The online racing simulator
Sit back and enjoy the ride...
(102 posts, started )
Have you ever wanted to enjoy LFS at a more leisurely pace?

Does the constant accelerating/braking/cornering test your concentration?

Ever fancied cruising at 55mph around South City in comfort?

Then why not try these 11 lovingly recreated authentic road-driving setups, complete with furry-dice*

*furry-dice not included

More usefully, you can compare the cars in LFS to their on-the-road counterparts, rather than using race-tuned setups.

Just for fun.
Attached files
Road Going Setups rev5 (S2P2).zip - 2.3 KB - 5571 views
Road Going Setups rev6 (S2U).zip - 2.8 KB - 3442 views
Road Going Setups rev7 (S2 06A).zip - 2.6 KB - 2298 views
Awesome work!
But I consider it's your fault I was late from work today.
Damn addicting
Ah ha, it takes 200 downloads to get a response. Better than not at all I suppose.
(that said there was a fair bit of feedback from the RSC thread)

Thanks.
#4 - avih
great sets bob. i really like them to explore a new track/car combo
These just proves that Bob really knows about setupping a car. Impressed me much. (Tho it wasn't a big surprise after reading your comments here..)

Thanks again. I also love your setup guides
#6 - jtr99
Much appreciated
Hi, Bob.

I enjoy these setups a lot. Thanks for making them public. It's fun to see what my road car would do if I had the nerve to chuck it around they way I do in LFS.

Cheers,
--JTR.
I'll really have to check if cars in "road-like configuration" in LFS are as understeering as my IRL car... Can be funny to have a race with smooth shock, high ride heigth and lazy brake. Maybe I could finish at another place than last.... (being a newbie driver is not grateful : you drive your best and stay 2 seconds behind other pilots... quite exhausting)
#8 - ORION
Quote from Bob Smith :Ah ha, it takes 200 downloads to get a response. Better than not at all I suppose.
(that said there was a fair bit of feedback from the RSC thread)

Thanks.

I guess everyone was still driving around in the lfs world
OK after a PM by Tege I've looked over the setups and a couple were a touch soft, so I've updated accordingly.

For the curious, these are the spring frequencies as used in rev5 of the setup pack.

Car - Rear / Front
UF1 - 1.5Hz / 1.6Hz
XFG - 1.5Hz / 1.6Hz
XRG - 1.45Hz / 1.55Hz
XRT - 1.6Hz / 1.75Hz
RB4 - 1.6Hz / 1.7Hz
FXO - 1.65Hz / 1.75Hz
LX4 - 1.6Hz / 1.9Hz
LX6 - 1.8Hz / 2.0Hz
RAC - 1.75Hz / 1.9Hz
FZ5 - 1.65Hz / 1.7Hz

#10 - Tege
Ok my analysis on these setups. Firstly I still think that they are bit too soft and have too much bodyroll. Reason for opinion is that IMO the cars in LFS are sporty cars not comfortable cruisers. So if you want make setups like they would be if these cars were real here's what I think:

UF 1000: This car is close to old Mini and those cars dont' have soft suspensions and they have quite stiff ride (someone who knows more about Minis correct me if I'm wrong).

XF GTi: This car is a hot hatch not a moms shopping cart. Nowdays hot hatches don't have much bodyroll.

XR GT: Beside the looks this should be kinda sporty car also.

XR GT Turbo: This set isn't too bad. Maybe bit more ARBs and stiffer dampers.

RB4 GT: Diff locks all the way. Maybe open front diff like Lancer Evo used to have (is allready like that). Center visco is ok but more locking for rear. Imprezas and Evos aren't that soft.

FXO Turbo: I think this car would have some kind of locking diff and stiffer suspension.

LX4: A bit too soft and LSD wouldn't be a bad idea.

LX6: A bit too soft and need more locking on diff.

RA: Hmm maybe better that I won't say anything about this

FZ50: This is supposed to be 911 GT3 which is stiff and has more locking in diff. This car can't be made to drive as good as the modern 911s because of the unfinished physics. (same goes for RA aswell and some other cars).
OK.

My dad used to have a few Minis, and they were very bouncy. I put this down to being a bit under-damped more than the springs being particularly stiff. It was a 50s family car after all. Something like the UF GTR would obviously be a different story. Also don't forget we have perfect dampers in LFS, which do act reasonably differently to real life dampers (just like those graphs you pm'd me with Tege).

Calling the XF GTi a "hot hatch" by todays standards is a bit much, consider the hatchbacks on sale now. It's still a bit warm, but your average "shopping cart" rolls all over the place, more-so than this GTi setup.

I kept the XR GT softer than the Turbo so that there was some more difference between them, the Turbo does LOOK a lot more like a sports model than the GT so I made it FEEL sportier as well.

Evos/Imprezas probably use Torsen diffs which can have much higher locking values without a negative impact to the handling. Since those diffs aren't available in LFS yet I have to compromise.

The FXO already has the stiffest suspension of the Turbo trio, but I doubt it would have an LSD (considering it's very similar to an Astra Coupe).

My Dad also built a Westfield some years back so I can assure you that setup is reasonably accurate. Once I watched him drive up the road with just him in it, and you could see that the car was lower on the drivers side than on the passengers side (and this was from 30m away). As a basic car it did not have an LSD or anti-roll bars. The LX6 is more like a racier model, so it gets a sportier package. It's already the stiffest setup in the pack. It also has enough diff locking to prevent inside wheelspin (well, just about) - any more than this and you're just making the car oversteer more under power (not something the car needs).

The FZ50 is NOT a Porsche so you can only use the 911 settings as a guide, you can't take them literally. I doubt unsprung masses match for starters (so there's more to think of than you might at first think).

#12 - Tege
Quote from Bob Smith :My dad used to have a few Minis, and they were very bouncy.

Yeah bouncy is the right work for old Minis but UF doesn't feel like that. I'm not saying it supposed to be like old minis but more like todays version of the original concept.

Quote from Bob Smith :Calling the XF GTi a "hot hatch" by todays standards is a bit much, consider the hatchbacks on sale now. It's still a bit warm, but your average "shopping cart" rolls all over the place, more-so than this GTi setup.

I know today hot hatches have about 200hp but we have to remember that they weight a lot more than GTI. So the weight/power is quite close.

Quote from Bob Smith :Evos/Imprezas probably use Torsen diffs which can have much higher locking values without a negative impact to the handling. Since those diffs aren't available in LFS yet I have to compromise.

Actually EVOs have active diffs and torsen front. Impreza has same kind of diffs but not as sophisticated.

Quote from Bob Smith :The FXO already has the stiffest suspension of the Turbo trio, but I doubt it would have an LSD (considering it's very similar to an Astra Coupe).

Ok that's true not many FWD cars have LSD... couple tuning companies versions have them though (but FXO is "stock").

Quote from Bob Smith :My Dad also built a Westfield some years back so I can assure you that setup is reasonably accurate. Once I watched him drive up the road with just him in it, and you could see that the car was lower on the drivers side than on the passengers side (and this was from 30m away). As a basic car it did not have an LSD or anti-roll bars. The LX6 is more like a racier model, so it gets a sportier package. It's already the stiffest setup in the pack. It also has enough diff locking to prevent inside wheelspin (well, just about) - any more than this and you're just making the car oversteer more under power (not something the car needs).

Ok they just seem stiffer from the vids I've seen. (LSDs are an option for all Westfields.)

Quote from Bob Smith :The FZ50 is NOT a Porsche so you can only use the 911 settings as a guide, you can't take them literally. I doubt unsprung masses match for starters (so there's more to think of than you might at first think).

I'm not saying that FZ=Porsche but values from Porsches are a good quide to build a real setup to FZ.
Quote from Tege :
Actually EVOs have active diffs and torsen front. Impreza has same kind of diffs but not as sophisticated.

OK I was just guessing, but there we go. Roll on more diff types.

Quote from Tege :
Ok they just seem stiffer from the vids I've seen. (LSDs are an option for all Westfields.)

There's so many different Seven clones they're bound to vary a lot. Then you consider that lots of them are built by the owners, who can do whatever they want (so long as they want to get it through the SVA, that is), so there's no right values at all really. Unless you want to email Caterham and find out what they fit by default. Anyway that's why I used a fairly soft set for the LX4 (typical of the car being built on the cheap), and the LX6 owner/builder obviously had deeper pockets and was keen on track days.

Quote from Tege :
I'm not saying that FZ=Porsche but values from Porsches are a good quide to build a real setup to FZ.

Isn't that what I said? So we're in agreement then.
Veeeeeerrrry fun stuff man, I always cruise in the Hard Track setup but these setups are the real deal thanks man
Yep very nice, oh I see a lot of places saying the UF is a Mini? I always thought it was some sort of Renault 5, (well at least the UF GTR looks exactly like one)
Well it looks very similar to a mini and has a 1 litre engine. TBH it can be anything you want it to be. But you can't deny it wasn't at least partially inspired by the good old Mini.

Anyway glad to see the sets are proving popular.
i thought i would give it a go and then make a post... but then i thought NAH, ill post and then give it a go.
Bob, these sets rule! The LX6 set on south city is so much fun
Excellent setups! They really feel like street cars. Great job.
#20 - Woz
Quote from Bob Smith :Well it looks very similar to a mini and has a 1 litre engine. TBH it can be anything you want it to be. But you can't deny it wasn't at least partially inspired by the good old Mini.

Anyway glad to see the sets are proving popular.

I would say the UF1 is based almost 100% on the classic mini. Sure the front is not the same but then the devs dont want to pay licence fees etc so understandable.

As for soft ride etc. I have an original spec 1.1ltr 1977 Mini Clubman, no up-rated anything and I can say that yet the suspension is very soft and there is body roll.

Quote from Tege :UF 1000: This car is close to old Mini and those cars dont' have soft suspensions and they have quite stiff ride (someone who knows more about Minis correct me if I'm wrong).

The classic mini does have soft suspension. You might have been in a number of Mini's but how many had been tweaked. Its hard to find a Mini that has not had performance and running gear upgrades. My brother is law has a Clubman Estate with 1.3ltr turbo engine (150bhp) that has a very stiff harsh ride on big rubber and handles like a demon. Mine on the other hand is stock and I get loads of roll etc and can get the wheels to step out etc without too much effort.

BTW Bob has created a set of easy race setups as well that might be more what you are looking for. Treated as road going, I think these are great setups and are the best introduction someone can get to LFS IMHO. They have loads of warning before the car is too far out of shape.
Finally, updated for the new physics that shipped with patch S. Hopefully more realisitic than ever. Still no fury dice though.... I'm working on that.

By request I also added road-esque setups for the XF GTR and UF GTR. Not sure how well they work, the cars aren't really designed to be run that soft, but they're in the zip for you to play with.

Enjoy
#22 - Jakg
nice - how did you edit your post without it saying "Edited By"?

Quote from Bob Smith :I'm a mod.

Like this, see.

Bob
I'm a mod.
#24 - Jakg
- thanks anyway, look forward to using these sets only to understeer into a hedge!
I see Uni is keeping you very busy! Will give these sets a try... not tried your road going sets before..

(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG