The online racing simulator
Why not if it brought more people (new or old) online. I was looking for an interesting looking combo in the server list, but I had no luck and decided to go watch Emmerdale instead.
Quote from George Kuyumji :Please everybody I dont meant 'mods' like in rFactor, I mean mainly real life add-on TRACKS for LFS, no Physic mods, no car mods

Made by only 1 great modding Team in high quality only with one new track (1 version) every couple of months or so - no modding madness, no physic mods, no cars mods

This sounds good. I think there are plenty of exceptional talents to be found within this community to make some quality tracks, perhaps under the guidance of Eric or someone who is close to the developers.

I cant think of many things i would like to see changed in lfs, but i would like to see some new tracks added on a more frequent base!
Quote from Shadowww :NO.
S15/240SX/AE86/Lancer/whatever with XRT/FZ5 physics = FAIL.

I don't think MagnoT sees that....
#29 - 5haz
I'd love to see it.

When LFS is finished that is.
Quote from aceracer :I don't really understand how people can get bored with the content. Maybe I'm too old and slow, but I still haven't mastered any combo fully and I've been at this for 1.5 years now. Give me a car/track and 4 racers more or less my speed and I don't care where I race or how often I've done it.

So frankly, I think people just have short attention spans. I prefer to be good at 1 combo rather than crap at 15.

How many combos are you within .5 secs of the WR?

I think LFS is for dedicated racers. If you are 2 secs away from the WR and already looking for new tracks and cars maybe you're just not serious enough about it...

aceracer

P.S.: Yes I know this doesn't apply to everyone, and yes there are very very fast drivers out there who also get bored with LFS, but I would estimate that 90% is due to goldfishlike attention span with NFS tendencies

+1

I've only been on LFS for a short while and have already seen way too much complaining about lack of content. I guess I can kinda see how people who have been on LFS since the beginning may be bored, but for a newbie the current content is nearly overwhelming if you really think about it. On the surface it seems like there are only 7 tracks, but with all the different variations and reversals, there are really 50 tracks (not including autocross)! Combine that with 20 cars and that's nearly 1000 different combos (I say nearly because there are cars that aren't suited for rallycross...) Sure, many of the combos are very similar, but as aceracer said, How many are you within .5 sec of WR?
Adding more content/mods may attract previous LFS racers to return, but I doubt it would do much to attract new racers to LFS. To a new LFS racer (a reasonable person who doesn't have the attention span of a goldfish), there is plenty of content as is.
As I see it, the community cannot answer your question (although one wasn't actually posed, re-reading your opening post) and so far a negative answer towards any form of modding, for the time being, has been given in the past.

Keeping in mind that nothing has changed in the meantime that would facilitate the advance of modding, I doubt the answer would be any different and if there was some radical change I guess we'd find out about it regardless.

I seem to remember that offers have been made in the past to form some elite squad of supermodders, perhaps even with more tangible (as far as that's possible) material - or so was claimed.
LFS is good because it is finely tweaked, tuned, equilibrated, well coded. There is already a bunch of combination, not yet all type of cars but a good bunch. And as long as setup are widely open there is no need to add more cars. Just let the Devs work please.

edit: now that the first post has been edited, yes controlled new tracks could be a plus, even if, I think it will not happen.
ask the devs, the answer now is no, the answer at s3 final is maybe

no one can do anything about it really
Quote from Deesiel :+1

I've only been on LFS for a short while and have already seen way too much complaining about lack of content. I guess I can kinda see how people who have been on LFS since the beginning may be bored, but for a newbie the current content is nearly overwhelming if you really think about it. On the surface it seems like there are only 7 tracks, but with all the different variations and reversals, there are really 50 tracks (not including autocross)! Combine that with 20 cars and that's nearly 1000 different combos (I say nearly because there are cars that aren't suited for rallycross...) Sure, many of the combos are very similar, but as aceracer said, How many are you within .5 sec of WR?
Adding more content/mods may attract previous LFS racers to return, but I doubt it would do much to attract new racers to LFS. To a new LFS racer (a reasonable person who doesn't have the attention span of a goldfish), there is plenty of content as is.

I thought the same thing a year ago about people wanting new content. At some point though, most people do get to a point where the current tracks/cars will get old. Even I feel like I'm getting to that point after 2 years of playing. Its likely that taking a break for a while will get me back into LFS at some point though.

And for the whole you haven't mastered every combo thing, this is true. But a lot of people aren't hotlappers, and just don't enjoy that part of LFS, so hotlapping every single combo isn't really an option for everyone.

I also agree that new content will not attract new people, and you are right it would bring some old people back, at least for a period of time.
Quote from UncleBenny :I think that's because LFS has been around for a while and has gone without any new content(other than the FBM) for a long time. iRacing is still somewhat fresh, if it sat for a couple years with no new cars or tracks you'd see plenty of complaining over there too I bet. And it does seem like iRacing is coming out with new stuff on a somewhat regular basis.

Still, is that a reason to take the countless, quite clear refusals of Scavier any less serious than iRacing's EULA?

And the stuff from iRacing is of absolutely no relevance as you can't use it - unless you buy it (ironically not even then in half the cases)...
Quote from bbman :Still, is that a reason to take the countless, quite clear refusals of Scavier any less serious than iRacing's EULA?

And the stuff from iRacing is of absolutely no relevance as you can't use it - unless you buy it (ironically not even then in half the cases)...

Oh I'm not saying that LFS should open up for user-made content. In fact, I'm pretty against it as I think it would be a mess. All I'm saying is that is why you see complaining on the LFS forums and not iRacing, which is what the post I replied to mentioned.
Been gone over many times before.

And no, it shouldn't.
Quote from bbman :iRacing seems to manage fine without mods and with even less usable content than LfS... Both developers declared they would not (yet) open their game to mods, and yet I haven't seen you suggesting mods on the iRacing-forums...

Why here then?

What does this have to do with me and iRacing. Why should iRacing have add-on tracks when new content comes out in great quality every couple of weeks anyway. There are alot of things that I'm asking for in the iRacing Forums that are much better done in LFS like clutch modelling, Leagues etc. iRacing doesnt miss tracks, iRacing misses a huge bunch of other things, but what LFS is missing is real life tracks, and it could have it, as licenses and development are expensive, there is a big amount of talented people in the community, which if there work could be organised and directed into one common direction could bring the finest versions of the real life tracks out.

Quote from duke_toaster :
George's Idea has one major issue that would need answering : how would they get the licences?

Modding has always been a grey area regarding licenses, like all the real life versions of tracks for rFactor are not licensed.

Quote from aceracer :I don't really understand how people can get bored with the content. Maybe I'm too old and slow, but I still haven't mastered any combo fully and I've been at this for 1.5 years now. Give me a car/track and 4 racers more or less my speed and I don't care where I race or how often I've done it.

So frankly, I think people just have short attention spans. I prefer to be good at 1 combo rather than crap at 15.

How many combos are you within .5 secs of the WR?

I think LFS is for dedicated racers. If you are 2 secs away from the WR and already looking for new tracks and cars maybe you're just not serious enough about it...

aceracer

P.S.: Yes I know this doesn't apply to everyone, and yes there are very very fast drivers out there who also get bored with LFS, but I would estimate that 90% is due to goldfishlike attention span with NFS tendencies

I'm not a Goldfish with NFS tendencies And I'm also not within 0,5 sec of the WR. You say like as long as somebody is not within 0,5 sec of the WR he shouldnt talk on the matter and is not a dedicated racer.
But take the BMW F1 car out on any track, Aston or Blackwood, dont you think the car is awesome, for me its the best F1 car made in any sim ever, its a blast, and everything it does seems comprehensible, when you made a mistake you know exactly what you have done wrong and if you nail a corner it feels awesome, for the first time in a commercially available Sim an F1 car feels great.

But then you take this car on like Aston and you think, yeah this track is fun, but I want to hustle the car around the streets of Monaco, the LFS tracks doesnt do the car justice. You want to take the LFS F1 car around Monaco, Spa, Suzuka, you want to take the LX4 up the hill at Brands Hatch or a multiclass car race on the Nordschleife. We are missing out on these things and there is alot more potential in LFS then we see now.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :George has been around forever and seen his share of these threads, so I don't think he's suggesting the typical mods these threads are usually about. He has a point with mod groups like GPLEA, which produce content that is consistent with and of the same quality as the original content. Such a thing COULD be a positive addition to the LFS community (provided it's only tracks), but I don't think the devs will ever go for it, based on their past reactions.

Thanks. I would really hate to see LFS going down the rFactor route, rFactor has become the synonym for modding gone wrong. But modding can do alot of positive things for a Sim if its done in a controlled and organised fashion. I think physics or cars should not be played around with, it would be a mess, disrupt development and hardly anybody could do the cars or physics better then the devs anyway, but adding real life Tracks done properly by a dedicated and great programming Team from within the community with ties to the devs, and if its done in the right way, with the right group of people it would elevate LFS.
I do believe that a well mapped Nordschleife would boost LFS sales 10-fold....

Imagine the TBO's and the GTR's racing around as part of a 2 hour Endurance race with multiclass.. that'd be the only thing that I really wish LFS would have...

As for LFS modding, well.. yeah as George said.. it should be left to the devs. Leave the modding to the textureres and sound makers
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I do believe that a well mapped Nordschleife would boost LFS sales 10-fold....

Imagine the TBO's and the GTR's racing around as part of a 2 hour Endurance race with multiclass.. that'd be the only thing that I really wish LFS would have...

As for LFS modding, well.. yeah as George said.. it should be left to the devs. Leave the modding to the textureres and sound makers

Hey, don't make me dream. I love the track, unfortunately I have to drive it in rfactor. In LFS would be sooooo much better
If I really want it, I'll play it on GTR Evo or something, I wouldn't touch rFactor, even though the physics are quite similar.

Maybe one day, who knows.
Quote from Shadowww :NO.
S15/240SX/AE86/Lancer/whatever with XRT/FZ5 physics = FAIL.

You used to mod car models yourself.. why are you even speaking in these kinds of topics?

And why did you add me to your friend list. I'm still wondering why i accepted it.
Hey, no offense here to anyone, I didn't mean to say that anyone wishing for a new track wasn't a serious racer or didn't have the right to speak.

Let me try an analogy. I used to play Pac-Man and Gyruss and Ghost and Goblins (and a few others ) in the arcades. I would spend months, maybe years playing the same game over and over and over, perfecting it, getting hiscores, simply enjoying it.

These days I've been collecting arcade and console games for well over 15 years. I have over 40.000 of them.

So when I fire up the arcade machine, when there's friends over and a few beers, we play every game 5 mins. Then the next ... then the next ... and so on.

Fun? yeah! Necessary? No. If I just had a Galaga machine we'd have the same fun, we'd learn the game much better and we'd become much better at it. The experience would be much more intensive.

Maybe that makes sense to some - I understand that people look for new experiences.

Just tried to say: To me LFS has enough content right now to keep me going for years! No boredom in sight!

Cheers

aceracer
Quote from racer hero :NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo

i
Quote from Stiggie :You used to mod car models yourself.. why are you even speaking in these kinds of topics?

And why did you add me to your friend list. I'm still wondering why i accepted it.

Cause I am not modelling MASSEEV ZOOORST EXHAUSTS and TEH INTERCOOLAZ!!111 on non-turbo FZ5.

Also, I hate things like UBERWINGZ on 240bhp XRT.

Only things that I like to have is no spoiler for XRT / RB4 / FXO (but no-spoiler RB4 is with default exhaust not with 10" one) and open lights for XRG/XRT (cause they are meant to be open, look
Attached images
bah.jpg
Quote from aceracer :Hey, no offense here to anyone, I didn't mean to say that anyone wishing for a new track wasn't a serious racer or didn't have the right to speak.

Let me try an analogy. I used to play Pac-Man and Gyruss and Ghost and Goblins (and a few others ) in the arcades. I would spend months, maybe years playing the same game over and over and over, perfecting it, getting hiscores, simply enjoying it.

These days I've been collecting arcade and console games for well over 15 years. I have over 40.000 of them.

So when I fire up the arcade machine, when there's friends over and a few beers, we play every game 5 mins. Then the next ... then the next ... and so on.

Fun? yeah! Necessary? No. If I just had a Galaga machine we'd have the same fun, we'd learn the game much better and we'd become much better at it. The experience would be much more intensive.

Maybe that makes sense to some - I understand that people look for new experiences.

Just tried to say: To me LFS has enough content right now to keep me going for years! No boredom in sight!

Cheers

aceracer

Well writte post there mate
Yeah, good old arcade times, remember driving that USA Nascar game like probally 200 times at least, and it only got 3 tracks

But, even if I wanted to somewhat agree I can't. The pickup fun / addicting feeling you can get while playing arcade games does not apply on me when playing LFS. I surely loves it, and in start it was _TEH_ shit. But as time goes on, the same enviroments (tracks) starts to be borring. I can join a server and have great fun for 30 min - 1 hour, but then my interest wears off and I have to wait some days or a week before I want to touch it again.
Maybe it's a healthy thing, to do get obsessed by games, but I'll trust you this, give me some new tracks and I would be glued to LFS the rest of the month!
I think allowing one team to develop parallel upgrades for LFS would be extremely good, but I don't think the devs are up for this.

For example, look at the LFS RallyPack... It was supposed to be in development three years ago by a team, and in later interview with Victor, we learned that the project was dropped.

Three questions arise with this idea:
- How can you choose the right teal to do the job? The devs and the new team will obviously have different goals (including real-life tracks/how an official upgrade team would be considered in respect to the licensing legislation?).
- How will the devs be sure that the team won't suffer leak of the source code (that coule be sold/picked up by other developpers to upgrade their own product)?
- What return expectation would the new team get? Free, passionate work is good, but we can see what happened to the CTRA team (great job during those years btw). No material returns = less incentive to produce and less incentive to produce over time.
Quote from bbman :iRacing seems to manage fine without mods and with even less usable content than LfS... Both developers declared they would not (yet) open their game to mods, and yet I haven't seen you suggesting mods on the iRacing-forums...

Why here then?

You sounds silly.

Can`t George have an opinion on LFS who`s differs from iRacing?

I`m not for modding, but did you think about that LFS is OLD and iRacing is NEW? Mods suggestion only after 6 months of iRacing?.. Lets talk about it in 5 years time..

I`m not driving LFS anymore (apart from last thursday) and I dont HATE LFS (or the guys who is driving it) even i`m into iRacing ATM.
Quote from aceracer :I don't really understand how people can get bored with the content. Maybe I'm too old and slow, but I still haven't mastered any combo fully and I've been at this for 1.5 years now.

No you can`t understand that because you have only been here since 2007. Thought about the guys who has raced it since 2002/03? Lets talk about it 4 or 5 years time from now on, ok?

I didn`t answered you because i`m not satiesfied with LFS, I answered you because you can`t understand why SOME can get bored by it. Ok if we gonna talk about it we should maybe only count from S2 in 2005 and then i`m still almost 2 years ahead of you..

I don`t wanna complain about LFS, i`m sure it has a bright future...
Since 02/03 we got:
MRT
UF1
BF1
FBM
RAC
UFR
XFR
FXR
XRR
FZR
FOX