The online racing simulator
TC sucks or doesn't?
(57 posts, started )
As has been said before the 2006 BMW Sauber has TC so suprisingly the simulated car has TC illepall There'd be far more complaints if it wasn't in and of course you can struggle round at the limits of human throttle control if you want to. What I'm most impressed about is the aggressive sound of the traction control (I assume it is simulated by firing the engine on less cylinders as IRL).

Quote :
The FZ50 is a different story, but not using the TC on the F1 is just imposing a handicap on yourself in every race. Teams wouldn't spend millions developing it if it didn't make the car go faster.

Running the safe race set I struggled to get the TC light to come on anywhere apart from flooring it in first, so it really doesn't make a big difference.
Quote from ajp71 :Running the safe race set I struggled to get the TC light to come on anywhere apart from flooring it in first, so it really doesn't make a big difference.

First corner in blackwood is the only time it comes on for me, and the consequences are dangerous if i turn it off and try to take the corner at the same speeds.
Quote from mkinnov8 :

Traction Control is there for a reason, to make things realistic. F1 has traction control, either race with it, or without it, or try a mix of it, but please, give it a few weeks before deciding if you like it or not.

Amen, you need to put some laps (a lot) in with different car/track combos to form an educated opinion, all different things seem alien at first, but persevere and you may change your mind
i also like driving without it more. but i have no problem with people who do use it that i'm racing against. i just find it a little weird that the engine holds back when i want to go out of a corner fast. maybe if i give it some time i will discover good racing with tc. and whoever said that about the sets is absolutely right. i already have a set that i just had to change to drive it without tc on. But i think with some practise u can be just as fast without . I even had a faster start over the field that gereraly was driving with tc on. to bad i lost it after a few sec .

-[TS]-jojo.
I really like the TC on the BF1. Part because it saves my ass and part because the stutter it creates in the engine is a sound i've heard so many times during F1 races and makes it more real for me.

Tried the FZ50 with TC and didn't like it because it didn't work with the way I drive that car. With the FZ50, i usually come up on a hard turn, turn the wheel in low gear and make the back step out and throttle steer it through. But with the TC it wants to help me and stops the slide widening my turning radius.
I like traction control. I find it far to hard to race even the V08 without it to be any fun. I wouldn't like to emagine the number of car pile ups at the start of each race if TC were banned The challange is to get around the track as fast as possible, not keep the car in a streight line (without TC, the challange for me would be the latter )

Isn't the F1 traction control delibertly simple? Does it just reduce the power when things start to get wobbly?
I for one am glad its there. I mean the car IRL has TC so the car in game has TC. No where near reaching arcade style. I think that the TC is done really well. As for people saying i dont want it ill turn it off. Thats just making hard for yourself. Im not the best set up maker, im more likely to be the worst. But i was playing about with the TC setting it so it didnt come on and i was driving, it was there jsut incase i press accel to much.
I havent tried the fz50 but i can see why its been put in that car. As the cars its based on IRL have it.
Quote from sdether :I really like the TC on the BF1. Part because it saves my ass and part because the stutter it creates in the engine is a sound i've heard so many times during F1 races and makes it more real for me.

yeah same here i love how realistic it sounds. i never knew what caused that sound untill i drove the sauberf1 in live for speed
with most roadcars, sportscars and supercars, traction control makes the cars less pleasurable to drive and slower. so that explains not liking tcs with the fz. the car is pretty easy to control without tcs
TC on the sauber arcadish?!? i can't believe it...illepall
I'm with Tristan on this one, I don't like the TC, it makes it far too easy to drive... I hope there will be an option for servers to ban the TC.
irl, dont the drivers use TC? sure it may be easy for you but i just got back from a few servers and most of the people were way off the pace of the leader. on a few blackwood servers a large majority of the players could barely get around the track in one minute.

maybe its the influx of newbies... i like the tcs. it seems realistic to me. if you look at rl telemetry it does to me anyways
I can't claim to know much about what the real racers actually use... As a lot of people seem to have said, they do seem to use it... I just don't like it... The FO8 doesn't have it, and this isn't much harder to drive.. I don't mind people using it, I'd just like to see a few servers where it was not allowed also, is that reasonable?

I guess if everyone is going to use it, then I'm going to have to re-enable it myself, as It is possible to go quite a bit faster with it on, I got 58.56 with it off, and 56s (approx) with it on.
I am using Traction Control!!!!!!!

Before you all go ha, let me explain - these new physics are very different in an OMFGITSSOMUCHBETTER kind of way, and I've got to learn the limits of the cars, tyres, physics etc. Thus I am driving with TC on, but doing my best to barely let the light come on, a bit like Jenson Button. Right now I am having to fall back on the TC to save the day now and again, but I'm confident in a few days I won't need it.

And real F1 drivers are big girls blouses, cos I say so. So there. BAH!
Why are you all complaining, if you're up against someone with heavy TC, they'll be slower just like in real F1. There is such a thing as too much TC and LFS lets you setup your car that way. Its in your best interests to learn to live with it but at the same time, not need it. Like Jenson Button as someone said above.
Crack
tristancliffe u know traction control is like crack right lol, u can get addicted to it

all of a sudden everyone loves tracktion control, i remmeber days of when everyone hated tracktion control and almost everyone is down wit it now
Well whatever our opinions on the morality of Traction Control are, this is the best TC system I've seen implemented into a game, and I think everyone agrees with me - which is why people seem to be praising TC, when in fact they're really praising how well the LFS Devs have done the TC for this car...with the tremendous support of the BMW-Sauber team.

I love how adjustable it is and that it is tied to setups, and that you can switch it off at the touch of a button. Jack it up for South City. Turn it off completely on KY Oval. Happy medium everywhere else. And it all gets saved so you don't have to keep adjusting it for different tracks all the time once you've found your favorite settings.

Like I said, whether TC is 'moral' or not will be debated to the end of time...but LFS has done a super job of making it realistic in-game.
I prefer raw mechanical beasts but I'll use technology if its there. Besides, since the real F1's have TC why is it a problem in our "real" F1 car?
i guess most of us hadnt fully realised before that a road cars tc and the one in an f1 are vastly different ... the tc is not a electronic nanny (though you can set it to be one) and it feels splendid
personally i finally understood how f1 drivers can drive with very short pedalways
TC is very great feature! It helps keyboard drivers like me A LOT!
TC is realism and it makes the car drivable and heaps of fun. I don't think anyone could keep it on the straight and narrow for an hour without it.

Get REAL, Get TC
Which is a fair comment, so you can TURN IT OFF . . . . . lol.

Edit - ~Damn. missed the post . . .

I spent a bit of time punting the F1 car around last night, man is that thing fast . . . Drove the FZR afterwards and boy is that thing slow . . . .

As a mouser if the BF1 didn't have TC then I would be screwed with it . . . . It's still a handful and still needs the reactions of superman but at least I can hustle it around the track without to much drama.

I think this is dramatic improvement over the previous version of LFS. All the game improvements have been considered and practical. Good on yer Devs, you've come up with the goods again and now I've got a whole new LFS to learn all over again . . . .

It's amazing, my setups are having to change completlty to take advantage of all this extra grip we have. It's great . . .
I like TC too maybe it helps the new players but you all want some challenge right ? if you are good at the game this will show with TC or without , it's good when you have many options and the way it works is remarkable
I love it.

It sounds and it feels just like the real thing, as far as I can tell from a F1 fan perspective. It adds another variable to the car set-up, and you need to adapt your driving style to it, and learn to use it to its full advantage. In real life some had/are having trouble with this, too. Just look at Barichello since he's moved to BAR, or Villeneuve last year.

I often wondered how the hell some drivers could keep their cars on the track while hustling them very hard at speed, well, now I have a better idea of why.

If you want to have races without it, why not just get with your team, or a bunch of racers you know and set that as a rule for a few races? We've done this with mandatory sets or passengers, so that shouldn't be a problem, really.
Bottom line here - real race cars have traction control, so a racing simulation should also have traction control.

Note that in real life, traction control, and no lift fast sequential shifters both take seconds off lap times, which is why they are used. Note that the traction control in LFS models the real ones where you set the amount of slippage. A driver might be able to maintain optimal slippage for a qualifying lap, but not for a 2 hour race.

You can always turn off traction control. The USA racing series Champ cars (formerly CART) and Nascar don't allow traction control. Some claim it's still being used secretively, but based on the higher number of spin outs in these series as opposed to other racing series, there aren't many that are cheating.

FIA F1, ALMS LMP, FIA GT1 classes allow traction control, but via the ECU only. A lot of European racing series, like the Dutch Supercar Challenge have no restrictions at all, so traction control uses ECU and individual wheel braking.

What isn't modeled in LFS yet, is the super fast (30ms to 50ms) no lift sequential shifters used in F1 and other racing classes.

I've posted links to videos in another thread.
TC = traction control right ?

Pardon me for the silly question, but can someone briefly explain what it does exactly ?
And, most important, if you have TC on in the BF1, will it make you faster or slower, or does that depend on track/car ?

TC sucks or doesn't?
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG