The online racing simulator
LFS Z demo 9th most downloaded this week....
I was looking for some demo's on www.gamershell.com and i looked at the 10 most popular demo's of this week to be downloaded and LFS is 9th) so we are slowly getting popular.
Quote from chunkyracer :No, no, no... You must be wrong... Didn´t you read this forum lately??!!! LFS is dead, gone, diseased, kaputt!... Or at least, some say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

ya the forums may be dead but this may shut up the people that think the forums and lfs is dead becuase its not if it was dead nobody would be on the forums or on LFS playing.
#4 - G!NhO
Nice Swiss
LFS might not be dead but it has definitively stalled while competitors are still going forward.

If the main cause is the sirocco, it makes it poor choice of devellopment from my point of view. I'm just absolutly not excited by this car even if it might be a good move from a marketing point of view.

Wherever this game ends, it would have been a great adventure for both the Devs and us the players.
Maelstrom, I thought you'd be more optimistic for a French guy !

At least we still have happy hours in the bars, so we can do something else instead of waiting for the Scirocco in front of the computer

Or you guys can come try my Hillclimb test server

BTW, Nice score for the LFS demo ! Do you know how many times it has been downloaded ?
130,512 since july 2, 2008 as well as 843 today. It's really not bad. Here's the interrogation I have, though.

Of all those people who download the demo here and there:

1. How many will uninstall it after a few days or leave it on their computer never to be played again?

2. How many will keep playing the demo regularly without paying to acquiring the full version?

3. How many will actually buy the full version?

These figures would be interesting to know, and now that demo players also need to register, I guess Scavier have a possibility of getting those numbers.
yea, would be nice to see how many buy the game per week :P
Well, from what I remember when I worked in the development branch of my ex company, when targeting a broad range of customers, it is very good if you manage to get 5% of those to buy your products. It's the standard good average return rate, so we can try to figure out what is th epurchase rate compared to the demo
Quote from boosterfire :130,512 since july 2, 2008 as well as 843 today. It's really not bad. Here's the interrogation I have, though.

Of all those people who download the demo here and there:

1. How many will uninstall it after a few days or leave it on their computer never to be played again?

2. How many will keep playing the demo regularly without paying to acquiring the full version?

These figures would be interesting to know, and now that demo players also need to register, I guess Scavier have a possibility of getting those numbers.

I'm not sure they even are overly bothered.
Another interesting figure to consider: should Scavier decide to change the way things are in the demo right now, whether by adding a time limit or some other form of limitation, what percentage of demo users would buy the full version instead of just say "oh, well, I'll just uninstall it then"?

Something else! I wonder what are the reasons demo users have not to buy the full version? They might:

1. Not want to spend money on it (for all sorts of reasons, from not having money to spend on entertainment at the moment or because their parents don't want to buy it for them, you know, that kind of stuff :tilt

2. Because they don't consider it good enough for them to actually buy it and that they want to reserve their money for something else (NFS? :really

3. Because the demo is enough for them and that they intend to keep playing it without ever buying the full version (even if those were billionaires they wouldn't buy it).

Now, the interesting thing is that there's basically nothing you can do about any of those three types of people not buying LFS. The first guy hasn't got money, and until he has got some, he won't buy it. The second guy will endlessly buy the endless series of NFS and will therefore never have any money to spend on a 'simulator with crappy graphics' (although this statement is arguably true :shy. Finally, the third guy will never buy it, whatever happens, because the demo is good enough to satisfy his entertainment desires.

So what type of people actually buy this thing!? Or we could see this another way: what pushes somebody to try the demo? They know it's a simulator, and since there are enough screenshots available to discourage the typical NFS buyer, who the hell were those 130,000 people that downloaded it since july 2008? Assuming the number of people who could potentially be interested in LFS is only growing because some kids discover an eagerness to test reality as they get older, the only ways LFS gains users are:

- When those kids get old enough to enjoy LFS.
- When people that didn't know LFS hear aboot it somewhere and decide to try it out.

Now, the kids being essentially broke until they're 15 or so, and their parents obviously not wanting to buy them videogames which will turn them into serial killers, they obviously fall into the #1 category found on top (they're virtually broke). People that don't know that LFS exists are presumably numerous, but since they don't know that LFS exists and that LFS doesn't get the same kind of marketing as, say, NFS does, they probably will keep on buying NFS. And now I've somehow turned this into a marketing argument.

Well, I feel like this is way too long and that I've lost myself along the way.

/ponder
Interesting post Booster..

I guess only the hard-core sim racing enthusiast buys LFS, as 90% of car racing games are designed for people with no sense of physics and realism.

I'm sure if LFS became "NFS like", with bolt on body kits etc (if it did I would die from agony), sales would double, triple, and beyond.
Quote from boosterfire :here and there:

1. 10%
2. 55%
3. 35%

imo.
LFS is consistently in the top downloads on Gamershell. I also doubt you'd see 5% success rate, perhaps more like 1% or 0.1%.
Quote from J@tko :More like
  1. 75%
  2. 20%
  3. 5%

Yeah, I think that's probably more accurate.
Yeah even less perhaps, because 5% means that 40 person today would have paid.

1% is 8, so perhaps even less.
You forgot

4. People that won't play it at all because they don't know how to unzip/install it...... 25%

Although that figure is probably generous.

/facepalm
Quote from JasonJ :You forgot

4. People that won't play it at all because they don't know how to unzip/install it...... 25%

/facepalm

Well, those who can't extract an exe, don't deserve to be able to play LFS :P Having that little knowledge about PCs means they would be just a pain in the ass all round.
Don't want to be rude, but simply it's the fact..

/facepalm

Yeah this is slightly too much. I'd say that it would be around 2 to 3%.

Probably of the older generation (60 to 75), but then are some people in LFS THAT old ?

/facepalm

Troll.

People who do not know how to unzip/install archives/installers, are the ones that don't have enough pc knowledge to download/to be wanting to download the software in the first place.

And 25%, wth?
Go palm something else.
Quote from Zen321 :Probably of the older generation (60 to 75), but then are some people in LFS THAT old ?

Of course there are. Don't you think you're being a little disrespectful here?

Just because a person is 70 years old it doesn't mean he/she is a moron or has never seen a computer in his life. Even before the PC (which, if I may remind it to you, it's already 30 yo) there were terminals and a number of people who worked with computers in business and academical environments as well.

I set up a linux box for a relative who's approaching 70 and another one keeps asking me and he's well in his 60s...

OTOH when I was a kid there were high hopes that all the new generations would learn to use a computer in the future.

Nowadays we are left with a bunch of teens who are not any better than their grannies! They can go on all day long tinkering on their iThings and electronical gadgets but using a computer is often a challenge to them beyond the most basic tasks.

Technically savvy people are a transversal group, age means relatively little to them.
Quote from Fuse5 :Troll.

People who do not know how to unzip/install archives/installers, are the ones that don't have enough pc knowledge to download/to be wanting to download the software in the first place.

And 25%, wth?
Go palm something else.

I guess lfstech should remove this because it's redundant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xaSSqfP1Y

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea to have that video available. Over the next few years as LFS approaches S3, there's going to be MANY more players that don't know the difference between C: and MyDocuments.
Just because there's a video there, doesn't mean that it's overtly helpful.

Tbh I agree with Fuse5, since IMO it's much harder to find, download and save a file than it is to extract it! Doesn't matter if they don't know the difference between C:\ and My Documents - Most of the time they're on the same drive! You can install LFS anywhere without issues.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG