consoles - somehow that was lost in the port...
Quote from Velociround :Problem is, it removes a lot of objects from the whole game map, making some streets desert, removing some of the hot dog vendors and resulting in some other ridiculous things

thats why it sucks badly, i hate that there is so little amount of places to eat
Quote from bbman :Scratch that, they still don't support any type of axis on anything other than an 360 pad... The only thing to get it to work is to create a script that simulates constant button mashing in the driver software... The irony of it all is that axii(?) work fine on the consoles - somehow that was lost in the port...

Quote from Rockstar Games about Patch 1.0.2.0 :Supported Controllers:
- Logitech Dual Action
- Logitech RumblePad 2
- Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
- Saitek P2500

Supported Wheels:
Note: Controls are unmapped, user must map controls using Manufacturer's mapping software.
- Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
- Logitech Wingman Formula GP Wheel
- Logitech MOMO Racing
- MOMO Force
- Driving Force Pro
- Driving Force
- Formula Force

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html

I just said what Rockstar affirmed
By the way, as far as I know, controls are unmapped in order not to cause bugs as in previous patch, because the wheel could move Niko randomly around, so without any button mapped it's just impossible to have these bugs again. I don't know about the axes though, I thought it really worked

Quote from batteryy :thats why it sucks badly, i hate that there is so little amount of places to eat

This is not even the biggest problem, I think it's even worse how many things they just removed from the game.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1077383#post1077383
I use 1.0.2. patch. Its fine for me, gamepad works good (RumbePad2), hell, even G25 can be used for steering ( No FFB obviously though)...
Quote from batteryy :holy i knew something was missing, it felt kinda boring to play the game since there isnt so much stuff around. is there anyway i could remove this patch? (i use xbox)

The patch isn't for the Xbox...
then what patches have i been downloading? when the live cable is on and you open the game sometimes it says something for the game should be donwloaded n'stuff

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG