The online racing simulator

Poll : Remove quoting of images?

Yes
No
[Forum] removing ability to quote images
If it's been suggested before I apologise, I've seen it a few times mentioned in posts but haven't seen a dedicated thread for it!

Nothing is more irritating when people decide to quote images (often rather large ones!), which often cause my browser to slow down, and also having to scroll down past images that have already been seen, thus doubling (and more!) the length of the page.

Not all of us have super fast connections.

If there is a way for me to disable it in my ForumCP I'd love to know, I have had a quick look to no avail.

So yeah, thoughts? + and - pl0x.
Perhaps an option in the users CP to ignore quoted images.

Mind you, people like Irishnoob and others who quote humongous images annoy the living daylights out of me.
I have view images disabled by default. Makes it much handier to navigate, especially when BMPs and 90000x90000 pictures are involved.

Otherwise, I think quoted pictures should be allowed, but they should be automatically resized to, say, 500x500. That way they actually fit in the quote box
#4 - Bean0
There's a rather good vB mod that resizes the image using javascript.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184571

Users can set max size before resizing takes place in their UserCP, or choose not to resize at all.
It still loads the full size image though so no bandwidth saving or decrease in page load time.
What about a ban on all images that are more than a certain (sensible) file size or physical size? BMPs ought to be banned from the internets although they do have their uses (saving with no compression at all).
#6 - CSU1
I'm happy for IMG links to be converted to URL links upon quoting. It's what I seem to keep changing in people's posts anyway.
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm happy for IMG links to be converted to URL links upon quoting. It's what I seem to keep changing in people's posts anyway.

Yup, something like that would be brill, just so it doesn't requote the actual images.
if image size is less than 640 x 480 > quote, told Shadowww from netbook with 10"
if image size is bigger > transform to URL.
Yes! What you do Bob, should be done by script. To save your time for VHPA

Also I would like to hide quotatons of people from my ignore list. They are often quoted in the next post. Thanks you Murphy.
I'm all for it, for massive images anyway.

I like the resizing VB script idea too - maybe stuff over about 200x200 should be resized so you don't end up with people quoting enormous pictures but you still get to see what they're actually talking about without having to click on something else or open a new window.
I haven't had this problem before, maybe because i did this?

Click private messages, edit options, scroll down about and untick the box.
Attached images
FORUMSSS.JPG
Quote from Racer325 :I haven't had this problem before, maybe because i did this?

Click private messages, edit options, scroll down about and untick the box.

But some people (eg, me) want to see the attachment previews, and any sensible sized IMG tagged images.

The problem is when people post large images using IMG tags, especially in the finished skins threads where others then go on to quote the massive images just to add a 'Nice Skin' comment.

Edit: I prefer setting these options
Attached images
image resizer options.JPG
I can always see attachment previews there's always useally a Image shack link or somthing like that.
Quote from Racer325 :I can always see attachment previews there's always useally a Image shack link or somthing like that.

So you can't see the preview then...just the URL.
Then click the url and the picture loads up?

instead of people quoteing large images, turn that off and they would be quoting links to the picture, if you wanna see the picture you would click on the links?

and i missing somthingg :P
Quote from Racer325 :Then click the url and the picture loads up?

instead of people quoteing large images, turn that off and they would be quoting links to the picture, if you wanna see the picture you would click on the links?

Yes i do that always i dont see the trouble in that.

This is juts useles topic becaus of people not wanting to addept their forum option...(becaus they just want it their way and contineu to maon over every single smal and blindingly stupid thing)
Lazy B&sterds
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm happy for IMG links to be converted to URL links upon quoting.

Exactly my thought.
Quote from Racer325 :Then click the url and the picture loads up?

Exactly what I do. If I want to view something, I'll know what it is, and I can just click on it to open. Must have saved me gigs of bandwidth over the years
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Not all of us have super fast connections.

Sorry.. One thing...What has connection speed got to do with it? Once it's downloaded first time, it's cached.
Nothing - really... but it then has to display it several times which can make it seem that it's taking much longer to load. I have a Q6600 so I hardly think it's my CPU being unable to keep up either.
Well it's fine you want this option available. I don't care myself either way, but just stating reasons that are not reasons, .... well I think you know what I'm saying.

kthnxbai
Mmmhm.

But I think it does require more processing time when you have to load a 1028x768 HD picture 8 times because someone's quoted it just to say "nice cool".
I don't care about processing time or anything, I just don't like having to scroll past the same image over and over and over again when the quote adds nothing new.

[Forum] removing ability to quote images
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG