The online racing simulator
Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
Quote from Linsen :I stopped racing in LFS long before I subscribed to iRacing. I had gotten bored with LFS, because even the occasional race on CTRA servers felt pretty much pointless (no pun intended). The races seemed meaningless and I didn't have the time for leagues. It all seemed so random. Add the slow progress on top of that, and, as I only recently came to realize, the fact that all cars and/or tracks seemed to feel generically the same to me and lacked character, and there you have why LFS was dead for me.

iRacing re-ignited my passion for sim racing and hence didn't kill LFS. But it will keep me from coming back to LFS.

I hate the pricing of iRacing. I think an "in between model" between LFS an iRacing could score big. iRacing is to expensive for people that occasionally drive in a league, but in LFS people who paid in 2004 still get free updates. That can't be good for continuasy of the game. I think LFS biggest problem is the lifespan. They should introduce an S3 update in 2006, an S4 update in 2008 and in 2010 an S4 update. A lot of users would be willing to pay again and the developers can migrate to newer techniques.
Quote from xaotik :Fellow forum members, I call upon you to join me in a collective sigh and shaking of the head in the direction of thisnameistaken.

Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Adding to that, Can we also include the /facepalm also before the shaking ?

Screw that....i'll get me shotgun

I can be in York by 9
Quote from Mazz4200 :Screw that....i'll get me shotgun

I can be in York by 9

I'll get the kettle on, and lubricate and re-set the traps.

I'm on Bootham, mine's the house with the clear view of the road for half a mile in both directions.
Quote from three_jump :Do you still play it?

stunts or mi?
mi i usually play through 1 and 2 every year or so
as for stunts im afraid crashday totally ruined that fond memory
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'll get the kettle on, and lubricate and re-set the traps.

I'm on Bootham, mine's the house with the clear view of the road for half a mile in both directions.

Huh ! wish i'd known that before i set off.

Before i left, i watched that vid in the other thread so i knew who to look for. So i've spent the last 3 hours searching every soup kitchen, YMCA and gay club in the town. And there you were, sitting at home, lubeing your traps :rolleyes:

But at least we know where you live now.....just be careful opening your mail over the next few days.....that's all i'm gonna say
Quote from Mazz4200 :Before i left, i watched that vid in the other thread so i knew who to look for. So i've spent the last 3 hours searching every soup kitchen, YMCA and gay club in the town.

If you'd just asked in any of those places they'd have been able to tell you where I live. You suck at assassination.
Like many others have said, I don't think iRacing itself "killed" off LFS.

LFS isn't dead. But my interest in it is on a life support machine. Steadily beeping and breathing away, until I decide to pull the plug - literally - the transformer for my Logitech DFP. It sits, unplugged from USB on the floor, wondering what will come first. A reason to plug it back in, or the desire to tidy it away back into it's box in the cupboard?

I suspect iRacing has taken a few key, long-term, veteran racers from LFS. More casual racers, such as myself - well I got bored of the same old stuff. I got bored of going round the same corners again and again. I got bored of struggling to find populated race servers running something other than GTR@AS3 or FOX@BL1 - the CTRA was the only saviour with it's enforced track changes, but now that is gone. Even cruise servers provide an amusing distraction when too drunk or bored to concentrate on racing properly, but ultimately you get tired of playing with kids.

Three or four years ago when S2 was released, it felt like I was racing amongst adults and fellow racing enthusiasts that generally just wanted a good clean scrap on the track. As LFS has grown, that feeling has been diluted to the extreme and public, un-adminned servers can be a lottery. Although I have to admit that I can't actually remember when I last raced online without checking LFSW, so that may have changed in the intervening months.

LFS has suffered from hard-core veteran racers leaving for iRacing. LFS has suffered from it's own success and accessibility, in attracting too many kids that have no car driving experience and struggle to learn mature racecraft. LFS has suffered (controversial one here) from too many cruisers which take it away from the thing that made it a success in the first place: plain & simple public pick-up racing. And most of all, the lack of new features and new environments has made it grow stale for me. It's not about expecting updates for free, LFS is already fantastic value. I'd happily fork out a tenner or £15 for an extra couple of tracks and cars, call it S2½ if you like. But I can't help but feel that LFS needs a shot in the arm if it's going to lead the way once again.
my pc probably wont support iracing if i tried. but i havent really played lfs for awhile either.
i haven't touched lfs for months now, partly because i'm sick of the current content, but mainly because of the lack of decent servers/combos. Most of the highly populated servers i see are drift or cruise. Its almost impossible to find a race server with turbo/fxo/rb4 or fz50/lx/rac with even just a few people.
#86 - Woz
I have not even tried the iRacing demo. Any game/sim that wants $20USD ($40NZD) just for the demo can go jump. I have not forgot the attack against the NR2K3 community to pay for a demo

I have no idea how much they managed to advance the NR2K3 engine but I assume its not a quantum leap.

Paying loads each month just to have a go at a race every couple of hours just to get wrecked then having to buy each car means I might never take a look tbh.

LFS players come and go. I have not touched LFS in MANY months now but once new content comes I will start up again. The trouble with LFS is burn out. The new car will help but new tracks are the key TBH.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :No, the numbers of active players is not declinating. If you go to LFS Desktop, click two times on "Racers and hosts online" and then on "History", you'll see that the number of racers online per day is continually growing.

Only for Licensed players. Demo Players have dropped off massively in the last year. In fact there was a massive drop about 8 months ago and it's never recovered. Since then the overall trend in numbers has been downward. Not good for the future of the game. It would be ok if the numbers were staying static and licenses were growing as this would indicate that after checking out the demo a proportion were buying the game. However a downward trend in demo users is potentially bad thing. It indicates a dropping off of the number of people even trying the game. Eventually it will lead to a stagnation in new licenses and then the number of license players will stop growing.

Of course the stats only show how many are actually on line, not the total numbers, (I believe), so there could be some variance there, but I suspect the overall trends would be the same if you had access to the actual totals figures.
Did iRacing Kill LFS?
No, it's not i-racing. It's a lack of any real updates in well over 1 year.
I'd also say that LFS is not dead, but it's slowly dying.
Unfortunately I don't think the Scirocco alone will save it either; it will need more new content than just a car. It will need new tracks, physics updates and improvements to the internal structure (rather than relying in community servers+insim apps).

I haven't lost all hope yet, but every day that nothing happens I lose a bit more. Sad, as this is my favourite bit of software ever.
Quote from farcar :Did iRacing Kill LFS?
No, it's not i-racing. It's a lack of any real updates in well over 1 year.
I'd also say that LFS is not dead, but it's slowly dying.
Unfortunately I don't think the Scirocco alone will save it either; it will need more new content than just a car. It will need new tracks, physics updates and improvements to the internal structure (rather than relying in community servers+insim apps).

I haven't lost all hope yet, but every day that nothing happens I lose a bit more. Sad, as this is my favourite bit of software ever.

An S3 update with new content would be nice indeed, but i don't think that will happen soon. I tried Race07, GTR2, rFactor but i can't get used to that and i hate the helmet view.
Quote from Shotglass :mi i usually play through 1 and 2 every year or so

I think that's a standard ritual for everyone that played those when they were first released.

Quote from Shotglass : as for stunts im afraid crashday totally ruined that fond memory

That makes me pretty glad I didn't fall for Crashday - it seems like it would've of attempted to destroy all the precious time I had invested in Deathtrack as well.
Quote from xaotik :I think that's a standard ritual for everyone that played those when they were first released.

if it isnt it damn better well should be... which reminds me i still havent bought an mt32

Quote :That makes me pretty glad I didn't fall for Crashday - it seems like it would've of attempted to destroy all the precious time I had invested in Deathtrack as well.

never played that one... but its nowhere near the standard a combination of stunts and death rally should be at
the worst part is i was really looking forward to that game for a year or so
Grim Fandango killed Monkey Island for me.

I should quit before I get lynched.
Quote from Shotglass :if it isnt it damn better well should be... which reminds me i still havent bought an mt32

Precisely the reason I bought Monkey Island a second time when the CD version was out.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Grim Fandango killed Monkey Island for me.

You know, I missed out on that one - when that came out I was either nowhere near computers or only around them for work. I think I should make up.
The one downside is that if you get stuck, the repeating wisecracks can start to wear you down. But if you don't get stuck all the dialogue is great.
Quote from gezmoor :Eventually it will lead to a stagnation in new licenses and then the number of license players will stop growing.

As long as we're analyzing aggregate figures from LFS we are making an apple to oranges comparison, since in iRacing there's -well- only racing (no pun intended)

OTOH LFS has three souls, and as far as public servers go, ignoring for a moment the new TBO wave, most activity seems to be revolving around cruising and drifting.

So even if aggregate figures are growing, pickup racing could be declining as well, and this is another plausible reason for people leaving LFS for something else.
Quote from xaotik :Precisely the reason I bought Monkey Island a second time when the CD version was out.

pregenerated music on a <95 game? blasphemy

Quote :You know, I missed out on that one - when that came out I was either nowhere near computers or only around them for work. I think I should make up.

judging from mi4 (which is shit btw) the control in fandango are bad enough to make you want to never play it again after ~10 minutes
Quote from Shotglass :pregenerated music on a <95 game? blasphemy

The pregenerated music version was pre-95 as well. I think it came out sometime after MI2 or something. So that makes it around '92-'93 just about when Gabriel Knight was coming around and definetely after Rise Of The Dragon and Heart of China. I'm pretty surprised those titles even surfaced up in my brain - I guess that pretty much proves why I can't remember worth shit nowadays.
I don't think that Iracing killed lfs and i don't think is dead yet too.
...allthough it's my favorite racing simulator since 2005, i must admit that lfs lost his charm.(imo)
I know that is basically a three people project and i respect that, but i also think that new content should show up faster, to maintain the interess.
I would be happy for aloooong time with, 3-5 new cars (rally car or classics/ new or old models) 2 - 4 more diferent tracks ( one rally stage per example or montain) and something new and fresh like weather changes to start testing. New and fresh stuff.
I do love this product, but...and this is actually the first time im saying this...it's getting boring.
On top of that we have the ending of CTRA System and servers, that will probably do much more damage than Iracing.
Im afraid that one of this days, a new sim will pop up and if its a proper rival sim...and if you add slow lfs development and no ctra, along with all those other sims and good games...that would probably kill lfs. Not instantanly but slowly.
I really think they should grow up as a team, adding new dev's and showing that kind of investment would show people that it's getting bigger and better now and in the future. Not doing so, will bring the idea of being stagnant, and since it's not a finish product is even worse.
But i still do love lfs ... ... not using it anymore though.
Quote from FOX 1977 :I don't think that Iracing killed lfs and i don't think is dead yet too.
...allthough it's my favorite racing simulator since 2005, i must admit that lfs lost his charm.(imo)
I know that is basically a three people project and i respect that, but i also think that new content should show up faster, to maintain the interess.
I would be happy for aloooong time with, 3-5 new cars (rally car or classics/ new or old models) 2 - 4 more diferent tracks ( one rally stage per example or montain) and something new and fresh like weather changes to start testing. New and fresh stuff.
I do love this product, but...and this is actually the first time im saying this...it's getting boring.
On top of that we have the ending of CTRA System and servers, that will probably do much more damage than Iracing.
Im afraid that one of this days, a new sim will pop up and if its a proper rival sim...and if you add slow lfs development and no ctra, along with all those other sims and good games...that would probably kill lfs. Not instantanly but slowly.
I really think they should grow up as a team, adding new dev's and showing that kind of investment would show people that it's getting bigger and better now and in the future. Not doing so, will bring the idea of being stagnant, and since it's not a finish product is even worse.
But i still do love lfs ... ... not using it anymore though.

CTRA should not be an issue because it's userbased content. But i think you are right, a lot of people only drove CTRA (i did too for a long time).

The horizon will always change over time. Altavista is dead, Google is alive, Word Perfect is dead, MS Word is alive, Testdrive was gone for a long time, Need for Speed took over the lead. But if that can happen to LFS, LFS never had the lead i think. It was always a small group of enthousiastic users that liked it. Most people in my surounding have never heard of it (but they have never heard of iRacing either).
Quote from xaotik :The pregenerated music version was pre-95 as well. I think it came out sometime after MI2 or something. So that makes it around '92-'93 just about when Gabriel Knight was coming around and definetely after Rise Of The Dragon and Heart of China. I'm pretty surprised those titles even surfaced up in my brain - I guess that pretty much proves why I can't remember worth shit nowadays.

that doesnt make it any better though... all good game music has been mixed in real time be it the amazing midi intro of mi2 the great mods of epic pinball or the sublime wavetables of descent and changing a gam with a bloody great roland soundtrack like mi2 into something that just plays back a cd is an offence worthy of capital punishment

Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG