The online racing simulator
Does the threat of terrorism bother you?.
(55 posts, started )
I am off to Egypt in May, and will be going to various places, numerous people have said to me, ohhhhooohh, Egypt, dodgy, I wouldn't go there, what about all the bombings/killings of tourists over the last few years.

To me, life is all about risks, you risk your life everytime you step out your front door, into your shower etc etc, so I definately wouldnt let it stop me going somewhere I want to go.

Does it affect you?, would you not go somewhere/do something because of this type of fear?
Quote from danowat :To me, life is all about risks, you risk your life everytime you step out your front door, into your shower etc etc, so I definately wouldnt let it stop me going somewhere I want to go.

Yup, I too live with risk every single day. I don't have time to eat breakfast then take a shower, thus I bring the toaster into the shower with me and make my toast for breakfast. Livin life in the fast lane...
#3 - Bean0
These would be the same people who happily wandered about London or other parts of the UK when the threat from the Irish was very real a couple of decades ago ?
I read somewhere that there are more people killed slipping in the shower than (something you'd think killed a lot of people).

I dunno, I just think if you lived in fear of everything you'd never emerge from under your duvet.

Quote from Bean0 :These would be the same people who happily wandered about London or other parts of the UK when the threat from the Irish was very real a couple of decades ago ?

Yup, and they are the same people who own motorbikes, and who drive cars etc etc.

Its mental I know, but some peoples mentalities aren't logical......
Back in 2001, my aunt and uncle and cousins were going to go on holiday to Egypt but decided against it, due to the threat of terrorism, so they went to New York instead. This was in early September...
Quote from Crashgate3 :Back in 2001, my aunt and uncle and cousins were going to go on holiday to Egypt but decided against it, due to the threat of terrorism, so they went to New York instead. This was in early September...

I LOL'd at that, nice one, bet they didn't think that was such a logical decision after the "event".
I'd rather be worried being kidnapped by some thugs than being killed by terrorists while traveling abroad.

Don't travel thought, but that's mainly because lack of funds than being afraid.
The so called "threat" of terror is mainly a means for governements to reduce the freedom of their citizens.

In reality, you'r more likely to win the lottery than to be victim of a terrorist act, even in Egypt.
Well, having lived there for 9 years, I wouldn't really be concerned. Although, I may be half Egyptian, I'm considered as a complete foreigner, because of my Irish side.

Strange as it may sound, I'm personally concerned about going back there. I wouldn't define Egypt as a danger zone compared to its neigbouring countries. Its a much more serene place.

If there was one thing that I would warn you about, it would be prejudice. A lot of people there like to generalise, linking nationalities with governments (like an American could be talked to badly and disrespectfully, simply because of Bush's cock up, it may be similar with the British as well since our old friend Tony joined in on the party). That said, there is also the other, more pleasant side which is defined in Arabic as, in phonetic English, "Okdat el Aganeb" which literally translates as "Foreigner Complex". Basically, its exactly like Yellow Fever except with Europeans. I can tell you, if you meet any people like that, they'll most likely cling to you and want to be best friends.

Finally, in terms of transport, don't let them taxi drivers over charge you! I once knew a guy who spent 120 EGP on a journey which only costs 20-25 EGP (from Madinat Nasr (or Nasr City) to Medan Tahrir (Tahrir Square).
Quote from danowat :I LOL'd at that, nice one, bet they didn't think that was such a logical decision after the "event".

They ended up stranded there for two weeks more than they intended, as all the flights out of the country were grounded for weeks.
Quote from danowat :I am off to Egypt in May, and will be going to various places, numerous people have said to me, ohhhhooohh, Egypt, dodgy, I wouldn't go there, what about all the bombings/killings of tourists over the last few years.

To me, life is all about risks, you risk your life everytime you step out your front door, into your shower etc etc, so I definately wouldnt let it stop me going somewhere I want to go.

Does it affect you?, would you not go somewhere/do something because of this type of fear?

I am with you on that. You live to die, and I've always maintained, if you are going to do so, why not spectacularly.

Have fun in Egypt.
No... not many ******* around me.
Of course I fear terrorists.....

...I assume when you say terrorists, you mean my ex who still wants to chop of my mini me. (never answer that question, Does my butt look big in this? after a discussion about honesty)
I've heard some pretty brutality stories, but they are always a rare event over hyped to try and strike fear into people.

Go to Egypt, get a killer tan and have a shit load of fun in the process, however if you have expensive shoes (Nike, Adidas, etc) don't leave them in the shoe lockers at a Mosque, or they will get stolen.
Not nearly as much as the government is scaring me
i wouldnt be scared, theres pretty little chance that the bomb hits to the place you are in and at the time you are there assuming that you wont go to any place with some goverment ppl? i think terrorists attack mainly to people they want to kill, not random bomb in a city
Quote from batteryy :think terrorists attack mainly to people they want to kill, not random bomb in a city

They want to people random people in a city. Therefore, allegedly, we're all targets if they don't like our way of life.
#18 - 5haz
Terrorism works by terrorizing people and so disrupting normal life, one way to beat terrorism is to refuse to be terrorised and disrupted, and the terrorists will have failed in their attempt to 'terrorise'.

I know its a very hard thing to do though.

There are more important things in life right now, like going on holiday and enjoying yourself.
#19 - DeKo
not at all. as a nation, the scottish generally seem not to be bothered by all the terrorism pish. look at what happened when they had a go at glasgow airport
Terrorism is part of life now, no where in the world are you 100% secure. We can however decide how much we are going to let it rule our actions. Egypt is quite safe aslong as you use your head. You mentioned before you were visiting Sharm el Sheikh, the Egyptian government has invested heavily on security in all the tourist destinations and none so more heavily than here. Nearly all the tourists destinations/hotels now have their own security personnel, sniffer dogs, metal detectors etc and on top of that their is the heavy armed police presence all around the city. be vigilant and not too trustworthy and you'll be fine. As soon as you've seen the reefs you wont look back
Quote from 5haz :one way to beat terrorism is to refuse to be terrorised and disrupted

Another way is to not fund them or give them weapons.

You're more likely to die in the plane on the way to Egypt.

Government scares me more.
What threat?
The thread of terrorism bothers me, since it's pretty useless.
Quote from Rdcranno :Terrorism is part of life now

Really? Since when? Surely this would have been in the news.

Quote from Rdcranno :no where in the world are you 100% secure.

Bullshit. Secure is a state of mind, not location. And anyway there are plenty of locations which would be completely safe from any 'terrorist attack'.

Quote from Rdcranno :Nearly all the tourists destinations/hotels now have their own security personnel, sniffer dogs, metal detectors etc and on top of that their is the heavy armed police presence all around the city.

All that is about the illusion of security. Completely worthless. Privacy invasion doesn't make you safe. Taking one's shoes off and only having 2 oz of shampoo instead of 8 doesn't make you safe.

An increasingly militarized police force is a threat to liberty and to the lives of citizens.
The point isn't that I am afraid of going anywhere, I am not, I am terrified of flying, however, I would NEVER let that stop me going anywhere, I just wouldn't, likewise, I am not to going let anything (i.e. terrorism) stop me doing anything.

My point was, there are obviously people who this does affect, and I just wondered how widespread this fear was, I know the LFS forum isnt a decent demographic, however, there are some diverse characters here and its nice to get some feedback.

I am born of the opinion that governments use the threat of terrorism to control thier population.

(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG