(223 posts, started )
Ooh, this too!

#54 - senn
Can't believe some of these haven't made it in

#55 - Jakg

Form < Function.

Especially for an F1 car.
#56 - SamH
Bugger me, I saw Jak posting and I figured it'd have to be an MG livery. I bet when he reads this, he'll kick himself
Quote from Jakg :

Form > Function.

I know what you meant, but you got it backwards.
#58 - SamH
For me, the epics have to be the Martini and Castrol liveries. They are by far the most distinctive of all liveries, ever. Close followers are the Lancia/Alitalia and the silver Audi with red rings.

Other epics of note are the Renault 2006 and the old Rothmans, the JPS and the latter-day McLaren Vodaphone.

Epic fail must go to Honda's cluttered and incomprehensible "Earth" livery which, though I'm sure it looked great on paper, was shockingly attrocious on the car itself. I still have no idea how it was allowed to make it as far as the pitlane.
#59 - SamH
Quote from Lateralus :I know what you meant, but you got it backwards.

hehe yeah.. form FOLLOWS function
Quote from Stefani24 :I absoluteley LOVE this car.
His looks, how its driven, just EVERTHING.

I thought the whole "im gay" thing from before was a joke
#61 - JJ72
Quote from Jakg :

Form > Function.

Especially for an F1 car.

What's the function with having no livery?
Quote from deggis :Patchwork.

I'm sorry if you don't like it I have just always been fond of that livery on that car.
Quote from deggis :I'll complete the 917 family with the "Pink Pig":

That Pink Pig is a beauty lol. Love this thread.
Bike invasion!

-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
/me Brings out the chainsaw.
I personaly like bike racing and it has alot of fine livaries
#68 - Jakg
Quote from SamH :Bugger me, I saw Jak posting and I figured it'd have to be an MG livery. I bet when he reads this, he'll kick himself

Good point - 2 best skins ever are this and this
Quote from Lateralus :I know what you meant, but you got it backwards.

Crap. Edited!
Quote from JJ72 :What's the function with having no livery?

F1 rules said max weight of 750 KG (excluding fuel and tires) - the car weighed 751 with a nice white paintjob.

Removed all the paint and the car weighed 750 KG...
I'd say that iconic liveries also include the later-day BASF liveries - crazy concentric circle mayhem and the striped m-series BMW liveries.

A pretty concise list of the Porsche liveries, together with some blurb, which were posted in this thread can also be found here:

http://speedhunters.com/archiv ... nic-porsche-liveries.aspx

And thinking of the BASF livery's most dizzying rendition on the M1s made me remember Andy Warhols "art car" - which was pretty cool, considering.
#70 - JJ72
Quote from Jakg :F1 rules said max weight of 750 KG (excluding fuel and tires) - the car weighed 751 with a nice white paintjob.

Removed all the paint and the car weighed 750 KG...

but they can easily take 1kg out of the car in other parts. The paint helps reduces drag too.

the livery has a very important functional value - carry sponsors, without sponsors you can't even afford to build the car.
Quote from JJ72 :
the livery has a very important functional value - carry sponsors, without sponsors you can't even afford to build the car.

Surely you actually looked at the image in question, right? It's a Mercedes W195 from the 1950s, which was ~15 years before sponsor logos came to F1. The factories themselves paid to build the cars. IIRC teams were actually required to run national colors. Sponsorship was never considered.
#73 - Osco
Quote from JJ72 :but they can easily take 1kg out of the car in other parts. The paint helps reduces drag too.

care to explain?
#74 - Jakg
It evens out all the bumps and is more slippery.

Theres a reason why "poor" F1 teams use stickers, and Ferrari etc have all the ads painted on with the car...
#75 - mr_x

Coolest racing car liveries
(223 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG