The online racing simulator
Upgrading
(22 posts, started )
Upgrading
Going to upgrade my PC can anyone recommend me what i need?
Just so i can play COD 4 / LFS with 20+ AI cars on max with no lag.
I haven't really got a budget, but i'm not going to spend silly (Upto 200£ or so)
Going to find out the PSU later or tomorrow
System
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
Processor 4000+ 2.10ghz
1gig of ram

Graphics card Nvidia 8500GT
Get something dual core and have 2GB of ram.

There are so many different graphics cards for various prices it'd be best if you said "hey what about this one" and we said Yes or no.
Should i get a 1 or 2 gig ram extention

and what about a ATI 4850 ?
I wouldn't recommend a 4850 myself...

I'd rather go for a GTX260 ! ... tbh you are going to end up spending £200 on a decent graphics card, try doubling your £200 budget to around £450 for a decent CPU, Ram, Mobo, GFX and PSU combo!
#5 - dadge
I say you should start saving money for a new computer rather than throwing money at your old one. I did that for too many years and the computer in question never really got any better. On the other hand, another 2GB of RAM would definitely give you an instant boost in everything, so that's the only upgrade I recommend, particularly since RAM is very cheap these days.
Well i have enough money to buy atleast 4 GTXS but, i'm saving up for a new car so i can't spend it on my computer .

So, i'm going to buy a 2gb of ram
what graphics card should i get, ive looked at reviews about a nvidia 9600gt
but they say the 4850 is better
:bump:

Anyone?
get a Nvidia 9800GT im rly happy with it and its a good price
Quote from Racer325 :Well i have enough money to buy atleast 4 GTXS but, i'm saving up for a new car so i can't spend it on my computer .

So, i'm going to buy a 2gb of ram
what graphics card should i get, ive looked at reviews about a nvidia 9600gt
but they say the 4850 is better

9800 is a good budget card from what I've read, but personally I'd rather save for a quality product that will last you much longer.
+1 with shiny_red_cobra. You better save for a brand new computer rather than putting a 4870 or a 295GTX in your older computer. What makes a PC a good PC is the whole assembly. It's not worth getting a 300£ GPU if your CPU, PSU and RAM can't follow.
Well can anyone give me some links to some stuff

Like what i'll need to run most games on max like crysis maybe too

and with a sensible price
i did....
Woops sorry, never saw your post!

If i bought that, what FPS would i get? on lfs maxed 20+ AI cars South city?

And would there be alot of improvement if i bought a ati 4850?
i had a amd 4800 (duel core) with 2gb of DDR1 ram. i had a nvidia 7600GT and that ran lfs, arma, tigerwoods 07 & 08 at very playable FPS.
now i have an AMD 5600 (duel core), 8gb of DDR2 ram and a nvidia 8800GT (512mb) and i am more than happy with the FPS on all the games i play (max setting on mirrors edge)
i can set the view distance in arma to 10km with everything on max and i still get very good FPS. anyone who has played arma will understand the need for performance when having that bad boy maxed out.
with the setup i posted, you will never get below 30fps on a full grid (online). with v-sync on you usually climb back up to 60fps by about T2/T3
unfortunatly, i don't use ATI (haven't for years) so anything i tell you about it would not be accurate or fair to ATI users. Mr Cobra uses ATI i think. the £200 budget was easier to keep to than i thought. i hope it fits your request for the upgrades for that price.
oh aye, before i forget, you might need a PSU to power your new graphics card. the specs of the card you are planning on purchasing should tell you if you need more the x ammount of watts to run..
Also, what will this new motherboard do?/help improve

Keep forgeting to open up pc and take a pic of the PSU, should do it tomorrow. With that Proccesor link, is it worth getting a better one so, i wouldn't have to upgrade again for quite awhile

What wattage should the psu have atleast ?
well, you can't run DDR2 on a DDR1 machine. i am assuming you have a DDR1 board (i could be wrong).
the board i linked you to is a AM2 board which supports DDR2. if you already have an AM2 board then happy days. money saved.
Ah i see so i would need a DDR2 mobo to support that ram?

and, how do i check if i have ddr2 or not

And what processor would you recommend, if i was to get better then that 3.00ghz+ ?

What about this card instead of the 9800 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... duct.php?prodid=GX-117-XF

the 9800 has a nicer wright up to it though
Quote from Racer325 :Well can anyone give me some links to some stuff

Like what i'll need to run most games on max like crysis maybe too

and with a sensible price

You will need more then my rig to play Crysis at max. Well, if you want more then 20fps
And Bose's rig is well over your budget already.
But then again, I played Crysis very happily on High with shaders and shadows on medium (which as a bi-product also solved the weird disappearing shadow problem) on my rig, it would play on max although the FPS was choppy when there was any sort of serious rendering on screen. It wasn't noticeably better quality. My rig came in at about £400, that was new Mobo, Ram, PSU, GFX and CPU. And a case.
Quote from dadge :with the setup i posted, you will never get below 30fps on a full grid (online). with v-sync on you usually climb back up to 60fps by about T2/T3

Really? I get that kind of performance out of a 2.7GHz DC Opteron and a 6600GT. Guess the GPU counts even less than I expected

Upgrading
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG