The online racing simulator
Quote from evilpimp :Wrong, watch the replay, no one was behind them they were all further up.

Tbh I would've done the same as you and would've let Vickers spin trying to block a car thats already beside him. But given that he did go down, he could've avoided that huge pileup by simply lifting slightly more and blending back in catching Vickers draft and getting him later on.

Yeah, watching the replay again I see that the camera decieved me and the car coming were a bit higher up (even though not to him yet). I still blame Vickers for not only starting the whole deal but for not just spinning to the inside.
Oh cmon you can't blame someone for trying to catch a slide and not ruining his race lol.

Meh, you didn't convince me that it wasn't dale's bad too. I think its Vickers bad for starting the whole thing but Dale's bad because he could've easily avoided it.
Quote from evilpimp :Oh cmon you can't blame someone for trying to catch a slide and not ruining his race lol.

Meh, you didn't convince me that it wasn't dale's bad too. I think its Vickers bad for starting the whole thing but Dale's bad because he could've easily avoided it.

Vickers could have easily avoided it too, way sooner than Jr infact.

I don't see a bad in Jr because he barely clipped the rear end like I said before, its not like they hit wheel to wheel.

Vickers bad for the initial block.
Jr's bad for the incidental contact.
Vickers bad for destroying his car and the rest of the field.
i just want to bring into another aspect:
in the nationwide race, there was almost the same happening and the guy got a 5 lap penalty for it. so why didn't Jr get one as well?

or did nascar make a mistake with the 5 lap penalty. either way this season is promising so far *g*
Quote from Fischfix :i just want to bring into another aspect:
in the nationwide race, there was almost the same happening and the guy got a 5 lap penalty for it. so why didn't Jr get one as well?

or did nascar make a mistake with the 5 lap penalty. either way this season is promising so far *g*

Ok, Leffler got a 5 lap penalty because that was deemed intentional by NASCAR. Junior's actions were not. Junior never hit the side of Vickers' car, but rubbed the bumper. Leffler hit Steve Wallace square on the left rear quarterpanel, not even close to being clear.

The main difference is that Junior's move back up the track was a direct result of Vickers pushing him below the yellow line, whereas Leffler was running a lower line for half the backstretch without either car deviating from their line. Leffler then, unnecesarily, moved back up to merge while clearly *not* being behind Wallace's car. Intentional or not, that was a stupid move, but my guess is that it actually was intentional.
I agree that it was Vicker's fault for that crash, but it wasn't the crash that was the worst part IMO, it's the fact that NASCAR has gotten in the habit of making things up as they go. This year, race called on account of rain at 6PM; strange considering they raced at 2AM to finish the 500 a few years ago...
Quote from Falcon140 :I agree that it was Vicker's fault for that crash, but it wasn't the crash that was the worst part IMO, it's the fact that NASCAR has gotten in the habit of making things up as they go. This year, race called on account of rain at 6PM; strange considering they raced at 2AM to finish the 500 a few years ago...

Well not the Daytona 500 (I think it was a California race) but I get what you mean, very frustrating. Calling the race at 6pm, when the broadcast goes on until 7:30 doesn't make much sense to me either, but at least they got to televize all their awesome commercials that we all love and cherish.

BTW, it did consistantly ran until about 10pm that night at Daytona, but the whole fact of calling the race that early is rather frustrating.
I was pissed that they called it, but I also would have been pissed if I was attending the race and had to sit in the rain until 11 pm and THEN Nascar called the race. They could tell it wasn't going to stop any time soon and it would take a long time to dry such a huge track at night.

What they should have done is started the race an hour earlier, they could have given people at least a day's notice to get there early and they had like 1.5 hours of prerace show anyway.

Also I loved all the non-Nascar fans at my work arguing about why they don't use rain tires the day after. I didn't even get involved in that one.
Quote from UncleBenny :I was pissed that they called it, but I also would have been pissed if I was attending the race and had to sit in the rain until 11 pm and THEN Nascar called the race. They could tell it wasn't going to stop any time soon and it would take a long time to dry such a huge track at night.

What they should have done is started the race an hour earlier, they could have given people at least a day's notice to get there early and they had like 1.5 hours of prerace show anyway.

Also I loved all the non-Nascar fans at my work arguing about why they don't use rain tires the day after. I didn't even get involved in that one.

I would be going to jail for murder if I got in that argument.
/facepalm

Don't get me started on rain tires...
Alright, at the risk of sounding idiotic to the stockcar/oval community here.

Can someone give me a serious explanation why rain tires wasn't and "cant" be used at Daytona?

I'm not contesting anything just want to be informed
The softer compounds needed for rain tires would be destroyed by the stock cars. Too much force goes into the tires, and the car weighs so much, that they wouldn't last more than a few laps. Nationwide used them in Montreal last year, but it was more a publicity stunt than anything else. Of course, nothing beats Edwards cleaning his windshield with a Swiffer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S2_UJsE39o
Ohh and I was there at Montreal watching them! I saw him wiping his windshield !

It was suicide to drive in that lol, so many people messed up bad in the rain!
It was such unfamiliar territory for all of them. It was pretty stupid if you ask me.
Yeah and Villeneuve the idiot didn't put windshield wipers when they all pit for some and he just ran into someone under caution -_-. It was still fun to watch! Spiced it up a little .
Oh yea, it was a good watch for sure. I was laughing most of the race.
Yeah I think the rain tires work OK on the road courses but it just doesn't work for ovals. Like Falcon said you'd tear the tires up. Also I think the spray coming off the cars would be ridiculous and no one would be able to see anything. Its not like a road course where the cars are spread out and are doing 1:30 laps or longer, these are smaller ovals with 43 cars packed on them, and they would just keeping kicking up more and more water. Also, again its not like a road course where you go off the track into the grass most of the time(Monaco not included). Watching F1 in the rain is hilarious because they are sliding all over the place, they go off in the grass and come back. You do that on an oval though and you're sliding into a concrete wall and your day is over, so there is no room for error. It would be yellow flags all day long.

Honestly though it would be funny to see them try and do an oval in the rain, just so we could see how much of a failure it is. I'd put that on my list of things I'd love to see Nascar do once, right behind letting them race Talladega without restrictor plates.
Thank you for the response Falcon/Benny.

I actually do think that the NASCAR race at Montreal was quite good. I mean the rain tires held up pretty decently on road courses. However I can see how the tires would be instantly shredded on ovals.

That Montreal race again went pretty well. Only one guy lost control during race conditions and that was Max Papis (not a NASCAR driver). That last melee at the end was just due to the rain coming down too hard too quickly and many cars didn't have windshield wipers.

When it comes to that race, it was such an unfamiliar territory that I'm quite impressed by the NASCAR driver's respectable performance. Personally I hope to see that again
Quote from evilpimp :Yeah and Villeneuve the idiot didn't put windshield wipers when they all pit for some and he just ran into someone under caution -_-. It was still fun to watch! Spiced it up a little .

Villeneuve asked for the wipers but they just didnt have any for his car. For Villeneuve to continue to race in the rain without wipers was brave and suicidal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WinlGmqlFNU

Quote from Fischfix :i just want to bring into another aspect:

That penalty against Leffler in the Nationwide race was just Bull
The memories...

Poor him then, he was doing pretty damn well but I think I would've taken the same decision but I'd stick my head out of the window to see were im going wiping my visor with the gloves every once in a while xD.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG